PDA

View Full Version : Playin Dvd on xbox just a question?

LINKINPARK8591
08-20-2003, 02:41 PM
i just have a question it's not a big deal but when i play games on my xbox they colors and evertyhing is fine but when i play a dvd on the xbox the colors get dark and when the movies are playing it keeps making the screen go from real bright to real dark and continues to do that every time a dvd is in there. although it doesn't do any of that when i'm playing games. so since it goes from dark to light and back it's hard to enjoy the dvd much less see it in good quality. it's like turning the brightness hella bright then hella dark.......................any body know what's up with it?:huh: :huh:
any suggestions:cheers: or ideas?

jelgiad
08-20-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by LINKINPARK8591
i just have a question it's not a big deal but when i play games on my xbox they colors and evertyhing is fine but when i play a dvd on the xbox the colors get dark and when the movies are playing it keeps making the screen go from real bright to real dark and continues to do that every time a dvd is in there. although it doesn't do any of that when i'm playing games. so since it goes from dark to light and back it's hard to enjoy the dvd much less see it in good quality. it's like turning the brightness hella bright then hella dark.......................any body know what's up with it?:huh: :huh:
any suggestions:cheers: or ideas?

am i guessing right that you have your xbox hooked up through a vcr? if so its a copyright protection mechanism on dvds and happens w/ any dvd player when you hook it up through a vcr. the only way to get away from it is to hook it up directly to your tv.

Shadow20002
08-20-2003, 03:14 PM
Oh copyright protection is really about in the Xbox, you need to be careful because is could damage your Xbox.

Chaotic
08-20-2003, 03:24 PM
like stated above it's because your using the video inputs on the vcr ;)

runninutes
08-20-2003, 04:03 PM
I'm so glad someone asked this! I had that problem, too, but since I already had a DVD player hooked up, I just use it.

Originally posted by Shadow20002
Oh copyright protection is really about in the Xbox, you need to be careful because is could damage your Xbox.

How could it hurt your Xbox?

LynxFX
08-20-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by runninutes
How could it hurt your Xbox?
It can't. ;)

As others have said, it is Macrovision copyright protection, on the dvd's, not the xbox.

Buy yourself an RF Modulator from Radioshack and connect it that way if you want to have your VCR and DVD player connected at the same time.

MerimacHamwich
08-20-2003, 04:21 PM
Like LynxFX said, it is a copywrite protection. I am guessing you have your XBox hooked up to your TV through your DVD. Now, that means you could be copying movies illegally from your Xbox onto a VHS in your VCR. The film industry knows this and developed said technology to prevent you from copying movies illegally. Simple as that.

Just get the right hook ups to have your Xbox connect directly to your TV instead of through your VCR.

LINKINPARK8591
08-21-2003, 11:32 AM
thankz i'll see about getting that hook up for it i just want to have the video hooked up to the tv because i have the audio hooked up to my Stereo, also about copying the movies on vhs i could care less but yeah i guess they just wanted to take that percaution.................thankz so it can't mess my xbox up though right. how much does the switch cost? do u guys know.?:huh: :cheers: :watchout:

webdaemon
08-22-2003, 12:47 AM
Yup, that's it. I had that problem with my DVD player connected through my VCR a few years ago.

BTW, Linkin Park rules!:cheers:

BCan
08-22-2003, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
Now, that means you could be copying movies illegally from your Xbox onto a VHS in your VCR. The film industry knows this and developed said technology to prevent you from copying movies illegally. Simple as that.

To copy a DVD is not illegal, where did you get that idea?????

DVD's would fall in the same area as CD's and VHS videos when used at home. Under copyright law, you are able to make copies for use within your own home. So, infact the movie studio's are depriving you of a legal right you have.

The illegality of it all is distribution, not the copying. Don't think because they stopped you doing it, that it's illegal. They were relatively fine with VHS copying, since the quality reduced with every copy.

Yeah, Macrovision sucks, but they didn't want people to copy from DVD to VHS and sell pirated copies. Macrovision is about as legal as region coding for DVD's. It is depriving users the choice of where to buy their movies. It is an artificial barrier created by and for the movie studios - who either own part of, or gave truck loads of money to the electronics manufacturers to go along with this.

Simply said, in a perfect world, there would be a NTSC copy and a PAL copy, and that is all we'd need...