PDA

View Full Version : How much effort are they putting in to these games?

Lightwave Freak
12-16-2001, 07:56 PM
Are XBoX games actually utilizing all of the XBoX's capabilities to there fullest extent? I'm seeing that not many new games are really buffed up on surface details. What about having real blades of grass like Project Ego is suppose to have? Or are the software companies just 'testing the water'?

Frostberg
12-16-2001, 08:14 PM
Well its pretty complicated. Games always get better through time, and that can be on the same system. Look at The 2k series games for the DC. the 2k2 series is way better than the original. It happenbs in like every game. Games just get better over time. They think of innovative things to do like new shadow technologies, ways to render objects and so on. every Xbox doesnt push the Xbox to the limit. If you think games like Halo are amazing now, just think what games will be like in 2 years!

Lightwave Freak
12-16-2001, 08:24 PM
I see what u mean. But many games comming out are not using techniques imployed by other games.

Its kinda like, with every new blockbuster game, the standard is raised by which the next games are compared by. (this is what u said but... keep reading) Well, the standard has been raised, with titles like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x which employs individual, realistic blades of grass. (Thats just one example but i might be able to find others- something to do with AI). But, nows games seem to be dropping below the standard... At least it seems to me...

monkeyman
12-16-2001, 08:33 PM
yeah i think i know what your saying kinda

LynxFX
12-16-2001, 08:37 PM
Just look at a first gen PS1 game and now a PS1 game made 6 years after the launch. They really exploited every last bit of power from that machine.

Xbox will be no different, same with GC and PS2.

Not every game released with push the power though. It takes time and money to develope and learn the platforms and the secrets to exploiting the powers.

One thing that really needs to be exploited in games is AA on the xbox. Get rid of those jaggies. You have the power built right in now code it in the software. Also higher res games would be nice. I want to see what an HD game looks like on a console. That should really raise the bar if they keep frame rates up.

Frostberg
12-16-2001, 08:41 PM
every game cant be perfect or look the best...it depends on what the developer spends time on. With THPS2x the game was already done...they just added a lot of cool features to take advantage of the Xboxs hardware...but with other games you simply dont have the time or money to put forth the extra details. Especially if you will only see the specific area a few times in the game. They dont want to improve one area so much that the others dont look as good as it, so it brings the whole game down.

Lightwave Freak
12-16-2001, 08:56 PM
I think that brings up a good point Frostberg. I wish that more game developers were dedicated to making an outstounding game. Of course their budget would have to permit this and all... Big problem there... But wouldnt it be nice.. :)

Hugh_Jass
12-16-2001, 09:06 PM
It becomes even more difficult to define what, exactly, *IS* the upper end with the Nvidia graphics engine. Other consoles have a strict set of rules by which all games must be created. The Nvidia chip is configurable and allows the developers to create their own rules. I'm sure there are nearly limitless techniques waiting to be discovered.

robnyack
12-16-2001, 09:08 PM
everything i've read frm software developers for the xbox say they are still learning exactly what they can do with the xbox. So, there is much more to come, I'm sure.

Lightwave Freak
12-16-2001, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
It becomes even more difficult to define what, exactly, *IS* the upper end with the Nvidia graphics engine. Other consoles have a strict set of rules by which all games must be created. The Nvidia chip is configurable and allows the developers to create their own rules. I'm sure there are nearly limitless techniques waiting to be discovered.

I think that eventually the limit will be reached as to how far they will be able to go with the graphics. (Stop me if i have u wrong now) So after a while there probably will be something by which u could measure the worth of a given game's graphics...

Snoopy7548
12-17-2001, 02:04 PM
they arent utilitzing the full capabilities of the xbox now, it just came out and developers are just getting familiar with the system. it'll take a while before the developers use the xbox's full power.