PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys grade games

crimson tide
08-28-2003, 10:34 PM
i respect gamespot and x box nation because they reveiw games harder than most mags and sites. if a game gets a 7.5 from gamespot or x box nation i will get it. if a game gets a 7 to 7.4 from gamespot or xbn because of graphic or difficulty i will get it. if a game scores a 8 from egm i will get it and if a game scores a 9 from ign and oxm i will get it so whats your stanards

ImmortalTech
08-28-2003, 10:38 PM
My standerds are really my own. I rent the game and if it's good then i buy it. See if i would have gone with Gamepro for Ghost Recon and bought it, Then i would have been ****ed and would of sold it on Ebay.Cause even though they are good people on doing that, i think it's your last say to make the game in your title library.Peace

AlBoogy
08-28-2003, 10:42 PM
My standards are pretty much like yours. If gamespot gives something over an 8.0 its a must buy. IGN really holds no credibility for me. I enjoy the write up but I dont take the actual numbers themselves serious.

bluefire712
08-28-2003, 11:16 PM
I think reviews are always bias no matter where it's from. If the review is really low, I won't buy it. Anything that recieves a good score (not excellent) I'm willing to try. The way I see it is the guy/gal reviewing the game is usually his or her favorite genre and is rating it pretty high to begin with. I have a very strict graing method. If anything is below a 6 or so I just won't buy it (graphics, gameplay, multiplayer, sound, controls, etc.). The one thing that irritates me the most is bad controls. Take "The Thing" or "Enclave" for example, both games I probably would have bought if it weren't for those awful controls I couldn't switch to a reasonable type.

crimson tide
08-29-2003, 12:22 AM
the only game that scored below a 7 from gamespot i like is gunvalkarie. they took a lot of points off because of the controls (which wernt that bad just took some getting use to) and the difficulty (which isnt that hard just like egm did f zero for the gamecube) but that has been the only low scoring game i have liked.

DocHoliday78
08-29-2003, 12:50 AM
Well, Gameplay is the most important of all areas. Then controll and Sound & Graphics.

SiGuy
08-30-2003, 02:09 AM
I grade them myself. ill read the reviews but pay no attention to the numbers. If the write up looks good then I might rent it. if it pasts the test and has some replay value then i might buy it. But if its one of those play through it once and be done with it games I wont even consider it

yeszir
08-30-2003, 09:05 AM
anything that gets above 80 percent usually (i check gamerankings) i consider buying. Of course i dont buy all of them, only the ones that interest me. If a game is borderline i usually rent it and then play it. If its fun for a long time, ill buy it.

l Maximus l
08-30-2003, 01:29 PM
Honestly, I depend more on what people are saying on this website about the game. Not necessarily the review section, but, in the forums where we all talk about it.

I mean, let's be real here, dudes...most of us here are just gamers...granted, we are hardcore big mutha truckers, but at the end of the day, we are still gamers. Those dudes at IGN and Gamespot do game reviews as their "job" while we are doing it just for fun.

So, if you ask me, the most reliable information is going to be getting information from people like you and me...just dudes that like to play vids :D

Can I get an Amen?! :cheers:

Highlite23
08-30-2003, 03:19 PM
AMEN BROTHA!!!

Papke
08-30-2003, 03:19 PM
Amen brotha!

Edit- Jesus Christ, looks like Highlite beat me to it....and boy did he beat me!

crimson tide
08-30-2003, 05:02 PM
i dont let reveiws make up my mind for me i just cant rent games i live in prescott arkansas a small town with a population of 3,682 so there is not a lot of stuff here the only video store here does not rent out games just movies. and i know what you guys are saying i live in arkansas but suport the alabama crimson tide what can i say the tide have more tradition than the hogs and one day i want to be the head coach of the tide . roll tide roll

Leo
08-31-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by crimson tide
i respect gamespot and x box nation because they reveiw games harder than most mags and sites. if a game gets a 7.5 from gamespot or x box nation i will get it. if a game gets a 7 to 7.4 from gamespot or xbn because of graphic or difficulty i will get it. if a game scores a 8 from egm i will get it and if a game scores a 9 from ign and oxm i will get it so whats your stanards

I trust IGN if a game gets 8.5 or higher I MIGHT get it, even if game gets 9 I rent them.

The only games I am for sure not gonna rent are Freedom Fighters, B.C., Halo 2, Fable, DOOM 3 and Half-Life 2 these are the best and the most WANTED GAMES on XBoX so far!

I either download demos or rent games, that's how I grade games. I downloaded XIII and Freedom Fighters demos, I played them and I love them! These 2 games I am also getting.

Leo
08-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
Honestly, I depend more on what people are saying on this website about the game. Not necessarily the review section, but, in the forums where we all talk about it.

I mean, let's be real here, dudes...most of us here are just gamers...granted, we are hardcore big mutha truckers, but at the end of the day, we are still gamers. Those dudes at IGN and Gamespot do game reviews as their "job" while we are doing it just for fun.

So, if you ask me, the most reliable information is going to be getting information from people like you and me...just dudes that like to play vids :D

Can I get an Amen?! :cheers:

Yeah your right, but still I read previews and review because I am just intrested.