PDA

View Full Version : Stop The Hype!!!

Conchord
08-10-2003, 03:47 PM
All I'm saying is, if you are a developer, and you know the game isn't going to be ready in like 2 years, or it's gonna be pushed back for sure, then don't announce to the public what you're working on. The reason is because I'm sick of waiting for games to come out, and it ****es me off when people announce a game that's in the 'idea' stages of development. They were talking about Halo 2 a month after Halo came out....and it still isn't here. I think what Valve did for Half-Life 2 (which was only supposed to be on PC, but xbox stole the light again....*******s :) ) was PERFECT-they didn't announce what they were doing or release any gameplay information on it until it was almost comletely done and ready for release. I have been waiting for...BC, Fable, True Crime, Halo frickin 2, Doom III, KOTOR (it was pretty good, could've been better), and Brute Force (WAY overhyped). All hype does to a game is make it less likely to be as good as we think. So can it, you ******* developers, until your ready to give something to the public.

AlBoogy
08-10-2003, 04:39 PM
Im trying very hard not to flame you. First of all, Bungie never announced Halo 2 a month after Halo. As a matter of fact, they said many times they were going to take a bit of a break because they were working so hard on getting Halo out on launch.

Hype is what YOU make of it. YOU are the one that is hyping it within yourself. Everyone else is hyped about Halo 2, not me. I know there is stuff coming now, and that is what im excited about. When Halo2 comes out, thats when I get hyped. So, in conclusion, you are the one at fault for the hype, not the companies. They just put the info out there and attempt to make us hype it to the gaming community. You fall for it hook, line and sinker.

FuNkY mOnK
08-10-2003, 06:28 PM
Xbocks it's called marketing son, something you know nothing of. These developers have their ass on the line and hyping the game stirs up frenzy till cash in time. Speaking of hype what ever happened to strident and duality?

RadRider
08-10-2003, 09:08 PM
What about Xavier Fox? Have you heard about it even? They did a small media blitz just to get the game into people's eyes in the hopes of snatching a publisher. That still hasn't happened yet, and the game might not come out because of it.
Sometimes hype is a necessary evil, the rest of the time you can just ignore it.
If you read about a game, and see a release date for it, then add another year onto that date and you're relatively safe. In the meantime, look at screenshots and the release date, but keep all the info away from yourself until it's been reviewed, then you can see if it's worthwhile to purchase it or not. Or of course, you could just ignore all games until they are out, then rent them and see for yourself. That way you'll be pleasantly surprised a lot of the time.

Reclaimer
08-10-2003, 09:19 PM
The gaming industry revolves around hype. Hype is a good thing to them. It doesn't matter what the final outcome of the game is going to be. Hype is important, and just as required as a commercial or print ad. This is how they get the word out about a game. If a game get's delayed, and the longer the game gets delayed, the hype takes over and keeps people interested.
Look at the hype and Halo2. It's absolutely incredible. The game has no set date, but it's still the major buzz in the industry.
The hype not only sets the tone for the marketablilty of the game in the future, but it keeps the game alive in public interest if it where to be delayed.
There have been games that just slip right on by under the radar because there was no hype involved. Some good games too, like Conflict Desert Storm. Of course the real war boosted it's sales, but the game came out in October, and was heading for the bargain bin until the second gulf war came out. They sold over a million copies, and the price of the game shot up from 29.99 up to 49.99 brand new.
But not all games get that lucky. Fireblade was a fairly good game from Midway, and it had zero hype, and nobody heard of it, and now you can get it for nearly 10 bucks. Serious Sam, a good game, and a steal for under 20 bucks. Heard nothing about it.

Just because you didn't like the game is not the fault of the manufacturer, nor the fault of the hype driven behind it. It's your final responsibility to see wether your going to like a game before you buy it. It's not the company's job. They just make the games. So like Chuck D says, Don't believe the hype.
That is, until you check it out yourself.

Voodoo_Vince
08-10-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Xbocks it's called marketing son, something you know nothing of. These developers have their ass on the line and hyping the game stirs up frenzy till cash in time. Speaking of hype what ever happened to strident and duality?

I tried to find Info on Strident a few weeks ago , I just found some old info on IGN, it's not on Phantagrams site so maybe it got canned :mad:

Stormlord
08-11-2003, 10:03 AM
The hype machine works everywhere. If you watch boxing you know what it's about. How many times have they hyped up matches and then they ended so fast or it was so boring until like the last 2 minutes? I kind of agree with him about they get us hyped up. It's your fault anyways to get your gaming vice out of hand. But I'm not hyped up on any games except Metal Gear Twin Snakes for Gamecube. That's gonna be awesome. I say Metal Gear is still better than 2. Hopefully Snake Eater on PS2 won't be a big disappointment. :cheers:

AlBoogy
08-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Stormlord
The hype machine works everywhere. If you watch boxing you know what it's about. How many times have they hyped up matches and then they ended so fast or it was so boring until like the last 2 minutes? I kind of agree with him about they get us hyped up. It's your fault anyways to get your gaming vice out of hand. But I'm not hyped up on any games except Metal Gear Twin Snakes for Gamecube. That's gonna be awesome. I say Metal Gear is still better than 2. Hopefully Snake Eater on PS2 won't be a big disappointment. :cheers:

I agree, the first one is a lot better then the second. I will buy it if it doesnt have as many stoppages in play. I felt like I was reading and watching more then I was playing.

Conchord
08-11-2003, 03:05 PM
Jesus ****ing christ...**** i was stating my opinion and some jackass calls me 'son.' Well ok then, last time i try and bring an intelligent arguement to the table.

By the way, Funky Monk, I'd love to compare knowledge of the market any day.

Shadow20002
08-11-2003, 04:46 PM
Ahh, stop bringing some old stuff here. Strident was one of the coolest i'm wanting to get my hands on it but never gonna happened. The site of Phatagram is like die for more than 6 months. Nothing news about it. Also, ihear that some freaky japanese developer have bought out the license of it, so maybe it's gonna release only on Japan. So, maybe it's will burn to hell for us... :cry: