PDA

View Full Version : In Response to Wal-Mart.

Peepers
08-19-2003, 07:25 PM
The front page of xboxaddict.com is reporting that Wal-Mart pulled Halo (and GTA) from the shelves in response to the W. Virginia snipings.

This was stupid. If they're going to be this reactionary, it seems that they should pull the guns from their sporting goods section* before they pull Halo from the video games section!

The fact that sportsmans' hobbies are held in such higher esteem than gamers' offends me. How many people have actually been killed by an Xbox? Yet Wal-Mart must assume that number must be greater than the number actually killed by guns.

I demand equality! Gamer's rights should be the last thing to go here!

Ultimately however, as a proponent of free-enterprise, I must respect Wal-Mart's decision, even as I dissapprove of it.

The article didn't specify whether it was just the Wal-Mart in W. Virginia that pulled the games (which I guess I could understand) or if it's a nationwide thing (which would be preposterous).

*I am a Republican in favor of gun rights so I wouldn't favor this either.

slickbmw
08-19-2003, 07:29 PM
very true...Walmart is really stupid by pullin Halo off the shelves for sniper shootings....they will be losing alot of money...remeber my slogan.... Guns dont kill people....Video games do....

bluefire712
08-19-2003, 07:36 PM
I don't see why you people are so upset by this. Free enterprise is a simple concept. If they don't offer the product you want, you go somewhere else. It only ultimately hurts Wal-Mart seeing as probably Best Buy, Circuit City, GameStop, EB, and K-Mart still have it in-stock. I don't really see why people buy video games at Wal-Mart in the first place, I guess just convenience.

Peepers
08-19-2003, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by bluefire712
I don't see why you people are so upset by this. Free enterprise is a simple concept. If they don't offer the product you want, you go somewhere else. It only ultimately hurts Wal-Mart seeing as probably Best Buy, Circuit City, GameStop, EB, and K-Mart still have it in-stock. I don't really see why people buy video games at Wal-Mart in the first place, I guess just convenience.

If you note my orignal post I say that I am a proponent of free enterprise, and therefore respect Wal-Mart's decision. However, that does not mean that I can't dissaprove of it for other pragmatic and idealogical reasons.

bluefire712
08-19-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Peepers

If you note my orignal post I say that I am a proponent of free enterprise, and therefore respect Wal-Mart's decision. However, that does not mean that I can't dissaprove of it for other pragmatic and idealogical reasons.

Why are you getting mad at me? I don't see why this even in the news. This is just another media thing blown way out of proportion.

Discretion
08-19-2003, 07:58 PM
I can only say one thing... It's pathetic and this is another reason not to shop at Wal Mart... It's a loser store IMO

Peepers
08-19-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by bluefire712

Why are you getting mad at me? I don't see why this even in the news. This is just another media thing blown way out of proportion.

My tone might have been a little formal, but it certainly wasn't angry. Rest assured I'm not mad at you.

I might agree with you that this is a big news story-in the mainstream news. But in gaming news, the kind XBA usually covers, this is a big deal

Two things might come to the surface to mitigate this story's impact.

1. I find out it's only the W. Virginia Wal-Mart that's pulling Halo et al off the shelves.

2. I find out this is only a very temporary measure.

Hopefully both of these things are true. If that's the case, I might even agree with Wal-Mart, but I would continue to think that they have their prioritied scewed in this matter.

So lets get back to the original topic: Why Wal-Mart made a stupid decision. :p

Kortiz
08-19-2003, 08:16 PM
See, this is how I see it from the Wal-Mart executives. They sell guns....and video games. Wal-Mart is the soccer mom heaven of stores....AM I RIGHT?!?! OR AM I RIGHT?!?! They see mothers getting upset about video games being to violent. On the other hand, you have ish goin' on around the country. Guns would be a great thing to get rid of in their eyes...but people like you and me would boycott them until the end of time......I seriously think getting rid of guns would put them in serious trouble.

Those games getting pulled make mothers happy...getting rid of the guns make the mother's husbands' very UNHAPPY!

either way, halo and gta getting pulled isn't such a big deal.......i mean who buys their games from Wal-Mart anyway? Everytime i go there i see their prices and notice a huge increase in price from EB or even Bestbuy.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-19-2003, 10:46 PM
Actually, I'm sure some people have been killed by the Xbox. Take this for example:

A mother buys his son an Xbox for Chistmas, not realizing her son is a PS2 fanboy. This family lives on the 5th floor in a condo. The next day the son grabs the Xbox, throws it out the window, and at the same time a man is walking by. This man is instantly killed by the sheer weight of the Xbox.

Very realistic IMHO.

Shadow20002
08-20-2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Cryogenic Pyro
Actually, I'm sure some people have been killed by the Xbox. Take this for example:

A mother buys his son an Xbox for Chistmas, not realizing her son is a PS2 fanboy. This family lives on the 5th floor in a condo. The next day the son grabs the Xbox, throws it out the window, and at the same time a man is walking by. This man is instantly killed by the sheer weight of the Xbox.

Very realistic IMHO.

Wow, seems like you have so many imaginations about video games. But this could be possible by the chance of 1/100000. After all, he could just ask her mother to change the Xbox for a PS2 since the box is not opened. :cool:

JediMasterChief
08-20-2003, 05:12 AM
I think Wal-Mart made a stupid decision.

Halo has been on shelves for nearly two years now, but at least it's just one chain of stores.

RudedogX
08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
Ya know, this news from wal-mart doesn't surprise me. They've always tried to ensure that they stay away from controversy, no matter how trivial it is. If any of you all watch the 'Big Urban Myth Show' on MTV, you would have seen that at one point last year, Wal Mart refused to sell a doll (similar to barbie) because she is pregnant and doesn't wear a wedding band. Um...it's a doll! It's a videogame! To some people this is ridiculous, to others it's a great thing. In the end, you have to choose a side, and no matter what side you choose, you're going to alienate people. In this case, Wal-Mart just tried to ensure they picked the side that would prevent the promotion of a very bad thing in today's society. I don't think they're doing the right thing, but at the same time, the loss of customers is their own loss, and that lack of income...it's not going to affect Wal-Mart too greatly, so they don't see a reason not to do it.

Casper
08-20-2003, 10:10 AM
I was bored and just wrote this to Walmart corporate HQ

I read an article today that was quite disturbing in regards to removing video games from the shelves of your stores due to the West Virginia sniper shootings. Why is it that your corporate heads have resulted to remove a simple video game (Halo and Grand Theft Auto) from being able to be purchased, rather than your guns that you sell? Guns are the problem, not video games. No matter how much a game can try and influence a person into doing a bad act, it's not reality. It's not the virtual cartoonish figures that are shooting people, it's the dylusional ones that have the issues, purchase your guns, and go use them to kill people....not the videogamers.

Please reconsider this. I have been a loyal customer to your company for many years, and to hear this news that you have removed a game, and not the guns, has sickened me in the aspect that your views are so distorted to think this way.

Chaotic
08-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by casper
I was bored and just wrote this to Walmart corporate HQ

you have way to much time on your hands :o

RudedogX
08-20-2003, 10:20 AM
I agree...I thought you were working!:rofl:

CrazyCougar
08-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Ya'll gotta remember where Walmarts roots are from. The good ole bible belt and they pride themsleves upon family values. Is it wrong for them to do this, no....is it a good sales decision, no...is it related to the owner, family and many customer beliefs, yes. I repsect Walmart in decisions like this as they try to make a statement. Still cant figure out why the gun shelf remains open though if they are trying to help society. (Thats not a gun control comment either.)

I think the real issue is this crackpot in West Virginia that caused this whole ordeal. He's the one that needs to be taken off the shelves permanently.

Casper
08-20-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX
I agree...I thought you were working!:rofl:

Look you board stalker, why don't you do something productive today...I'm working on my routers :mad:

RudedogX
08-20-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by casper

Look you board stalker, why don't you do something productive today...I'm working on my routers :mad:

Damn, it must both chaotic's and your times of the month! Both of you are ****y!:rofl:

Chaotic
08-20-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by rudedogX

Damn, it must both chaotic's and your times of the month! Both of you are ****y!:rofl:

and both of us are about to come down to virgina and kick your ass :mad:

DZNUTZ
08-20-2003, 11:21 AM
dont' u kids have anything better to do then squablled like lil girls?

why don't u go play in the freeway and count the cars as they run you over.

Jafo232
08-20-2003, 11:33 AM
Guns are the problem, not video games.

Actually, last I checked the definition of a sniper is not a gun, but a person. The guns are not the problems, they are inanimate objects, the problem is with the psychos using them. The same person could be using a car and running people over in remote areas. Using the "Guns are the problem" logic, we would want to ban cars. Then Walmart would get rid of every car racing game out there.

Walmart did this for one thing and one thing only: cash. I have no problem with that. If I shopped at Walmart, I would just take my cash and buy my game elsewhere. If Walmart see's a dip in sales and concludes it will never recoup the costs of this move, Halo and GTA will be right back on the shelves. It may also be worth noting that Walmart is still selling Halo on their website and also taking pre-orders for Halo 2. The fact is, since they put out this press release, they just picked up a bunch of free advertising. It appears they still sell Ghost Recon no?

If they thought they could make positive press by dumping the Sims because they think it promotes unsafe sex, they would do it.

In short, it's a story old as time: It's all about the money. :)

CrazyCougar
08-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Disclaimer : XBA in no way condones playing in the freeway and counting cars as they run over you. Please do this at your own risk.

CrazyCougar
08-20-2003, 11:41 AM
Guns are AND arent the problem. There is no reason for some joe schmoe in Virginia to have a Sniper Rifle or an assault rifle or whatever. Those guns are for the military and do not belong in the public's hands...period.

As for Walmart getting free advertising. You betcha. They are eating this up right now.

