PDA

View Full Version : HL2 to look better on XBOX?

BCan
08-26-2003, 08:37 AM
With the current known problems with FSAA, Direct X 9, and the upcoming 9.1 that may not solve the problem with artifacting of certain textures. Will we on the black box get the better looking game?

I know that those out there with the machines powerful enough will just turn off FSAA, and deal with it, but I know I want it for PC, just for the mods that should exist.

But if it looks awesome on the XBOX, I will probably want it there too

Shadow20002
08-26-2003, 08:40 AM
want do you want to point in Halo 2 for xbox ? :watchout:

zombiemonkey
08-26-2003, 09:54 AM
Shadow is confused.....

No way it will look better on the xbox. But it wont look bad on the xbox.

JR Alberda
08-26-2003, 01:45 PM
Im hoping that the mods will be on XBOX as well. We will see. In the xboxlive survey that I took recently they asked the question of what game you would like to see live. I said DOD hl mod.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-26-2003, 02:19 PM
I really don't think it will look better on the Xbox. Something tells me an overclocked top of the line PC would kick the **** out of the Xbox.

carlbme
08-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Definatly look better on a PC.
As much as I love the Xbox, no way could it compete with 1024x768 (or higher) with 8XAA (Anti-Aliasing) and 16XAF(Anisotropic Filtering) turned on.

Chaotic
08-26-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by carlbme
As much as I love the Xbox, no way could it compete with 1024x768 (or higher) with 8XAA (Anti-Aliasing) and 16XAF(Anisotropic Filtering) turned on.

I would up that resolution to 1280x1024 anything below this i think xbox looks much better.

spectre187
08-26-2003, 03:18 PM
1600 X 1200 is the way to go

Arrix
08-26-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by carlbme

Amen to that brother! :cheers:

DocHoliday78
08-27-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage

I would up that resolution to 1280x1024 anything below this i think xbox looks much better.
My thoughts exactly. To answer the question if you got a good pc the graphics will smoke Xbox. BUT, i would totaly get HL2 on xbox if it came out before PC's release date.

Sodacider
08-27-2003, 05:37 AM
half life 2 isn't going to look stunning, period. it's not a graphics game like Unreal 2 was (which conversely had bad game dynamics, something HL2 looks to excel at)

I don't quite understand your comments about DX9 and DX9.1. You do realize the same graphics core is used on the XBOX? Microsoft had the technology to make stunning graphics on it's xbox that beat out the competition only because of their fully mature Direct X systems. They didn't make something brand new.

BCan
08-27-2003, 08:46 AM
The XBOX uses a modified Direct 8.1 core, not 9 or 9.1....

If any of you bothered to read what I said, or know what the problem is with HL2 and DirectX 9. It is that FSAA will produce a game that has artifacting, that it will look ordinary. It is the way the graphics engine is designed, to do with using smaller textures stretched over larger areas, to help slower machines run. This "feature" causes known problems in DirectX 9 when using FSAA.

Where do you get the opinion that HL2 will not look good, every pick I have seen shows that it is....

None of the in game movies shown have FSAA turned on, because of the way it affects picture quality. SO, I ask you again, will the XBOX have the better looking game.

Sodacider
08-27-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by BCan
Where do you get the opinion that HL2 will not look good, every pick I have seen shows that it is....

it looks good, but it's not drop dead gorgeous nor is it real unique or special in the graphics department.
Don't get me wrong- I think the game's gonna be awesome. It's sure as hell on my pre-order list.

Games based on graphics still lead the pack, though. Unreal 2. Half Life 2 isn't going to have graphics as good as Unreal 2. However, it's going to sell much better and have alot better gameplay. The reason being, graphically speaking, is that Unreal 2 was designed for high end systems and was designed with graphics in mind, whereas Half Life 2 is designed for the most common base systems and, while it has much better attributes at higher resolutions with more features turned on, it wasn't designed with graphics in mind.

Viper87227
08-27-2003, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by zombiemonkey
Shadow is confused.....

