PDA

View Full Version : "Your xbox requires service"

zeve
08-27-2003, 11:32 PM
So Iam playing Evildead for about 10 minutes when all of a sudden my Xbox freezes. Great...

So I turn it off and turn it back on, and I get this message

"Your xbox requires service, please call microsoft"

Something of the sort.

So I just turn it on and off again and then it worked. Then in the morning the Xbox gave the same message and hasnt worked since.

The light is blinking red and green.

I opened up the Xbox, tested the harddrive, it works. It seems as though that it is the cd drive because it is making strange noises, not a typical cd drive one. I tried cleaning it (qtip and other cleaner stuff, but not an actual lens cleaner) but it still didnt work.

I dont know what to do. I cant send it to Microsoft because they want $100 for repair!!!!!

So if anyone has any recommendations let me know.

Also, I saw the little Nvidia chip in there. If you guys could let me know which geforce that is and how much mb it is, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

CrazyCougar
08-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Well opening your xbox up, you already voided your warranty as it is. So I just suggest you shell out the bux for a new xbox. Probably your best solution. As for the discussing the insides and any modifications you may want to make, don't discuss that here please. Thanks.

zeve
08-27-2003, 11:58 PM
I didnt mention any modification to the xbox. I was asking what kind of chip it is because I might strip it and put it in my computer lol

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:02 AM
Well if ur positive that its the DVD drive then it's simple. Buy a new dvd drive! What are they now? 50-60 bucks? If its your hard drive, simply use Slayers HD Installer, format it and re-install your MS Dashboard. If it's you motherboard, then get a new xbox.

Edit: Oh ya I forgot. Boot it up with no game inside the drive. If it goes to the service screen it is not your disc drive because the xbox recognizes that there is no dvd in the tray and will go to the M$ dash. If it only has the error message when you boot a disc then it is definitly your dvd drive.

Nosferatu187
08-28-2003, 01:37 AM
man... Id hate getting one of those.. Id probley go through the flippin roof lol;)

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Nosferatu187
man... Id hate getting one of those.. Id probley go through the flippin roof lol;)

Try blowing your hard drive! Now that **** gets you scared! My friend starts tapping me on the shoulder and he's like "uhhh... ur hard drive is smokin..." There was smoke everywhere and we had to toss it into the pond to cool it down lol :cool:

Nosferatu187
08-28-2003, 02:14 AM
lmao.. My old gaming computer sorta did a "meltdown" power supply shorted out and the wires melted and everything went poof.. poor computer haha

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 02:17 AM
LOL, mine blew cause I think we hot swapped it too many times. 12 I think. The live power being constantly connected and disconnected probably wasn't too good for it.

LynxFX
08-28-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by zeve
I didnt mention any modification to the xbox. I was asking what kind of chip it is because I might strip it and put it in my computer lol
You can't. It is a custom nvidia chip that has no direct pc counterpart, nor a way of connecting it.

If it is just your disc drive you may be able to find one for sale on Ebay to replace. Probably run you $50. Or you could sell your busted xbox on Ebay and use that to purchase a new Xbox. When all is said and done you would come out under the $100 it takes to send in the Xbox for repairs.

Highlite23
08-28-2003, 09:47 AM
1. Did you get a code in the upper left corner when you got your error code? Example: 07

2. Once you know exactly what your dealing with you may want to go with LynxFX's advice.

Good Luck.

Chaotic
08-28-2003, 09:52 AM
Tight sig highlight :D

zeve
08-28-2003, 12:22 PM
The error code is 05. Anyone know the definition of that particuler message?

Also, I believe that I still get the message without the drive having a cd. Even without the drive plugged in. However, it really sounds like the motor or something of the CD drive. If anyone can help with that...

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 01:35 PM
The error code is 05. Anyone know the definition of that particuler message?

Also, I believe that I still get the message without the drive having a cd. Even without the drive plugged in. However, it really sounds like the motor or something of the CD drive. If anyone can help with that...

How could it be the cd drive if there is nothing in it? The boot sequence wouldn't let that happen.

