PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR: Consistent with Star Wars Episodes I-V?

selowitch
08-10-2003, 04:52 PM
CHANCELLOR PALPATINE: I will not allow this Republic that has stood for a thousand years to be split in two. My negotiations will not fail.

If we are to believe KOTOR (and probably the comics on which it is based), the Galactic Republic is many tens of thousands of years old. How do we square this with Palpatine's remark?

Remember that in Episode IV, Obi-Wan explains that the Jedi Knights were the guardians of "truth and justice in the Old Republic." Now, it is possible that the Old Republic existed for many thousands of years, collapsed and was replaced by a
New[-er] Republic that from that point "stood for a thousand years" until the period of Episode II-III, when Palpatine presumably corrupts it into the Galactic Empire.

Does anybody have comments on this?

Lord Vivic
08-12-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by selowitch

If we are to believe KOTOR (and probably the comics on which it is based), the Galactic Republic is many tens of thousands of years old. How do we square this with Palpatine's remark?

Remember that in Episode IV, Obi-Wan explains that the Jedi Knights were the guardians of "truth and justice in the Old Republic." Now, it is possible that the Old Republic existed for many thousands of years, collapsed and was replaced by a
New[-er] Republic that stood for a thousand years until Episode II-III, when Palpatine presumably corrupts it into the Galactic Empire we all know and love (or hate).

Comments? Bueller...? Bueller...?

Why do you say that?

selowitch
08-12-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Lord Vivic
Why do you say that?
Define "that". Regarding which part of what I said are you querying?

Lord Vivic
08-12-2003, 04:43 PM
New[-er] Republic that stood for a thousand years until Episode II-III, when Palpatine presumably corrupts it into the Galactic Empire we all know and love (or hate).

In the episodes gave hints all through them describing the past.How can you say that it combines all episodes.

CarGuy
08-12-2003, 04:50 PM
My only comment is you're being to analytical. There's no definate answer because the Star Wars universe is fantasy/fiction.

Lord Vivic
08-12-2003, 05:00 PM
That is also true CARGUY.

selowitch
08-12-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy
My only comment is you're being to analytical. There's no definate answer because the Star Wars universe is fantasy/fiction.

1. Learn to spell, amigo. Nothing deflates your remarks like bad spelling.

2. If there's anywhere in the world where "analyzing" or discussing videogames is appropriate, it's this place.

3. I never suggested that Star Wars wasn't fictional. Considering that Lucasarts has many highly paid staff people who work on consistency issues, expecting them to be at least somewhat consistent throughout all of their products is not too much to ask.

selowitch
08-12-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Lord Vivic
In the episodes gave hints all through them describing the past.How can you say that it combines all episodes.

When did I ever say that anything "combines all episodes"? You make no sense here, hómbre. A coherent critique is one thing; utter nonsense doesn't do this community any favors.

Children, if a thread I post doesn't interest you or seems silly to you, try ignoring it rather than just flaming the one who posted it.

If my thread is really so terribly boring to you, I suggest you go somewhere else. It is not unreasonable to suppose that there are others here at XBA who might find a discussion of the issue I have raised to be interesting.

selowitch
08-12-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by CarGuy

How about an indefinite answer? Do you have one of those? Why must everything be definite?

Folks, videogames are inherently fantastical. They aren't "real". But does it have to be "real" to be worthwhile?

CarGuy
08-14-2003, 12:00 PM
I accidently put an "a" in definite :rolleyes: oops i forgot an "o" in too. :yikes: I guess the college degree they gave me this summer was a waste of money. I wasn't flaming you. Speaking of which, why don't you take your own advice, young padawan. You might want to try looking at my original post in a different context. Anywho, the Expanded Universe of which KOTOR is a part of is IMO seperate from the movies. It's up to the individual fan if he/she wants to mix both. If we decided to believe they are all a part of one big story (I'd like to believe that) then we're going to run into a whole bunch contradictions. I think why i was short in my first post is because of all the topics of discussion we could have you decided to choose a very boring, insignificant one.

CarGuy
08-14-2003, 12:07 PM
I thought there are going to be 6 episodes?? What does "I-V" mean? Last i knew the roman numeral for six was VI. :wink:

Peepers
08-14-2003, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by selowitch

1. Learn to spell, amigo. Nothing deflates your remarks like bad spelling.

2. If there's anywhere in the world where "analyzing" or discussing videogames is appropriate, it's this place.

3. I never suggested that Star Wars wasn't fictional. Considering that Lucasarts has many highly paid staff people who work on consistency issues, expecting them to be at least somewhat consistent throughout all of their products is not too much to ask.

Yes, bad spelling is bad... Oh crap! You're playing Jedi mind-tricks on me again aren't you? Well I'm knot [sic] gonna fall four [sic] it. :cheers:

But seriously your points are well taken.

selowitch
08-14-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Peepers
But seriously your points are well taken.

Well, I appreciate your taking them in a positive spirit. Sometimes things get contentious around here for no good reason. :D

Lord Vivic
08-15-2003, 01:43 AM
For one try being more careful who you call a kid,sarcastic or not.For another i am sorry for misinterpreting your first message.I just read back over it to bring out something that could back up what I said,and found out that I read it wrong.

:cheers: ?