PDA

View Full Version : New Fever Review from a none xbox fansite

borka105
08-25-2003, 08:14 AM
http://www.nlgaming.com/reviewDisp.asp?id=663

"Mike's Bottom Line - Fever's a contender!
We end this long review with a simple statement. Don't let the looks or the name fool you, this year NFL Fever is for real. Backed by a new way to play online, and a brand new passing system that no one else has even tried to duplicate yet, Fever might actually turn a head or two. It's still got some cleaning up to do, but the improvements make this game legitimate competition. Madden once again is not online on the Xbox, and while ESPN is and will be a force to be reckoned with, it doesn't have XSN. Look, the Madden name will always be number one, that is a given. But I am asking you, from one gamer to another, and as a rabid Sega Sports NFL fan, to at the very least give NFL Fever 2004 a try. Rent it, or go to a place where you can trade it in if you don't like it. But this may be my Football game for the year, and the new improvements may prove the same for you as well. Even with the few shortcomings, I have to say kudos to Microsoft for not just rolling over, and this year putting a really nice Football game on the market. We'll see you in the NLG Football League!"

click on the link to read the full in-depth review.

-borka105

AlBoogy
08-25-2003, 11:59 AM
Do these reviewers get a chance to play on xsn if the site isnt even up yet?

mattgame
08-25-2003, 01:08 PM
That is very interesting. I didn't get fever last year because I was stuck on Madden and NCAA. The game looked like it stayed the same. However, if a non Xbox article thinks it is good, then I may have to check this one out. Fever has the potential, I just can't get with the bull legged movement. That is just one my pet peeves but the game has potential.

PapaSKooT
08-25-2003, 01:33 PM
I got the first one, and skipped the second one cause nothing changed enough to warrent a $50 purchase (hooray! they made the scoreboards green and added online play). Plus, it was too easy to cheat, on and offline.

This year, i may give it a chance.

borka105
08-25-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by AlBoogy
Do these reviewers get a chance to play on xsn if the site isnt even up yet?

according to the review, the guy has seen it. Don't know if he has played it....... but he seems very excited about it.

-borka105

AlBoogy
08-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Browsing TXB forums someone posted a pic of his current stats in Fever. I saw in 3 or 4 seperate games people were scoring 70+ points. I really hope its not that hard to play d.

BORNGD
08-25-2003, 06:44 PM
yea i dont have much faith in the new fever title...i really despise beating a team 70 to 14 like last year...

I do like that XSN idea...GREAT IDEA!

AlBoogy
08-25-2003, 08:55 PM
http://slowspeed.com/xsn/feverSeason.jpg

Props to Spin at TXB forums. You can see there that one guy scored 83 points. And in another game someone scored 77 and his opponent scored over 50. I was really looking forward to this but now Im having doubts...

bluefire712
08-25-2003, 10:31 PM

Props to Spin at TXB forums. You can see there that one guy scored 83 points. And in another game someone scored 77 and his opponent scored over 50. I was really looking forward to this but now Im having doubts...

I wouldn't give up faith just yet, because those games on that screenshot were probably just rigged and not 2-4 people actually playing football trying to win. To make the screenshot they probably just let them score on eachother.

PapaSKooT
08-25-2003, 10:51 PM
other than the scores, i'me really liking the screenshot. :D

AlBoogy
08-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by bluefire712

I wouldn't give up faith just yet, because those games on that screenshot were probably just rigged and not 2-4 people actually playing football trying to win. To make the screenshot they probably just let them score on eachother.

Why would they do that? Why wouldnt they just take a shutout if that were the case? Im beginning to believe that deep ball thing they had going in past fevers are going to be to hard to defend.

DocHoliday78
08-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Well so far Fever has been recieving good reviews. I wish OXM would have just put out a 3 football game demo disc w/ Sept issue.

Duke
08-26-2003, 10:35 AM
Definitely gonna give this at least a rent. W/ the XSN thing, it might make me switch from sega.

Actually, from the things I've heard, I'm really interested in all 3 this year, but $150 for 3 football games? gonna have to think on that.

Xbox Owner
08-26-2003, 10:43 AM

Why would they do that? Why wouldnt they just take a shutout if that were the case? Im beginning to believe that deep ball thing they had going in past fevers are going to be to hard to defend.

