PDA

View Full Version : Using synthetic odor in kotor (spoilers)

yeszir
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
Well, im in the upper sweres on taris after getting through the force field. I found the synthetic odor on the severed arm and i know i need to use it to defeat that huge monster thingy, but i have no idea how to. I cant even equip myself with it from the items list. Provided i figure out how to equip it, what do i do with it? Thanks for the help in advance. Its frustrating dying 4 times to some huge squashing fist!

yeszir
08-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Oh, nevermind, someone just told me. I would have never thought of that. I was just throwing grenades out of frustration.

Peepers
08-18-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by yeszir
Oh, nevermind, someone just told me. I would have never thought of that. I was just throwing grenades out of frustration.

*SPOILERS*

When I first encountred the rancor I was trying to run around it in great U-shaped patterns (it actually worked once but then I got killed by the Vulkars on the other side of that door. Finally, out of desperation, I read that data-pad that was on that "severed arm" and found the solution. That rancor presented some real problems. I've talked with other gamers who actually expended their entire stockpile of nades and med-pacs killing that thing!

CharlieHustle
08-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Peepers

I've talked with other gamers who actually expended their entire stockpile of nades and med-pacs killing that thing!

Thats would be me also. Hey, but it worked.

RudedogX
08-19-2003, 07:24 AM
Whenever you come across a datapad, you should always read it. Later in the game, you'll come across a few datapads that are necessary to read. So, I definetly recommend reading them. I actually didn't even check the boards for most of the stuff I had to do, since I felt most of it was straightforward.

bugle boy
08-19-2003, 04:06 PM
but how do u get past that stupid rancor without grenades:

CharlieHustle
08-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Aiight, for the tenth time in this forum, you place the odor synthesizer in the pile of corpse with a grenade. The rancor will eat the grenade and the BOOM you r free to go.

Peepers
08-19-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
Whenever you come across a datapad, you should always read it. Later in the game, you'll come across a few datapads that are necessary to read. So, I definetly recommend reading them. I actually didn't even check the boards for most of the stuff I had to do, since I felt most of it was straightforward.

Yeah, I've alsways known that about games, espescially RPG's. The clues are there; you just need to read them. Unfortunately, it took me a few hours of desperation to really learn this lessson.

Leviathon
08-20-2003, 07:53 AM
I threw a greanade at a time. I would step up untill the game paused. Then select a frag grenade. Throw it. Then as the Rancor beast started to charge I would run away back up the hallway. The rancor will not or can not chase you up there. Then I went back down and threw another one and did the same thing over. It took about 4 frag grenades...:D

Fanboy5000
08-20-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Leviathon
I threw a greanade at a time. I would step up untill the game paused. Then select a frag grenade. Throw it. Then as the Rancor beast started to charge I would run away back up the hallway. The rancor will not or can not chase you up there. Then I went back down and threw another one and did the same thing over. It took about 4 frag grenades...:D

4 Frag nades? It took much more for me, but I basically did the same thing.

RudedogX
08-20-2003, 09:16 AM
It's actually funny if you click on the corpse pile, there are grenades in there! You can simply put the odor in there without having to worry about having none in your inventory. Oh well, sounds like you all wanted to make the game that much harder for yourselves.

kenji
08-20-2003, 07:46 PM
I had to go to forums for this. I thought you could place it down somwhere, but you couldn't even do that. I had no idea that you could give items buy hitting "X" when you look at the corspe pile.

Hugh_Jass
08-23-2003, 07:51 AM
I killed it with grenades. I guess my game lacks finesse. :)

Slayer02
08-31-2003, 01:39 AM
Well, I managed to actually run around it my first game... My friend just threw an addhesive grenade and easily passed it... It wasn't until I completely read my strategy guide that I learned about the odor.. (or the dueling ring, for that matter.)