PDA

View Full Version : Xbox DVD Player Problems

sabca
08-26-2003, 10:46 PM
So has anyone else experienced movie's freezing about halfway through? It's becoming a pain in the ass. Basically they just freeze and stutter and these coloured boxes pop up on the screen. Sometimes I can get it working, but tonight for example I had to stop watching the movie I was in the middle of because I couldn't get it going again. Major pain in the ass. Anyone with any information or reccomendations could you please help :)

Dyslexic Chaos
08-26-2003, 10:56 PM
My recomendation is to, quite frankly, get a damn DVD player. The one included in the Xbox apparently gets damaged when u play DVDs on it. Besides, a good DVD player will probably only run you Max 250 Canadian, and one the Xbox quality, probably $100-150.

sabca
08-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. Unfortunately I need something to work untill I get the money :)

bluefire712
08-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by sabca
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been thinking. Unfortunately I need something to work untill I get the money :)

Definitely DON'T do that, at least not yet. I highly recommend getting a DVD lens cleaner from any electronics or PC store. I have one made by TriSonic, and put it through my Xbox once. RtCW no longer freezes! It's like magic, cheap magic too. I bought mine for $3 on eBay. If your impatient they definitely have something very similar at retail, but it'll be $10-20. Remember to get one with a wet/dry brush. It should come with a CD with a fine brush on it and a small dropper of cleaning solution. Quick (15 seconds, no wait afterwards), easy, and highly afforable.

Note: They have audio instructions on the CD to tell you which tracks to go to. Pop it into your computer first, remember which tracks you have to go to and approx. when. The Xbox doesn't actually "read" the disc very well so you probably won't hear the audio instructions, but just switch tracks like you heard them before.

DocHoliday78
08-27-2003, 12:59 AM
If you do that and it still has the same problem just call up 1-800-4-MYXBOX and explain to the rep what is happening. Microsoft will repair it for free and pay for air shipping both ways. Your saved games will be untouched and all of this will only take no more than a week. I had this same problem and now everything runs great. I havent had one DDE yet.:cheers:

Shadow20002
08-27-2003, 06:41 AM
First of all, i think you get a DVD cleaner then clean your Xbox. If is won't work, then try to call support from Microsoft.

sabca
08-27-2003, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the help guys. I'll try the lens cleaner kit :cheers:

LINKINPARK8591
08-27-2003, 03:55 PM
i would have to say the same as the other people although i havent had that problem, when i play dvd's on my dvd player some of the movies freeze and after i clean them it's fine. so i would also recommend that.:cheers: :cheers: :hail:

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by sabca
So has anyone else experienced movie's freezing about halfway through? It's becoming a pain in the ass. Basically they just freeze and stutter and these coloured boxes pop up on the screen. Sometimes I can get it working, but tonight for example I had to stop watching the movie I was in the middle of because I couldn't get it going again. Major pain in the ass. Anyone with any information or reccomendations could you please help :)

Get a Samsung for 140 canadian. The build quality is really good. Same as Toshiba's. I bought my Toshiba for $99 on sale. Plays great.

Nosferatu187
08-28-2003, 01:46 AM
the Xbox plays DVDs so ****ing use it.. clean your lens with a kit.. If you still have a problem call 1-800-4MYXBOX ( I think thats correct )

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:48 AM
Originally posted by Nosferatu187
the Xbox plays DVDs so ****ing use it.. clean your lens with a kit.. If you still have a problem call 1-800-4MYXBOX ( I think thats correct )

Just cause it has the option doesn't mean its a good option. The dvd player on the xbox is shoddy at best. Better then the PS2 but not by much. The picture quality is similar but the difference in sound on a 5.1 system is so noticable.

Nosferatu187
08-28-2003, 01:51 AM
well **** Im the kind of dude.. If its there and has the capability damn right Im gonna use it:p plus I got one of the newer model Xbox's only bought mine the beginning of this month

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:55 AM
The 1.3's dont have better dvd capabilities.

Holt88
08-28-2003, 07:22 AM
I wouldn't take apart the XBox for 2 reasons, void the warranty and you could kill you're self opening the XBox.

zeve
08-28-2003, 12:45 PM
My warranty was already up cause ****ing microsoft only gives you 90 days

I opened the xbox without any problems.

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Holt88
I wouldn't take apart the XBox for 2 reasons, void the warranty and you could kill you're self opening the XBox.

How could you kill yourself taking out four screws from under the pads and one from the under the sticker? All u need is the proper screwdriver, a butter knife and a blowdryer. I hope you were joking there....