PDA

View Full Version : QUestion

XAddict
12-17-2001, 09:00 PM
How good is the xbox's dvd in comparison to the ps2. I havnt seen the xbox's yet and i am curious as to wheter i should get the dvd playback kit. o yeah i saw some reviews on the new Obi wan game. It looks AWESOME!!! 8 more days

MadDawg276
12-17-2001, 09:03 PM
It is quiter than the PS2 DVD

xboxman_1
12-17-2001, 09:31 PM
Why are you counting 8 more days? Do you get Obi-wan on christmas or something? cause it comes out the 20th.

Mario
12-17-2001, 09:33 PM
They are basically the same, a DVD player is a DVD player, the image is basically the same, but the PS2 can play DVD's right out of the box, the XBox needs to have a second hardware accessorie that unlocks the hardware in the box so its capable of playing DVD movies.

Sachile_
12-17-2001, 09:38 PM
^ what the hells a manshion. hehe, i never saw the PS2s but the Xboxs was great, FF looked sweet!

Mario
12-17-2001, 09:44 PM
lol, Luigi's Manshion =P, dont like my spelling?

xboxpebbles
12-18-2001, 05:17 AM
and after u buy the playback kit...i think every1 will be happy...
although its not accessable out of the box... its really not that bad...
the box dvd player is much better than the ps2 in my opinion..it has many more features like center zoom, forward, and the sections.. and the picture seems to be very good...:D
and u get a nice xbox controller and ir port...
ps...this is my 1st time seeing a dvd even play!!(lol..i know its crazy), so i cant wait to get it:):)

XAddict
12-18-2001, 01:31 PM
thanks guys/ AND YEAH I AM GETTING OBI WAN ON CHRISTMAS

l Maximus l
12-18-2001, 01:38 PM
XBoxpebbles...lol...don't worry...It's my first DVD player, too :D I didn't purchase a normal DVD player on purpose since I knew I was going to have one on the XBox :p

Hey, Mario...how about that LameCube? No DVD player at all. Kind of a bummer compared to the competition, eh?

And, if you compare the DVD player from the XBox versus the PoS2, I would like to point out the remote control. The remote control on the XBox is great...aerodynamic, black, green, and it has some white buttons on there as well. But, check this, on the PoS2 remote, there are buttons that have the infamouns triangle, square, and "X" and so on actually on the remote control itself, just like the controllers that hook to the console. LOL...this is funny as hell...think about it for a moment: (Talking to my wife) "Hey, babe...could you hit play so we can watch the movie? Just hit the upside down pink triangle button and it will play the movie!"...how g a y can you get? lol

XAddict
12-18-2001, 01:43 PM
When my girlfriend comes over i dont wanna be playing the movie and then all of a sudden something happens.

g/f- what happened

me- ohh you pushed the pink sqaure, now u see its actually the x that need to push

LynxFX
12-18-2001, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Mario
They are basically the same, a DVD player is a DVD player,

So far from the truth. Image quality can vary quite a bit from one dvd player to another. There is a reason why some players cost $99 at wally mart and another costs $2500 at Listen UP.

I believe the xbox does have the edge on dvd playing for consoles. The PS2 does have some disc compatibility problems.

Msterrrr
12-18-2001, 01:48 PM
check this out it came from gamepro,,,

Talk about doing it right the first time. As a DVD movie player, the Xbox whups the PS2’s narrow backside. Both the superb Xbox DVD remote control (an additional $30) and its DVD-playing capability put Sony's PS2 DVD-movie performance to shame.

For starters, the Xbox doesn't require the sacrifice of almost 2.5 MB on a memory card—once you spend that extra $30 to enable DVD playback, you're good to go. But the Xbox's extra DVD-playing features are really where it shines. The blistering five levels of fast-forwarding (32X maximum) are a treat after slogging around a disc with Sony's three-level fast-forwarding. The load time to start a movie is far, far briefer than the PS2’s, and unlike the PS2, you can just type in a number on the remote to skip ahead to a new chapter without accessing submenus.

:D :cool: :D :cool: now i just have to get a dvd movie,,lol
think gladitor will be my first pick

XAddict
12-18-2001, 01:53 PM
im just gonna buy jurrasic park three. THEN i get a free dvd when i buy that. ohhh I love cheating the system

l Maximus l
12-18-2001, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by Msterrrr
check this out it came from gamepro,,,

Talk about doing it right the first time. As a DVD movie player, the Xbox whups the PS2’s narrow backside. Both the superb Xbox DVD remote control (an additional $30) and its DVD-playing capability put Sony's PS2 DVD-movie performance to shame.

For starters, the Xbox doesn't require the sacrifice of almost 2.5 MB on a memory card—once you spend that extra $30 to enable DVD playback, you're good to go. But the Xbox's extra DVD-playing features are really where it shines. The blistering five levels of fast-forwarding (32X maximum) are a treat after slogging around a disc with Sony's three-level fast-forwarding. The load time to start a movie is far, far briefer than the PS2’s, and unlike the PS2, you can just type in a number on the remote to skip ahead to a new chapter without accessing submenus.

:D :cool: :D :cool: now i just have to get a dvd movie,,lol
think gladitor will be my first pick

Nice, dude! Gladiator was the first movie I played in my XBox! Hence my nickname ;)

Hey, I have a question, though...does anyone know if you can zoom in so the picture fills the screen of a standard tube television? If it doesn't, that's quite okay...I have a 36" Toshiba, so the image isn't too small...it's just right :) But, filling the entire screen would be pretty cool to compare.

Msterrrr
12-18-2001, 03:28 PM
hey max,,, i just set up a dvd at my mothers house,, she had the same problem,, are you talking about the black bars on the top and bottom?
if so it only if the dvd an support it,, pan and scan seems to ring a bell and not 4:3 format that what gives you the black bars its letterboxed,,
im sure one of the others in this thread can tell ya for sure,,,

after gladitor i think im going for the godfather series ohhyeahhh,, goodfellas ,, usual suspects,, boy this going to get $$$$

XAddict
12-18-2001, 05:56 PM
i hate thoseblack bars though

Hugh_Jass
12-18-2001, 07:57 PM
When you learn to love film you will learn to love those black bars.