PDA

View Full Version : How do i know if i have 5.1 ?????

XboxAddict04
12-17-2001, 07:15 PM
How do i know if i have 5.1 cabibility?? and whats the differance between- 5.1, DTS, and dolby digital???

is an optical input look like a bigger mouse plug?? its round with many pins inside-thats whats on the back of my tv, and also when using the AV pack do u have 2 buy any additional cords??

thanx

adam

Frostberg
12-17-2001, 07:28 PM
ummm yeahhh...you need a receiver with 5 speakers and 1 subwoofer...thats 5.1...now only games support DD, and movies support DTS...as long as your receiver does

now the optical plug doesnt plug into your tv, it goes to your receiver...what you are seeing is the S-Video plug...if you get one of MSs "packs" you need the optical cable

XboxAddict04
12-17-2001, 07:40 PM
My uncle is gettin my parents a sound system 4 xmas so i dont know what it is yet

1 - I do or dont need any extra cables if i get the Advanced AV pack?? i know the monster pack has evrything

2- Does a s video plug in the back of the TV offer any advatages over the red,yellow and white 3 plug style?

3- and what all do i need 2 hook it up if its just a regular sound sytem? just the advanced av pack??

Thanx

adam

Hugh_Jass
12-17-2001, 08:17 PM
The Advanced AV Pack does not include an optical cable, which you need if you want DD 5.1.

LynxFX
12-17-2001, 08:41 PM
xboxaddict,

Just so you know the monster cables do not come with everything. You still have to buy their optical cable for 5.1 sound which is another $35 since they made their connection proprietary. How nice.

Frostberg
12-17-2001, 09:29 PM
I dunno, its good for people who dont want it I guess, then they dont have to pay for the extras...but if you can afford monster cables, you dont care about the adapter

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 11:37 AM
I'll be in the market to buy a badass receiver soon. Can you guys help me out. I want it for my sony wega to use for movies and my xbox.

kirkyg

Hugh_Jass
12-18-2001, 11:48 AM
What is your budget?

l Maximus l
12-18-2001, 11:58 AM
The five prong input on the back of your TV is for S-Video. Because you have this, I strongly recommend purchasing the "Advanced A/V Pack"...it will make the video image much richer and vibrant in color over your standard RCA cables (the ones that come with the XBox...in other words, the yellow, red, and white cables).

I have the Advanced A/V Pack and I have compared it to my standard RCA cables...there is a world of difference on my 36" Toshiba S-Video Television.

As for getting 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround Sound, you simply have to purchase or get a five speaker set and you have to have the receiver to power them. The receiver is for your audio (sound), so your audio from the receiver connects to your TV. The video portion connects to your TV.

In regards to optical, you really don't need this unless you have an HDTV or Plasma TV. If that is the case, then pick up some Monster 300s or 400s. I haven't seen those cables in action on an HDTV or Plasma TV for a gaming console, but, I hear that you will seriously rock out by having them! Crystal clear :D

LynxFX
12-18-2001, 12:50 PM
Actually Maximus, the optical toslink connection has nothing to do with the tv. That is what will connect to the receiver to give you DD sound. I could be playing on a 13" black and white tv and still be using DD sound. If you just took the stereo connectors to a receiver with a DD 5.1 setup then you will still just be getting stereo sound.
Your receiver doesn't even have to be connected in anyway to your tv. If it is then it is just video switching, not sound (for gaming purposes anyway).

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 03:36 PM
not sure what my budget is yet...i usually like to head towards the upper end on electronics and buy only one big thing at a time. So throw out some ideas and i'll check it out if you dont mind.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 03:39 PM
Best Buy has a good deal on Receivers, buy a $400 or up Sony receiver, which are pretty nice and feature packed and you will get a $200 value 6 speaker set free. The speakers are average, but if you have a nice receiver, then you can always upgrade later, but the free speakers should be enough to last you awhile

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 03:40 PM
thats a pretty good deal...thats right up my alley...how long is this deal going on...i wont be ready to buy it for a while.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 04:28 PM
only til this saturday, sorry...It is a really good deal because sonys cheapest package gives you a bottom of the barrel receiver and average speakers. With the deal, you get a $200 KLH 6 speaker set. Id say it is comparable to the sony speakers in their package. But because you are getting a receiver that is much better than the package deal receiver, it makes this deal great. It has 2 extra optical sound inputs and a bunch more S-Video and AV inputs, along with virtual 6.1 to make the illusion of having a rear channel speaker.

DBXNY
12-18-2001, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Frostberg
Best Buy has a good deal on Receivers, buy a $400 or up Sony receiver, which are pretty nice and feature packed and you will get a $200 value 6 speaker set free. The speakers are average, but if you have a nice receiver, then you can always upgrade later, but the free speakers should be enough to last you awhile

Or go to another store, like Circuit City, and ask for a Kenwood HTB503 home theater in a box setup. Should be under $600.00 and trust me, it's way much better than the Sony reciever/KLH setup.

DB:)

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 07:00 PM
yeah kenwood makes better speakers, but for $600...kirkyg is on a budget, and $200 is a substantial savings...

DBXNY
12-18-2001, 07:22 PM
Check out this link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5PchJ4p4nq8/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=37600&I=113HTB504&o=P&a=0

This is actually for the newer model HTB504. Crutchfield also isn't known for the best prices. I'm sure you get get the setup for under $499 elsewhere. Add on a good DVD player (like Panasonic RV31 for interlaced or Panasonic RP56 for progressive-scan if you have an HDTV) and you'll have a very good start-up system. The Kenwood HTB503/504 has gotten very good reviews for being an all-in-one system. I think the Kenwood receivers are much better performers than the low-end Sony receivers.

kirkyg
12-18-2001, 07:47 PM
kenwood???????
dunno about that. that surprises me.

kirkyg

Frostberg
12-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by DBXNY
Check out this link:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5PchJ4p4nq8/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=4&g=37600&I=113HTB504&o=P&a=0

This is actually for the newer model HTB504. Crutchfield also isn't known for the best prices. I'm sure you get get the setup for under $499 elsewhere. Add on a good DVD player (like Panasonic RV31 for interlaced or Panasonic RP56 for progressive-scan if you have an HDTV) and you'll have a very good start-up system. The Kenwood HTB503/504 has gotten very good reviews for being an all-in-one system. I think the Kenwood receivers are much better performers than the low-end Sony receivers.

its only $400...and it isint really low end like the package receivers....its still a really good deal

VAN
12-19-2001, 08:53 AM
I went through the first 23 years of my life thinking I had 5.1. Then one day back in 1997, my girlfriend at them time produced a ruler and confirmed my worst fears, (and her long-time assumptions)..........I was only 4.7.

I was crushed.

Wait....are we talking about the same thing here? Uhh...this is embarrassing. Forget what I said, ok?

::steps slowly away from the thread before people start pointing and laughing:::