I heard the pics were of XSN, while they were like creating it, they just put in random numbers.

borka105
08-26-2003, 02:17 PM
exactly.........those aren't real games, but just random numbers.

LB_Z who posts in the footballgaming forums has had the game for almost a month. The guy pretty much plays only football games and he says the stats and scores are VERY realistic.

those are obviously fake!

-borka105

AlBoogy
08-26-2003, 06:23 PM
I hope you guys are right. That screen really changed my thought on the game.

AlBoogy
08-27-2003, 10:16 AM
Alright, TXB staff were invited to a tournament and test run through xsn last week. Here (http://www.teamxbox.com/article.php?id=631&t=f) is their write up. Looks a lot better (score-wise) then the other screen I put up. Good read...

borka105
08-27-2003, 01:57 PM
those scores and stats are very realistic. Infact, maybe a little too low scoring.....

-borka105

BORNGD
08-27-2003, 02:37 PM
oh no...this does look good :) if the scoring is that realistic...hmmm....i might have to get this one instead of espn...what to do??? XSN looks great!

yeszir
08-27-2003, 03:03 PM
I have one question about xsn thats been bothering me. If i join a league, not ALL the games that i pla on fever count towards the league do they? I know it sounds stupid, but im assuming that there is a league screen in the xbox game itself that you have to sign into in order for those games to count because i dont want m brother screwing up my league stats if he wants to play. Thanks in advance.

Chaotic
08-27-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by yeszir
I have one question about xsn thats been bothering me. If i join a league, not ALL the games that i pla on fever count towards the league do they? I know it sounds stupid, but im assuming that there is a league screen in the xbox game itself that you have to sign into in order for those games to count because i dont want m brother screwing up my league stats if he wants to play. Thanks in advance.

No they don't. You have to sign into xsn to play your tourney games.

AlBoogy
08-27-2003, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by BORNGD
oh no...this does look good :) if the scoring is that realistic...hmmm....i might have to get this one instead of espn...what to do??? XSN looks great!

If I HAD to choose between the 2 I would get ESPN. I think XSN would last me for a while but the gameplay would get on my nerves (compared to ESPN).

MerimacHamwich
08-27-2003, 06:52 PM

If I HAD to choose between the 2 I would get ESPN. I think XSN would last me for a while but the gameplay would get on my nerves (compared to ESPN).
You haven't played either though. It really bothers me when poeple start talking about a games gameplay before it comes out. Especially when they are basing their opinion on past games and the developers of the new game have stated that they rebuilt the game from the ground up.

robnyack
08-27-2003, 07:47 PM
what threw me for a loop today was when I was reading the TechTV review of ESPN Football, they just casually threw in a line that rocked my world:

For online gamers, the excellent news is Sega has addressed the issue with cheaters (who would pause a game to force you out and avoid a loss). A new countdown timer on the pause screen fixes it nicely. There is also now the option to set up an online league, as well.

ONLINE LEAGUE MODE?????????????????????????? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT????????????????

AlBoogy
08-27-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich

You haven't played either though. It really bothers me when poeple start talking about a games gameplay before it comes out. Especially when they are basing their opinion on past games and the developers of the new game have stated that they rebuilt the game from the ground up.

Rebuilt the game from the ground up? Come on now, DB upgrades and lead passing is hardly rebuilding the game from the ground up. If it was rebuilt then it would look different. It looks the same except for the usual touch ups. No, I havent played either version, youre right. But fact of the matter is Fever is still a relatively new franchise and it will take time for them to catch up to the likes of Madden and ESPN.

Ugunnalose
08-27-2003, 09:42 PM
xsn starts the day fever is released

mattgame
08-28-2003, 08:28 AM

Rebuilt the game from the ground up? Come on now, DB upgrades and lead passing is hardly rebuilding the game from the ground up. If it was rebuilt then it would look different. It looks the same except for the usual touch ups. No, I havent played either version, youre right. But fact of the matter is Fever is still a relatively new franchise and it will take time for them to catch up to the likes of Madden and ESPN.

Exactly, however, it may not take that long for Fever to catch up because honestly, I think ESPN and Madden are resting on their laurels. I think if the folk who make Fever go all out they can catch them in one huge effort.