PDA

View Full Version : The best AI in a game

Reclaimer
08-05-2003, 09:50 PM
What game do you think has the best AI? Why?
There is one thing I hate when I play a game and that's stupid enemies. Enemies like in Gunmetal that won't engage you unless you cross some invisible line even though you can clearly see each other.
Every game now incorporates some kind of NPC AI, and it seems like that's the way it should be. Halo made everyone aware of what it was and what it should be, at least to a certain point. Even in Halo, the AI get's a little shaky from time to time. Meaning, if your Marines where truly smart, they wouldn't get in your way. Even the Covenenant get stupid, and totally ignored the fact you where attacking them occasionally.
Mace Griffin had some improvements, but to me, it's starting to feel like "well scripted events" rather than making me feel like the enemy is really trying every way possible to kick my ass.
People say that Brute Force has great AI, but I think that only pertains to your team, and only in certain moments. If I could only make Brutus stop running in front of me while I'm shooting. The enemies all do pretty much the same thing. Run out and shoot, then fall back and hide. Then repeat.
Ghost Recon has it pretty good. The enemies duck and cover, and sometimes start crawling away. They move about, and from what I noticed, they will ambush you if given a chance. Of course, if you played the game, you know your team is right on. They know what to do, and when to do it. But the only thing I hate is that they take cover out in the open. Meaning, if I hit the dirt behing an object and look back, some of my squad are laying down out in the road. That's really not self preservation.

So anyway, what do you think has the best AI?

Are game makers even getting close to creating good AI? Or is it all just well scripted events?

AlBoogy
08-05-2003, 10:09 PM
I think most peoples answer is going to be Halo(even though there are times where it gets shaky like you pointed out). Thats what made the game so good IMO. The aliens reacted to grenades, MC, etc.. There are things the game lacks in but the enemy AI more then makes up for it.

Shadow20002
08-06-2003, 12:27 AM
I like the way of Halo and i think Halo 2 will be better. But anyone, have you guys check the trailer of Half-Life 2 ? The AI are just too crazy. The ennemies are in extreme condition to neutralize you, they think every bit of strategy to get rid of you. Ths one will be the king for sure..... :cheers:

l Maximus l
08-06-2003, 12:29 AM
Halo, hands down... That's what makes the Campaign so great...eventhough I never play it :D The Campaign, that is...I play multi-player all the time, though!

canadianboi3
08-06-2003, 12:29 AM
I think the enemy AI in Ghost Recon is very good, but your team's AI is bad. I hate when they will like you say hit the ground out in the open, as you hide behind a tree. Ghost Recon's enemies are pretty good though.

Reclaimer
08-06-2003, 12:53 AM
I'm just waiting for the day that there will be a game where I am totally convinced that the enemy is actually trying to kill me by their own means. As opposed to just encounter and return fire.
Ghost Recon has it going on, but nearly as much as I would like.
And as for Halo, like I said, people would turn to Halo as the prime example for AI, but it's not consistent.

LynxFX
08-06-2003, 02:09 AM
Kind of a toss up. The first Half-Life had incredible AI that I still think is hard to beat even though this was 5 years ago. The military guys would run squad patterns and flush you out. State of the art back then. Like Shadow2002 said, Half Life 2 will no doubt put all AI to date to shame. Halo 2 has its work cut out for it if it wants to compete with that.

Halo's AI was pretty good though for the most part. Only complaint was that no one would drive the vehicles.

A highly underrated game Deathrow has some pretty good AI, both team and enemy.

Unreal Tournament 2k3 and UC also have some decent AI when you crank it up.

JJaX
08-06-2003, 02:14 AM
Any RTS game on super hard.

(starcraft, Warcraft III)

RadRider
08-06-2003, 02:17 AM
UT2003's AI is hardcore when you set it to Inhuman. Craziness I tell you.
Also there's this little strategy game I downloaded called Pax Solaris. The AI in that is really, really freaking hard. Even easy games take a good long battle to win.

JJaX
08-06-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by RadRider
UT2003's AI is hardcore when you set it to Inhuman. Craziness I tell you.
Also there's this little strategy game I downloaded called Pax Solaris. The AI in that is really, really freaking hard. Even easy games take a good long battle to win.

Har har har...Your joking right? :p

UTs bots on Godlike arent even that tough. They are to predictable.

SPARTAN VI
08-06-2003, 05:13 AM
Originally posted by JJaX

Har har har...Your joking right? :p

UTs bots on Godlike arent even that tough. They are to predictable.

Predictable when they're not using their perfect Lightening gun ballistics. It just seems when games describe 'difficulty' it relates more to how much damage an enemy can take/dish out, or they have mad aim with a sniper rifle or they just throw in some more stupid enemies... they always leave out the 'they're smarter' part. Except Halo- the covey's do dish out more and recieve more, but they're noticably smarter. [On Halo's Legendary difficulty] Have you ever gotten held up behind a rock with your shields out, only to find a nosey Jackal plant his sheild in your face and unload fresh plasma into your helpless face? They're much more ambitious and aggressive, not as timid as they are on easy, normal, or heroic. I like. :D

TheCovenant
08-06-2003, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by SPARTAN VI

Predictable when they're not using their perfect Lightening gun ballistics. It just seems when games describe 'difficulty' it relates more to how much damage an enemy can take/dish out, or they have mad aim with a sniper rifle or they just throw in some more stupid enemies... they always leave out the 'they're smarter' part. Except Halo- the covey's do dish out more and recieve more, but they're noticably smarter. [On Halo's Legendary difficulty] Have you ever gotten held up behind a rock with your shields out, only to find a nosey Jackal plant his sheild in your face and unload fresh plasma into your helpless face? They're much more ambitious and aggressive, not as timid as they are on easy, normal, or heroic. I like. :D

Id have to go with spartan on this one. Elites jackals even grunts have the important roles in tactical battlefield strategies, including a retreat strategy. It may be hard to notice, but there are a lot of things going on i halos ooutside battles. And marines do drive vehicles just not warhogs, or tanks........uhh.....well i know the drive ghosts thats for sure.

but the covenant know whats up on that battlefield. Indoors, however, sometimes it seems less hectic..........

CarGuy
08-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Perfect AI!? Have you watched "The Matrix"?!? :p

runninutes
08-06-2003, 08:34 AM
If you want to see how good the AI is in Half-Life 2, go to http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/downloads.html and download some of the videos there. My favorite is the Traptown demonstration. It actually shows some smart enemies and some stupid ones. The coolest AI moments, I think, are just after Gordon gets inside the building - he pushes a table covered with stuff in front of the door. The enemy (a human) tries to push open the door a couple of times, and can't, so he runs over to a window and starts shooting in. He's not having much luck from that angle, so he tries the other window. While he's doing that, another guy manages to kick the door in, knocking down the table (if I'm remembering right). That demo also shows some really cool, non-scripted interaction with the environment.

If you're looking strictly for AI, be warned that not all of those demos have enemies. Traptown, Tunnels, and Bugbait definitely do, though.

warriorboy0302
08-06-2003, 09:37 AM
I think Gauntlet for NES has the best AI. You can't come around a corner without them already coming after you.:)

Hugopolo
08-06-2003, 10:33 AM
Im going to have to agree with Lynxfx-XBA because those soldiers are hard that was the first game i ever played where enemies would throw grenades at me and they wouldn't just follwo you ar ound they find cover and spread out

borka105
08-06-2003, 10:36 AM
project gotham racing

rallisport challenge

GT 3

MOTOgp 2 on LEGEND

-borka105

JJaX
08-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Borka your sig rocks!!!!! :cool: :D