PDA

View Full Version : broken xbox

spectre187
08-14-2003, 08:44 AM
I got my xbox yesterday from gamestop.com it worked great and I love it! but...

today i wake up and i go to turn it on and i get nothing... it wont even turn on at all...
although i hear it make a faint sound wehn i press the button, sort of like the hard drive starting or something i dunno exactly...but its very faint...

any ideas...im so mad i shelled out all this money and gamestop screwed me...i think anyway... is this common or am I forgeting something and looking like an idiot? HELP ME! lol
thanks

Chaotic
08-14-2003, 09:05 AM
What color is the light in the front of the xbox green or orange?

If it's orange check your cables in the back because they aren't plugged in all the way.

In that case i would disconnect everything and reconnect everything then try it again.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 09:52 AM
it was green when it would turn on
now it won't light up or turn on

RudedogX
08-14-2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by spectre187
it was green when it would turn on
now it won't light up or turn on

Hate to sound like an ass, but is it plugged in? Or is the circuit breaker that is associated with that plug flipped?

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:07 AM
yep everything else is working on the power strip and i even tried it in another room/another tv/another outlet ect...

Snake Eyez
08-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Just take it back to gamestop. You've only had it a day. Exchange it for another Xbox.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:18 AM
problem is i paid for overnight shipping from gamestop.com kind of defeats the purpose now. not to mention i'll have to wait for them to ship me another and i'm willing to bet they'll ship me a replacement through the cheapest shipping they can and they'll give me some shoddy non-working one again...i just emailed them about a return tho...if it was the gamestop store that wouldn't be a problem... but its not... its online so this involves shipping and everything...but oh well... gamestop needs to check things more carefully...

RadRider
08-14-2003, 10:23 AM
Is there a store nearby? You could probably return it to a store regardless if you bought it online or not, unless you've already asked them about it.
Quite frankly, I'll never buy anything from GameStop. First about them selling used games and listing them as new, now them selling Xboxes that don't work. EB definitely has better quality management.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:26 AM
it says on the website the stores can't take them back
how crappy is that?

RadRider
08-14-2003, 10:32 AM
Very crappy. I'd still call the store and complain. It's the same chain, they must be able to do something.
Very bad business. I definitely won't consider gamestop again. :mad:

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
im ****ed offright now, if i call the store i'll ***** out whoever answers...then when they say something back i'll go down to the store and beat their ass...be on camera...get arrested, and throwin in jail... i don't want to put myself in a situation I can't control. lol... im very ****ed off that i saved to get this **** for 2 months and it doesn'tm work ahhhhh

Xtopia
08-14-2003, 10:42 AM
Man I know what that is like! I'm on my third Xbox right now, and I have a feeling this one is failing me too. Unfortunately, I'm a cheap retard who will never learn to buy a friggin warranty.:eek:

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:45 AM
that really sucks...
oh and i looked at the bottom of my unit...
this unit was supposedly inspected by some gamestop refurbishing team... what a joke!

Xtopia
08-14-2003, 10:48 AM
Wow! So did you buy a supposedly new Xbox? Or did it say some where (and it should) that you were buying a used Xbox. Go and check, it probably says somewhere that you were buying a used Xbox...but if it doesn't...give gamespot hell for me. They can't do that.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 10:51 AM
yea it was a used one

mitch2025
08-14-2003, 11:26 AM
do u hear a faint shocking sound? if u do, the thing u plug the power cord into might be loose check if it is wiggling if it is u need to open ur xbox and sader it to fix it. it worked for me:D

LTM360
08-14-2003, 11:31 AM
*cough*lawsuit*cough*

I've bought all my used systems (Gamecube, PoS2) from Electronics Botiuqe and the worked just fine, never bought anything other than a very overpriced game from Gamestop / Funcoland / etc.

Fanboy5000
08-14-2003, 11:45 AM
hmm, I always get great service from gamestop.