No way it will look better on the xbox. But it wont look bad on the xbox.

after trying to figure out what he was trying to say, I am too.
:huh:

As far as XBOX HL2 looking better, dont count on it. I think they will be hard pressed to make the XBox version look as good as the PC version, let alone better. There might be problems on the PC to work around, but the fact remains that a good computer can kick the kaboogins outta an XBox. I will get HL2 on xbox either way, but I dont really care how good the grafix are...because the game will still be revolutionary

Cryogenic Pyro
08-28-2003, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by Sodacider

it looks good, but it's not drop dead gorgeous nor is it real unique or special in the graphics department.
Don't get me wrong- I think the game's gonna be awesome. It's sure as hell on my pre-order list.

Games based on graphics still lead the pack, though. Unreal 2. Half Life 2 isn't going to have graphics as good as Unreal 2. However, it's going to sell much better and have alot better gameplay. The reason being, graphically speaking, is that Unreal 2 was designed for high end systems and was designed with graphics in mind, whereas Half Life 2 is designed for the most common base systems and, while it has much better attributes at higher resolutions with more features turned on, it wasn't designed with graphics in mind.
I'm sorry, but I cannot agree with you. From every screenshot I've seen, Half-Life 2 owns Unreal 2 in the graphics department. The only thing I can say that might look better in Unreal 2 than in Half-Life 2 is the flame thrower graphics.

Stormlord
08-28-2003, 06:44 AM
Doom III will own them both in the graphics department. Plus John Carmack said it won't be scaled down for the Xbox and after seeing what he did with Quake III on Dreamcast and PS2 I can actually beleive him. Anyways there's no doubt that Doom III will support HDTV so high res all the way. As for Half-Life on Xbox... I'd say it would look just as good. Sure modern day PCs are more powerful than an Xbox but Xbox is a fixed system. They won't have to worry about different configurations on it. Plus the Xbox has shown that if you care to put in some effort you can make an Xbox title look spectacular like a modern day PC game or if not better, even on low res! The only way that the Xbox will look better would be if Valve takes a year or two to actually build HL 2 for Xbox. Straight porting makes the graphics look muddy. Hell have you seen the screens for Unreal II on Xbox? If you played or saw the Dreamcast or PS2 version of Half-Life you noticed how it looked way better than the PC version. But Valve is just going to port it to Xbox so if there's any graphic bugs or issues you're screwed. But who knows...Valve just may surprise you. :cheers:

Ethereal S. D.
08-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Maybe this is why the pc version is delayed... or is valve just pulling our strings. :cuss: valve... give us a good xbox port.

Cryogenic Pyro
08-28-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
Doom III will own them both in the graphics department. Plus John Carmack said it won't be scaled down for the Xbox and after seeing what he did with Quake III on Dreamcast and PS2 I can actually beleive him. Anyways there's no doubt that Doom III will support HDTV so high res all the way. As for Half-Life on Xbox... I'd say it would look just as good. Sure modern day PCs are more powerful than an Xbox but Xbox is a fixed system. They won't have to worry about different configurations on it. Plus the Xbox has shown that if you care to put in some effort you can make an Xbox title look spectacular like a modern day PC game or if not better, even on low res! The only way that the Xbox will look better would be if Valve takes a year or two to actually build HL 2 for Xbox. Straight porting makes the graphics look muddy. Hell have you seen the screens for Unreal II on Xbox? If you played or saw the Dreamcast or PS2 version of Half-Life you noticed how it looked way better than the PC version. But Valve is just going to port it to Xbox so if there's any graphic bugs or issues you're screwed. But who knows...Valve just may surprise you. :cheers:

Yes, I've played HL on PS2, and the graphics were much, much better than the computer, but it came out a long time after HL for the PC did so they had time to tweak it. If they were to re-release HL for the PC at the same time as the PS2 and DC versions with all the same amount of time put in, it would have looked even better than both of those.

I do believe that Doom III will beat HL2, but that's because Doom III put a lot more emphasis on graphics than HL2 did.