PDA

View Full Version : What other good rpg's than KOTOR

MetalSludge
08-08-2003, 07:29 PM
I just finished KOTOR and it was my first RPG I ever played and it was awesome. What are some other good RPG titles out there?

AlBoogy
08-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Are you limiting yourself to Xbox only? If so, I really cant suggest anything as I havent played any rpg's on xbox (other then KOTOR of course). Many around here seem to like Morrowind but I havent bothered because I hear it is extremely open ended. Ive never really played pc type rpg's so I think it might be way too much for me.

MetalSludge
08-08-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Are you limiting yourself to Xbox only? If so, I really cant suggest anything as I havent played any rpg's on xbox (other then KOTOR of course). Many around here seem to like Morrowind but I havent bothered because I hear it is extremely open ended. Ive never really played pc type rpg's so I think it might be way too much for me.

No i also have a ps2

AlBoogy
08-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by MetalSludge

No i also have a ps2

Well then you have hit the jackpot. Check out FFX and Kingdom Hearts. There are many others but I suggest to start there.

MetalSludge
08-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Thanks bud

pepitonet
08-08-2003, 10:43 PM
besides morrowinds we have shenmue which also falls into rpg style game it is really god the only problem it might have is that has PS graphics since it was a port from dreamcast but since oyu have a ps2 as well i don't think you will have a problem with it

MetalSludge
08-08-2003, 10:57 PM
I have been hearing alot about this Shenmue game lately. I might have to check it out.

Lord Vivic
08-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Have any of you all tried playing Pirates of the Caribbean?It is a good game once you find your way around the screwups.It is quite easy to get around them.

MetalSludge
08-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by Lord Vivic
Have any of you all tried playing Pirates of the Caribbean?It is a good game once you find your way around the screwups.It is quite easy to get around them.

My cousin got that game and he hates it. I might borrow and see if I like it.

Arven
08-09-2003, 10:05 AM
On Xbox, the only other good RPG I've played was Morrowind. It was my first RPG, and I loved it. It's open-ended, like AlBoogy said, but you can stick to the main quest if you want to (it's as open-ended as you want to make it, in other words). It's not as refined and polished as KOTOR, and you've got a lot of text to read rather than the great voice-acting in KOTOR, but Morrowind is still a personal favorite, and a great game imo. You might want to pick up the strategy guide if you buy it, because it can be a little overwhelming at first.

I was disappointed with the PS2's RPGs. One of the main reasons I bought the PS2 was because I'd heard it was home to all kinds of great RPGs. But when I played them, I didn't like them: too restrictive/linear, kiddy characters, and turn-based fighting.

MetalSludge
08-09-2003, 10:20 AM
I think I might just hold out for fable

CarGuy
08-09-2003, 11:14 AM
You'll have to wait for the easter bunny to bring it to you then, Spring 2004. :(

AlBoogy
08-09-2003, 12:22 PM
I saw someone mention Shenmue 2. It is a RPG but it is NOTHING like what youd expect. It is a big world, lots of things to do. It has real time fighting but also button pressing sensitive incidents. What I mean by this is at times your character will be in a situation and to advance, or avoid things, you have to press the button that pops up on screen. I could go on and on about Shenmue because I love it. But dont expect anything like KOTOR or any other traditional RPG's.

Lord Vivic
08-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Could you relate Shenmue 2 to Morrowind,besides it is an RPG.And,Morrowind is awsome,though is there an end to the game?I beat the main quest,I Am champion of the fighters guild,I am Warlock in the Mages Guild,I am Knight of the Imperial Dragon in the Imperial Legion,I am Grand Master in House Haaliu,I am a Magician in House Telvonni,I am......well somewhere in the high ranks in House Rederon,I am a Deciple in the Imperial Cult,ETC,is there an end to this game?Even if there is not it is still cool.I know there isn't an end to the game because there is not an end yet,the expansions haven't come out yet either.

y2kash_14
08-09-2003, 05:55 PM
you're in luck...the PSOne is the holy grail of RPG's :D Though some people have had trouble playing PSOne games on a PS2, it's worth a shot. Plus you can get some of the best RPG's for a low price. I recomend:

Final Fantasy games
Suikoden I & II (my favorite)
Dragon Warrior games

and there are a few good games for PS2 also....

Final Fantasy X (awesome)
Kingdom Hearts

as for Xbox...KOTOR is really the only worthy RPG

MetalSludge
08-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by y2kash_14
you're in luck...the PSOne is the holy grail of RPG's :D Though some people have had trouble playing PSOne games on a PS2, it's worth a shot. Plus you can get some of the best RPG's for a low price. I recomend:

Final Fantasy games
Suikoden I & II (my favorite)
Dragon Warrior games

and there are a few good games for PS2 also....

Final Fantasy X (awesome)
Kingdom Hearts

as for Xbox...KOTOR is really the only worthy RPG

Thanks I will check into the ps1 games. most of them around here are like 10 bucks

Lord Vivic
08-10-2003, 01:05 AM
The Final Fanticy series are real good but after a while they get boring.I have FF8 and I was bored of it by the third disk.

TuffEagle88
08-31-2003, 11:30 PM
Let me just say this before I fall asleep: I didn't like Shenmue 2. I found it to be boring, the scenery was beautiful, but the endings sucked and all of the non player characters would say the exact same thing each time you talked to them. The fighting system was ok. The buttons that must be pushed to avoid objects, fight, ect. at certain times are called QTE (quick timer events) I find them to be the most entertaining parts of the game because you get to watch him seemless perform difficult moves and kick butt when they are pressed correctly.

The game can get very boring and frusterating and it doesn't focus enough of the different characters and places to be a real good rpg and it wasn't enough of a fighting game to get any credit there either.

Either get morrowind (which I haven't played but hear is good), or do what I'm doing and save your money for Fable.