Jafo232
08-20-2003, 11:55 AM
Guns are AND arent the problem. There is no reason for some joe schmoe in Virginia to have a Sniper Rifle or an assault rifle or whatever. Those guns are for the military and do not belong in the public's hands...period.

Actually, I disagree. A sniper rifle is the same thing as a hunting rifle. Ask anyone who hunts in the midwest where there is a LOT of flat land and your target is very far away.

But that is besides the point. This is basically a second amendment arguement that could go on into infinity so to make it short, I believe the citizens have the right to own any gun they wish period.

If I want to own a stinger missile, I should be allowed to. It would also reduce my online gaming as I would have another toy to play with lol.

More people used to get murdered and killed by "civilized" people before the invention of gunpowder, making it evident that it is not the gun, it is the individual.

/Redneck-RightWing-Rant

Casper
08-20-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Jafo232

/Redneck-RightWing-Rant

Ain't that the truth :o

bluefire712
08-20-2003, 12:29 PM
An interesting statistic just for all of you people to consider:

For every 157 people killed by a person with a gun in the United States, 1 is killed by a person with a gun in Japan which has very strict gun laws.

LTM360
08-20-2003, 01:42 PM
odd how the WalMart I went to TODAY had Halo for $49.99 and several copies at that

DocHoliday78
08-20-2003, 01:43 PM
Walmart is pretty stupid for that. I can maybe understand GTA but why halo? Its against aliens and such. Oh well i never bought videogames from Walmart, but they are gonna lost some money on this.

JR Alberda
08-20-2003, 01:51 PM
My comment from the news article.

What is up with people today. It seems that the evil gunmen of today have become cowards. Everywhere you look its cowardous behavior
in peoples violence. Events like Colombine are horrible but at least those kids had the guts to face thier problems head on with a gun
instead of hiding in vehicles and shooting people in the back. Case in point, the palastinians. Who are these "martyrs for Islam trying
to fool, if you dont like the Israeli military hitting your homes, attack the Israeli military, dont blow up a bus full of school children.
Thats like getting beat up in the schoolyard and getting revenge by beating up the guys kid sister. The problem is that they are COWARDS.
If confronted by a regular Israeli face to face, fist to fist I doubt that the Palasinian 'Martyr' would even have the guts to fight.

I really dont care what Walmart does, if you want the games, go elsewhere to get them. Its people in this day and age that really make me sick. I hope somebody kicks that snipers a$$ to a bloody unrecognizeable mess with their bare hands before they shock him to death. In fact I will do it myself. Put me in a room alone with him, we will see what happens.

mattgame
08-20-2003, 01:59 PM
Wal mart is just doing this in respect to the people of W.Virginia. It is only temporary and it is in no way hurting video game sales so let them do what they need to do. Someone said the snipers need to be shelved. A-men.

Jafo232
08-20-2003, 05:21 PM
For every 157 people killed by a person with a gun in the United States, 1 is killed by a person with a gun in Japan which has very strict gun laws.

Well, I would be interested in where you got this data, but at last count, there is only 125,570,000 Japanese citizens. Whereas there are 290,342,554 (July 2003) American citizens. These are of course just the citizens that were counted in the census.

There are many things you can make out of numbers. For example, lets look at the murder rate vs suicide rates for Japan and US according to the World Health Organization for 1990:

1990 rates per 100k population from WHO Statistical Yearbook
homicide suicide
US 10.1 12.6
Japan 0.6 16.4

Some might say they declare more murders as suicides, but who knows.

In the past, more Americans owned guns and there was less murder, so saying gun control has had a good effect is dubious at best.

For example, NYC, some of the most strict gun laws in the country, yet a government official was just killed in city hall.

Most of our problems with violence in the country I believe is related to our cultural upheavals more than by guns.

JR Alberda
08-20-2003, 05:50 PM
Here is another interesting fact.

More people are killed in the world each year by falling coconuts than by shark attacks.

spectre187
08-21-2003, 08:02 AM
either way gamers don't shop at walmart... all they sells is blues clues **** that soccer moms buy anyway...
I'm also a big second amendment republican and If walmart ever did ban guns a lot of people would stop shopping there, because believe it or not, some republicans do shop at walmart, LMFAO... walmart won't go under though, they are too big... but sales can always be hurt and slowly choke them to death, like kmart...

webdaemon
08-21-2003, 10:29 AM
It's just a typical response by Walmart. :watchout:

LINKINPARK8591
08-21-2003, 01:34 PM
as said before games don't hurt people, people hurt people so unless you can't separate reality from the game world then...........for the most part i don't think that games have a influence on you unless you allow them to. wouldn't they prefer us to shoot kill virutal people on a game where we can come back as many times as we want also preventing other people from getting hurt. as oppose to going out with a real gun and doing target practice on real people. i think that games are use for both entertainment and stress control. i mean if you have a bad day at work don't take it out on people take it out on a video game.:cheers: :cuss: :argue1: :huh: