PDA

View Full Version : How do I hook X-Box to my Stereo?

Dave
12-17-2001, 02:40 PM
I have a Kenwood system and would like to hook my X-Box up to my stereo if I can, but I have no idea how to hook it up? Saw an outlet for a phone line, and that's it. Is there a part I gotta buy, or am I just missing something to hook this bad boy up to my sound system?

pukkaboy
12-17-2001, 02:44 PM
i Dont know, But a guess would be through an AV thing or a SCART plug from the back of your TV. Something like that, I dunno.

Hugh_Jass
12-17-2001, 07:55 PM
The standard AV cable has a red, yellow, and white connection.
The yellow cable is for video. The red and white cables are for stereo audio. You may need an extension cable or two if your TV is not near your stereo.

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 10:56 AM
what your asking is what cables do you need to hook between your sterio and your tv right?

thats a good question. you just want to ues the sterio for sound or is a full receiver unit? If its a receiver for an entertainment system i know you hook your xbox cable to your xbox and run it to into an input on your receiver
then run the cables from an output on your receive to the tv and or if you would only hook the video to the tv if you were using speakers attached to your receiver. I need to learn more about this stuff because i plan on getting a full dolby digital 5.1 system.

kirkyg

Hugh_Jass
12-18-2001, 12:12 PM
Audio cables go to the reciever
Video cables go to the TV

Unless...

If your receiver switches video you can run the video cable to your reciever and another video cable from your receiver to your TV. Then you can use your reciever to switch between your VCR, DVD, XBOX...whatever.

Ninja Scroll
12-18-2001, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
The standard AV cable has a red, yellow, and white connection.
The yellow cable is for video. The red and white cables are for stereo audio. You may need an extension cable or two if your TV is not near your stereo.

Hey Hugh_Jass!
your right about what you said , but what if (which I do) your VCR w/ hi-fi has better sound from the stereo system than your TV.
So what I want to know is can you hook up the white & red AV plugs to the VCR and the yellow to the TV so you can get sorround sound from your stereo system?

I know you can hook all three to hte vcr, but I want to know can you do it for the DVD player in the Xbox?

And is there a such thing as an AV extention cord? Like to extent to yellow AV to my TV so I can plug the red & white to the VCR?

Someone please help this Ninja Super Hero!;)

XAddict
12-18-2001, 02:00 PM
If i where you i would try looking in stores and asking people from stores like radio shack of circuit city. I believe they hold the key to this answer

Hugh_Jass
12-18-2001, 07:38 PM
You can run the XBOX audio through your VCR but the video cannot run through your VCR if you plan to watch DVDs on your XBOX.

I would just run the cables directly from the XBOX to my stereo and not run them through the VCR unless you're out of audio inputs on your stereo.

I think there are RCA extension cables. If not, I know for sure there are RCA male-to-male couplers available.

Dave
12-18-2001, 09:52 PM
I just ran the 2 wires from the Xbox to the reciever, and the other wire to the T.V. I like it in stereo. Had to program a new graphic level with almost everythinga down to play it low when people are sleeping because the quietest my stereo can possibly be is still kinda loud.

Ninja Scroll
12-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass
You can run the XBOX audio through your VCR but the video cannot run through your VCR if you plan to watch DVDs on your XBOX.

I would just run the cables directly from the XBOX to my stereo and not run them through the VCR unless you're out of audio inputs on your stereo.

I think there are RCA extension cables. If not, I know for sure there are RCA male-to-male couplers available.

Thanks a million Hugh_Jass!:cool:

batman46st
12-19-2001, 09:20 AM
so for audio in your sterio the best thing to do is just put yur red and white cables in the tv and the yellow in your sterio and thats all????

Hugh_Jass
12-19-2001, 07:06 PM
Yellow -> TV
Red, White -> Stereo