PDA

View Full Version : Dvd Rom (reopened)

GreenFire
08-18-2003, 01:11 AM
Alright, now, many of you might find this stupid, but I like to tinker. So let me explain. I planned on putting my xbox and dreamcast into a computer tower. I started with the xbox, took everything apart and put it in the tower. For some reason it will boot and then lock up. So then I put it back in the xbox case and it works fine. I thought that metal might be touching the solder points, so i used fatty risers. It still didnt boot properly. Back into the origiinal xbox case, and it works fine. Does anyone know anything about this. Oh, btw, the reason I named the thread dvd rom was because I had to take the dvd rom apart to take off the original plastic mounting pieces so that i could fit it in a bay in the tower. I think I touched the lens because when i first booted, it wouldnt read a disc at all. then i cleaned the lens with windex and it read the disc but then quit with a message about a dirty disc. also, my game file on ut was erased. I dont know, lots of crazy stuff. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions, or a working dvdrom, lmk. Thanks.

if you want to get a hold of me directly, email me at kbubp@myrealbox.com or aol IM me at antipop2195.

spectre187
08-18-2003, 02:02 AM
i suggest there is no point to ummm "recasing" you're xbox... leave well enough alone, thats what i always say

Reclaimer
08-18-2003, 04:01 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't condone f.u.b.a.r.'ing your only xbox. Especially if you can't afford another.

JediMasterChief
08-18-2003, 05:48 AM
Thats a pretty stupid idea, GreenFire. I would never take my Xbox apart or not even my Dreamcast.

If it stops working, it's your fault then.

Nosferatu187
08-18-2003, 10:51 AM
hey.. It might be the wrong thing to do.. voiding warranties and what not.. but hey if he gets it to work and he throws it in a pimped out thermaltek or a vantec case with all the LEDs and display readings and ****.. it'd be pimp:p

Stormlord
08-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Well it seems like you know what you're doing. Are you still using the same Hard Drive from the Xbox? IF not it's because the HD is formatted for Xbox use. To use another HD you'r gonna have to mod the Xbox with Linux. But I suggest just leaving everything like it is. Only take that risk if you know what you are doing. :D

Arrakis44
08-18-2003, 11:53 AM
hey greenfire - this thread has already been closed man. If u keep posting it ur gonna get booted, i expect this thread will be closed soon aswell!

GreenFire
08-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Yes, I do know what I'm doing, I have been working on computers, hardware and software, for about 7 years. I know the Xbox HD is formatted for XBox use only, and yes, I am using it. For those of you who thinks its stupid, then you have no imagination. Whats the point in having something if you can't customize it to your liking. And for the guy who said its gonna be closed, it wont be. The reason it was closed was because I mentioned modding. But I do not plan to do so on this one, so please, don't mention any modding. also, some people out there might have a working xbox dvdrom because some people swap theirs to a samsung sdg-605. INcase you dont know, that dvd rom will read any cd you pop in there, cdr, cdrw, dvdr dvdrw, etc. Anyway, I found a mobo, hd, and dvdrom combo on ebay for 70 bux, and the power supply is already spliced so I can add some fans, lcds, etc. Anyway, thanks for your help and input guys. I think its a very interesting subject, but some see it as murdering my xbox. Anyway, thanks again.-

BigJosh359
08-18-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by JediMasterChief
Thats a pretty stupid idea, GreenFire. I would never take my Xbox apart or not even my Dreamcast.

If it stops working, it's your fault then.

That's not stupid. Why do most people mod their Xbox cases or PCs cases? Because they can and want to. Putting everything in one box is awesome. Have you heard of the Y-Box they showed on TechTV?

The all in one system, this is the old version, he has since made a newer version. (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3381725,00.html)

If you get it up and going GreenFire, Post some pics. :)

As for your problem, i dont know why it would lock up in the PC case and not in the Xbox case, sounds kinda odd. How are you going about getting power to both systems? Mean have you rigged up a power switching system or using the same power setup that comes with the systems.

BTW, its hard Drive modding and Mod chips/chip software when we close threads.

FuNkY mOnK
08-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Ventilation migth be one of the culprits dont forget these cases were engineered not only to hold the guts but to provide the adequate air flow within a givin space, too much space migth be causing overheat and thus lockup. who knows, i'm only A+ certfide :confused:

BigJosh359
08-18-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
Ventilation migth be one of the culprits dont forget these cases were engenered not only to hold the guts but to provide the adequate air flow within a givin space, too much space migth be causing overheat and thus lockup. who knows, i'm only A+ certfide :confused:

Eh, i think that would be a slight possiblity, but doubtful. I think we need more information about the setup to really get an idea of what could be wrong.

FuNkY mOnK
08-18-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Josh-XBA

Eh, i think that would be a slight possiblity, but doubtful. I think we need more information about the setup to really get an idea of what could be wrong.
I agree, from here we can't see a thing. we need more info! dam you!!

GreenFire
08-18-2003, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry, I am cheap and do not have a digital cam. I will try to borrow my aunt's tomorrow and take pics.

Reclaimer
08-18-2003, 08:53 PM
The reason I said that this was a bad idea was because in his thread that was locked, he mentioned that he didn't make enough money to replace his xbox if he ruined it. He doesn't have that kind of cash, then he couldn't afford a pimped out server case, or a ThermalTake Xaser or something like that. If you really like your xbox, I wouldn't recommend risking ruining it.
I'm all for being creative and doing stuff against the grain. I'm not downing his creativity. Just giving insight to the logistics behind it.

But in the long run, it's your stuff, and your money, do what you will.

GreenFire
08-18-2003, 08:58 PM
Well, the thing is, I do have the money, it's just not something I want to spend massive amounts of money on, ya know? I mean, its a 170 system, I dont wanna turn it into a 500 dollar project.

Good news though, I put everything back into the original xbox casing and everything works fine now. I was playing castle wolfenstein to test it, and it is updating xbox live as we speak. Perhaps if you guys own this game, I'll see you online tonight. I'll make a game called Out of the Box around 10 PM EST. I don't know how the password is initiated, but either way, the password will be A A A A. simple enough, hope to see you there.

I know what the problem is. I need plastic risers. I might dremel the original xbox case bottom to fit in my tower, I dont know yet. But as said, I will still take pics. Until next time... Live long and strong.

GreenFire
08-18-2003, 09:19 PM
bad news... overheat... eh. i wet sanded the heatsink. Put some copper goo on it. I also mounted a fan on it. I noticed i had the heatsink holder on wrong, this may have been a prob since the get go., anyway. Im on rtcw now, so, cya there

wbio
08-19-2003, 08:46 AM
this would be cool if it worked, the Y-Box Yoshi made was sweet, I would try something like this, but I have almost no money, and would definetly be afraid of messing up my xbox

DocHoliday78
08-19-2003, 01:41 PM
Damn that Yoshi Boxx is so tight. I wonder how many hours he put into that thing.

GreenFire
08-19-2003, 02:22 PM
Yeah, that Y-Boxx is badass, hopefully I can acquire a larger tower. I have a mini tower right now. Also, I think my friend can sell me his ps2 for cheap. So thats 3 of the most rect systems. I dont know what I would do if I couldnt play my Tokyo Xtreme Racer 2... anyway, everything is going smooth now, and the Cpu is running a lot cooler than before, which is good. i could prob put a pc in there as well. Heat will be a factor in all of this though, so, I might look into some thermaltake fans and heatsinks, perhaps even H2O... maybe. I have a lot of computer parts, mobos, processors, laying around. I have 2 P4 combos, a dual Xeon combo, athlon combo, dual celeron combo, etc etc etc. I also have some hp server cases. So, I prob wont have to buy much. anyway, I'll be at work til 10pm tonight, but maybe I can still score some pics.

Spaztic
08-19-2003, 02:27 PM
I would go to I-hacked.com's forums and send a PM to hevnsnt. He is the man with all the xbox hacking. I have redone tons of xboxes and never ran into this problem. He will give the the anwser though!!!!!

Chaotic
08-19-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Josh-XBA

That's not stupid. Why do most people mod their Xbox cases or PCs cases? Because they can and want to. Putting everything in one box is awesome. Have you heard of the Y-Box they showed on TechTV?

The all in one system, this is the old version, he has since made a newer version. (http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/supergeek/story/0,24330,3381725,00.html)

If you get it up and going GreenFire, Post some pics. :)

As for your problem, i dont know why it would lock up in the PC case and not in the Xbox case, sounds kinda odd. How are you going about getting power to both systems? Mean have you rigged up a power switching system or using the same power setup that comes with the systems.

BTW, its hard Drive modding and Mod chips/chip software when we close threads.

ahhh, there it is. I was going to say the same thing and post this link. :D