If it's error five then it's your hard drive and it is not properly locked. Dont ask me how that happened cause I have no clue. You can either do two things, hot swap it in your computer to lock the drive, or get a modchip that has the bios that supports unlocked drives.

zeve
08-28-2003, 02:56 PM
How do I do that hotswap thing?

lllSmokelll
08-28-2003, 02:59 PM
happened to me, except mine was caused by surge, i called costumer service and paid 120 dollers to get it replaced

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by lllSmokelll
happened to me, except mine was caused by surge, i called costumer service and paid 120 dollers to get it replaced

You know you could have just bought a new hd for whatever amount of money, say a 30 gig is like 60 bucks or whatever. Then used Slayers install disc to install MS dashboard and you would have been good to go. Would have saved you some $$$.

And Zeve, just google search it and you will find tons of stuff cause I dont feel like writing it all out.

lllSmokelll
08-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Oxygen

You know you could have just bought a new hd for whatever amount of money, say a 30 gig is like 60 bucks or whatever. Then used Slayers install disc to install MS dashboard and you would have been good to go. Would have saved you some $$$.

:watchout: u cant put a different hd in it unless u mod it

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by lllSmokelll

:watchout: u cant put a different hd in it unless u mod it

Ya if you prepare it properly. You think MS uses some special types of HD's?

zeve
08-28-2003, 03:41 PM
All the tutorials i found require me to network my xbox and pc?!?!?! wtf is this. Isnt there just a simple way to lock this HD?

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 05:31 PM
Oh god. Just go buy a new xbox.

FuNkY mOnK
08-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Well if ur positive that its the DVD drive then it's simple. Buy a new dvd drive! What are they now? 50-60 bucks? I

Are you sure a dvd drive off the shelf will work? or are you just speculating?

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK

Are you sure a dvd drive off the shelf will work? or are you just speculating?

Of course it will! Why wouldn't it?

It's possible to connect a normal PC DVD-drive to your xbox.
This is very usefull if your xbox has a bad laser. A pc DVD-drive will not only give better results for DVD-r/rw , but also for CD-r/rw.
A pc DVD-drive will play pretty much all brands and load times will be shorter then when using the official Xbox DVD-drive.

Here's a nice pic if you dont believe me.
http://xbox-scene.com/imageserver2/swap-dvd/image022.jpg

zeve
08-28-2003, 06:18 PM
Oh god. Just go buy a new xbox.

For one minute lets pretend I dont have $150..because I dont.

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 06:26 PM

For one minute lets pretend I dont have $150..because I dont.

Here are your options. Your hard drive is gone because it is unlocked and there is no way of locking it without doing something to the hardware. So you either:

1. send it to MS to get fixed (lot of hassle)
2. hope that you got it from Wal-Mart and return it
3. Buy a new xbox
3. Get a 30 dollar modchip, install it. Use Slayers EVOX Installer to format the hard drive, re-partition it and re-install MS dash. (Does it all itself in a matter of minutes. Then you can even stick Config Magic if you want onto it which lets you lock and unlock your HD at will.

I dunno, but I would go the $30 route. Takes maximum a day to do everything if you are new to it (an hour if you know how to do it). Your choice in the end depending on where you want to spend your money.

zeve
08-28-2003, 08:04 PM
If I would get a new HD, would that work?

halo_demon
08-28-2003, 09:09 PM
NEVER EVER EVER put your Xbox on the carpet and use it.It can cause serious damage to you machine slowly but surely.Plus it wont be noticable til it happens and then your f*d up the arse.My friend's over heated one day and has never worked since.Place it on a book or on your box that it came with.Venting is necesarry for the machine.peace out

Liquid Oxygen
08-28-2003, 09:31 PM
If I would get a new HD, would that work?

No, cause you would need the modchip to install it properly. Those four options above are the only ones that I see working, unless someone else has something to add?

spectre187
08-28-2003, 10:13 PM
i found a website of a guy who fixes broken xboxs, has xbox parts, and will buy any broken xbox for 50 dollars... search for it online, might help ya...

zeve
08-28-2003, 10:46 PM
When I say a different HD I mean a hard drive that was taken from a different xbox..

Casper
08-28-2003, 11:57 PM
Ok, you're question appears to have been answered and it's now turning to way too much modchip talk. If you do have anymore doubt on what needs to get done, I'd advise to call 800-4MY-XBOX for further assistance.

But for now, thread closed and please review the rules for the boards. Thanks.