PDA

View Full Version : Game Freezes??

robnyack
12-16-2001, 12:03 AM
We have had the xbox since it's launch. For the first 2-3 weeks everything played great. Then I got NBA live 2002 and the game kept locking up everytime I put it in. Thought maybe it was the disc, so I returned it for another one. New one seem to play fine, so end of problem....so I thought.

Today, I put in Madden 2002. FREEZE. Try again. FREEZE. Again. FREEZE. And again, and again. First time I had a problem with that game. Put in NFL Fever,.....FREEZE. again and again. Munch's OddWorld....FREEZE.

Needless to say, I was FURIOUS!! I called EB and ask if they had any complaints of this and the guy said no, but they were told the game would lock up if it overheats or if it gets too dusty. Neither of these seem to apply to my situation.

I have the extended warrenty, so I'll just go get another one if it happens again. But, I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem?

GokuX
12-16-2001, 02:49 AM
Get a CD lens cleaner disk and run it once or twice, that may be the problem.

Hugh_Jass
12-16-2001, 08:55 AM
I thought you weren't supposed to use a CD lens cleaner on a DVD drive?!?

robnyack
12-16-2001, 09:23 AM
I certianly wont be doing that.

The dvds are not dirty....unless the came dirty out of the box!

1 disc, I can understand. Like when it first happened to me with NBA Live. Bad luck, get a bad dvd. So, take it back and get a new one. No big deal.

But, whats been going on the last 24hrs is not just a dirty disk. I'm getting game locks almost every time I try a game. And it's not due to overheating, and I highly doubt it due to dust. And I swear, unlike some other kid on here, I did not put it in the freezer! ;)

Is anyone else experiencing this?

gameslave
12-16-2001, 09:27 AM
I had a DVD movie freeze up on me but my whole system was screwed up. See my post called "The Day My Xbox Died". Did you happen to move your Xbox around while it was turned on with a game in it?

robnyack
12-16-2001, 09:31 AM
I read your post, guy. And, no, we did not move it while on. We have moved it back and forth from the living to the bedroom, but never when it's on.

I think I'm calling EB today and seeing if I can get another one. LOVE da Box! Hopefully, i just have a bad unit.

gameslave
12-16-2001, 09:40 AM
I have the extended warrenty too and I asked the guy at EB what would happen if the new box eats it and he said the warrenty was good for a whole year and they would replace it! I just hope it was a bad one cause the Xbox kicks a*s and I can't go back to the POS2 or get a Lamecube kiddy toy! :D Good luck!

robnyack
12-16-2001, 11:32 AM
btw....this morning, I've had NO PROBLEMS!!! What the...??????

But, I'm am still taking it back and getting a new one!

robnyack
12-16-2001, 04:42 PM
just to update folks on my dilemma, I returned my xbox today to EB and got a new one in it's place.

The EB guy told me they ahve had "several" returned due to problems similar to mine. He said those that did not buy the extended warrenty are going to be very unhappy!

Real easy to take it back. No questions asked, and the guy told me, I can keep briging it back as long as I have to, to get one that works the way I expect it to.....not that I want to do that, but, it's nice to know I can. Just be sure to keep your receipt and extended warrenty receipt in a safe place and keep the box too.

xbox...GET IT!.....and um, also get the extended warrenty just in case :D

Still wouldn't trade it for 10 PS2's or 10 GCs
:p

smack119
12-16-2001, 04:51 PM
by dvd you are talking about the games?? im confused... it sounds like your tlaking about games but your saying dvd....and it sounds to me like you got dust on the lense.....it the xbox was broke it would be broke everytime...... not be broke, then not be broke, then be broke again.

but hey if you got a new one and it works thats great.....although your posts sound like they happened over the course of a couple days.... how long did it take cuz i wouldnt want to be without my xbox very long

robnyack
12-16-2001, 09:06 PM
smack,

xbox games are made on dvd discs, so when I say "dvds", I'm referring to the games.

The guy at EB said they've been told overheating and dust could cause games to freeze up. I know for sure it was not from overheating, and I am less sure about the dust issue, but, it could have been the problem. I'm just not sure.

My original problem hit about 2 weeks ago with my new game, NBA Live freezing up constantly. Before that, had a couple weeks of no problems whatsoever. Figured it was the disc, so I returned it for a new one. Everythings was fine for the next couple weeks up till about 48hrs ago. Then all of a sudden every game I put in was freezing up. Then this morning, everything seemed fine again. So I have no idea.

My new unit though will be getting some sort of dust cover, I can assure you that. Taking no chances!

smack119
12-16-2001, 10:07 PM
i knew they are on dvd's... but most people refer to the games as "games" and to dvd movie as "dvd"... no biggie though i got what you ment.... as for a dust cover.....just make sure it doesnt cover the vents or anything like that