PDA

View Full Version : Does any1 know about the audio cords on a tv?

xboxpebbles
12-17-2001, 05:01 AM
i am getting my xbox soon, but i want to make sure it will work...
i have the white and yellow cords plugged in..the tv is pretty old..
but(i have to say it) my nintendo 64 and sega work on it w/ no problem...
what about the red one??
am i going to have to buy an expensive plug??:(
well, try to help me out if ya know..
thanks!

deadwood
12-17-2001, 05:11 AM
Red White And BLUE!!! oops.. I mean Yellow.. yea.. red white and yellow..
For the xbox you need an outlet (to plug it in) then you need in the back of ur t.v. your red, white, and yellow holes for gaming experience, and then ur xbox is hooked.. but they sell extensions, incase u just have a red and white hole, you can buy an extension that plugs into the red and white and then on the outside has a red, white, and yellow plug.. but it will be fine, i think they are like $10.00 last time i checked

xboxpebbles
12-17-2001, 05:15 AM
so u do need the red one??
ok--
i thought the extension would be about 30$$..
thanks for the help:)

LynxFX
12-17-2001, 05:56 AM
You will be fine with the cables that come with the xbox. The red and white are for stereo sound, left and right channels and the yellow is your video.

Rochey69r
12-17-2001, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by xboxpebbles
i am getting my xbox soon, but i want to make sure it will work...
i have the white and yellow cords plugged in..the tv is pretty old..
but(i have to say it) my nintendo 64 and sega work on it w/ no problem...
what about the red one??
am i going to have to buy an expensive plug??:(
well, try to help me out if ya know..
thanks!

ok lets get this straight.

deadwood prob just confused u and lynxfx is right but i feel i can put it in simpler turms.

the yellow av plug is for video (picture) all t.v's with av plugs have this one.

red and white av plugs are for audio. (big t.v's with stereo sound have both of these)

(your tv only has white and yellow which is fine. this just means that its only capable of mono sound)

so unless u must have stereo sound u will not need any ad on pieces.

simple??

Hugh_Jass
12-17-2001, 11:11 AM
You could get a stereo->mono converter from Radio Shack for about $3.

Or you could hook your XBOX up to an old stereo instead of using the TV speaker. This would be far better, assuming you have an old stereo laying around.

deadwood
12-17-2001, 06:35 PM
i dont think i confused anyone, i told him it would be fine to run like it was, but if he wanted to plug all three in they sell expansions that you plug into the back that make it capable of holding 3 plugs.. and they are only abouty $10.00($US).. he was worried if he bought one they might slam him alot of money, i was just clearing it up for him

xboxpebbles
12-17-2001, 06:38 PM
ok..to get this straight...i have the red and yellow, which is ok..
but, only provides mono sound..ugh..thats not good, huh?
lol..
yah--- if i ever get to a radio shack or store that
has some cheap ...(the one w/ all 3 colors) pack, i
think ill pick it up
and to think what dolby digital 5.1 owners
hear on their tv...wow
must be nice:)
thanks all:):):)

xboxpebbles
12-17-2001, 06:44 PM
thanks -- i think i might buy the 3 cord one..
didnt realize my tv has aged that much..lol
(ps deadwood--im a her...lol..thats ok)
thanks all:)

deadwood
12-17-2001, 06:46 PM
lol.. alright, its about time to get some women goin into the xbox =)

monkeyman
12-17-2001, 06:49 PM
yeah you need to go out and buy something it doesnt cost very much

Frostberg
12-17-2001, 07:15 PM
but if you only have one speaker then it wont help...which you might because my dad has an RCA TV with a VCR integrated in it, and it only has one speaker, so it only has composite (yellow) and white inputs

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 11:25 AM
i know exactly what your talking about...i had an old tv that only has 2 a/v connectors...one video and one audio. You'll have a little worse audio quality on your tv but it will work. Just plug in the two cables to the tv and play...but i would suggest if you have a tv that old go ahead and fork up the money and you get you a nice sony wega or something. it'll be worth it.

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-18-2001, 12:17 PM
Hey, if you can, go out and buy a Plasma TV...they just came down from $10,000 and now you can buy it for a very low price at $7000.00!!!! hehe...still too much for me...but, seriously, it sounds like you need to upgrade the tube...if you do, get one that has an S-Video input on the back...many new TVs do, but, not all of them. If you end up buying one, just tell the sales person that you want an S-Video TV...the sales clerk will know what you mean...I strongly recommend Toshiba since they have been #1 on consumer reports for the last 5 years and prior to that, they have always been in the top 3. Solid Tvs.

I realize you weren't saying you were going to purchase a TV, but, I thought this might be informational anyhow :)

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 03:33 PM
just because it is going to have an s-video input doesn't mean its going to have a good picture quality.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 04:42 PM
true, but if it has an S-Video plug it has to be a decent TV...it it has component inputs it has to have good picture quality!

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 05:15 PM
na i dont think so...they can stick any type of connectors on any tv regardless of picture quality.

kirkyg

xboxpebbles
12-18-2001, 05:16 PM
im very happy w/ my n64 picture on my old sony tv..
i think my tv will work ok then...
b/c since my tv is mono,... then
i dont think i could buy something to have 2 speakers
right??
hmm..i think it will be great still!:D :D
what do ya think?

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 05:22 PM
well well put it like this...N64 is no Xbox...the benefits of having a great TV are just finally converting over to video games..