Nosferatu187
08-14-2003, 11:52 AM
well this is what happens when you buy refurbished or preowned things... I mean why would you spend $149.99 on a refurbished/preowned xbox when you could save for another week or two weeks and snag a new one for $179.99 ... Cmon now.. Im not trying to **** you off or nothing spectre.. but You get what you pay for :(

spectre187
08-14-2003, 12:18 PM
very true...
oh well...
and yes i tried wiggling it and everything and thats exactly the problem...prolly power supply...
fed ex is picking it up free tho
and hopefully i'll have it by wed I'm hoping... since they are going to ship it back overnight since thats what shipping i paid for...
hopefully the one i get will work too, and im very impatient so this is ****ing me off, lol... gamestop is actually cheaper than eb... but never will i deal with gamestop again...ever...

bluefire712
08-14-2003, 12:21 PM
EB's are pretty bad too. I'd recommed Best Buy. I bought my Xbox there (one of the orginals and it still works) and buy all of my games there, unless another store has a sale on the game I want. The staff in EB act like such gamer know-it-alls who haven't bathed in a week. Refurbished is asking for trouble too IMO, it was returned for a reason and who knows how well or who fixed it.

omegared
08-14-2003, 12:46 PM
I just had a similar problem.... But i was just getting Dirty Disk errors on everygame. I figured I didn't have anything to lose, so I took it apart and cleaned everything up, since then my box has been great. I have one of the orinigals, I bought it from EB the day it was launched. If you are good with basic electronics it may be something you can patch up for the time being.... I'm sorry and wish you lucnk

spectre187
08-14-2003, 12:50 PM
i didn't want to open it and have a bigger problem than i thought that i can't fix like a dead power supply or something and not be able to take it back... so i just called em fed ex should pick it up today and i should get another one wed or thurs... but its gamestop so who knows when lol

DocHoliday78
08-14-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Fanboy5000
hmm, I always get great service from gamestop.
Yeah i prefer gamestop over Electronic botique any day. There return policy is much much better.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 02:36 PM
the fact of the matter is that if they actually test the stuff before they ship it they wouldn't need a return policy, lol... i'm never shopping there again...eb i'd be willing to try... and i know best buy is good

MerimacHamwich
08-14-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by spectre187
the fact of the matter is that if they actually test the stuff before they ship it they wouldn't need a return policy,
So, you are saying that every company should test every single piece of merchandise they produce before shipping it? And that is realistic in what way? Think about it, then you might realise why that doesn't happen.

LTM360
08-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78

Yeah i prefer gamestop over Electronic botique any day. There return policy is much much better.

Why does our local Gamestop have so many problems then? A friend of mine bought a Gaemcube, it didnt work, and get his $$$ back bought it from EB hasnt had a problem. The problem I have with Gamestop is the they sell systems that ARNT checked, they just hand it to you expecting it to work. EB actually checks thier systems thats why they they have a worse return policy cause they dont need one.
As for the games, Gamestop sucks they always put $5.00 more to a newly released game our Gamestop has GR:Island Thunder for $44.99 new, Ikaruga $44.99, and a few Xbox games are $54.99 also, I never buy games there unless they are for Sega Genesis, NES, SNES, stuff like that. Our EB is fine, all the people are nice.

bluefire712
08-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

So, you are saying that every company should test every single piece of merchandise they produce before shipping it? And that is realistic in what way? Think about it, then you might realise why that doesn't happen.

Did we come upon a sensitive area? :eek: I think he meant that Gamestop should have tested it's used merchandise before reselling it to a consumer. I believe it's unacceptable to not test a non-Microsoft refurbished or used video game system before selling it. It's realisitc and it probably happens at EB, just not all/certain Gamestops.

MerimacHamwich
08-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah. I just figured aI would give him the ignorant treatment. He's done it so many times on thesse boards I figure its time for him too see what its like.

spectre187
08-14-2003, 05:00 PM
well sorry if i'm bursting your bubble but I really don't care what some bozo (merimac) thinks about me on some video game message board...lol...you aren't that important merimac...