PDA

View Full Version : Can an xbox hard drive..

zeve
08-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Can an xbox hard drive replace a different xbox hard drive (in the xbox). Keep in mind both drives have all original out of box files on them. Can this be done with out modifications and simply plug and play type function?

Holt88
08-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Nope won't work, you'll cause major problems.

zeve
08-29-2003, 12:24 AM
Could you explain what type of problems? Why it wont work?

Holt88
08-29-2003, 01:03 AM
Depends what you're putting in there. You could crash the whole thing or make it over heat or get you're killed just by opening it. There's a power supply with cans on it. It holds electricty and if you touch it you could die.

Papke
08-29-2003, 01:20 AM
Death by Xbox!

But it seems to me you could avoid that by.......unplugging it.

zeve
08-29-2003, 01:22 AM
You tottally misunderstood. Iam just asking, WILL it actually work after I dont die? Or will the xbox still error.

Holt88
08-29-2003, 02:03 AM
Unplugged or not, the electricty is stored in those towers and someone touching them will get it all released into them. Yes, I believe it will cause an error.

Chaotic
08-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by zeve
You tottally misunderstood. Iam just asking, WILL it actually work after I dont die? Or will the xbox still error.

The HD will not work because the sectors ID #'s are coded to work with the xbox they are currently in. If you go to switch them you will have mismatched ID #'s.

It will not work.

Duke
08-29-2003, 10:20 AM
Just not plug and play then right? There are ways to (ending that sentence there because stupid casper will probably ban me)

Dyslexic Chaos
08-29-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
Unplugged or not, the electricty is stored in those towers and someone touching them will get it all released into them. Yes, I believe it will cause an error.

Yeah, um, those "Towers" are called Capacitors. And by the looks of the size of the Xbox, they can't be very large. One the size of your fist coluldn't kill you. It would HURT, but it wouldn't kill you, because it only holds a short BURST or electrivity, good for things like sub-woofers in stereos where you may need a quick burst of electricity, and that's usually where the BIG ones are. Trust me, I am in my fourth year of electronics. BTW, no, unless you do something illegal to your 'box, which, like duke, i wont mention, you cannot swap the hard drives. Well, at least you know now that the Xbox won't kill you... Uless it falls on you or something...

zeve
08-29-2003, 11:54 AM
Ha, lifting up an xbox can kill you. That **** weighs alot lol. When you say ilegal, do you mean hardware wise or software wise.

Dyslexic Chaos
08-29-2003, 12:13 PM
i'm not at liberty to say...

Chaotic
08-29-2003, 12:17 PM
Ha, lifting up an xbox can kill you. That **** weighs alot lol. When you say ilegal, do you mean hardware wise or software wise.

Just know you can't do it. ;)

Casper
08-29-2003, 12:18 PM

Either or.

Look, this isn't really the site to look for assistance in replacing parts for your Xbox. We stand by the rules that when you buy an xbox game there is a non-disclosure in the agreement saying you cannot dissect, modify or in any way reverse engineer any xbox licensed software or hardware, doing so voids your warranty. This site works very close with Microsoft and therefore sticks by what rules they have. So let's just please try and keep this on a legit topic or it will get closed like the other one.

Thanks.

Reclaimer
08-29-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Just not plug and play then right? There are ways to (ending that sentence there because stupid casper will probably ban me)

He's not the only one eyeballing this thread!

Doing a good job avoiding the big no-no.

As per the topic, as I understand, you can't swap xbox drives yourself. I was reading somewhere that your componants have internal ID numbers and they all have to be correct or it won't work. If you have a legit problem with your xbox, then you need to have it serviced byMicrosoft.

zeve
08-29-2003, 12:22 PM
**** THOSE ****ERS AT MICROSOFT.

Iam not paying for ****. Iam gonna rip this mother ****er apart. They want $100 bucks? Suck my nuts!!!!!

Shadow20002
08-29-2003, 12:34 PM
Well, not really sure if is gonna work or not but what wrong with your Xbox now ? Something bad happened ?

zeve
08-29-2003, 12:41 PM
I never modded my xbox at all and in the middle of playing evil dead it freezes. I try turing it on and it says it needs service and theres a 05 error message. I checked and that means my HD is unlocked. So Iam trying to fix this without any mods. If you guys would stop going off topic and maybe helping me that would be good.

Chaotic
08-29-2003, 12:50 PM
I never modded my xbox at all and in the middle of playing evil dead it freezes. I try turing it on and it says it needs service and theres a 05 error message. I checked and that means my HD is unlocked. So Iam trying to fix this without any mods. If you guys would stop going off topic and maybe helping me that would be good.

As we have stated there is no way to fix this unless you send it into microsoft. They use a special hardware device that codes the Harddrive to work properly in your system. Sounds like your kernel is corrupted. Replacing it with another HD wont work. If you have already opened your xbox your pretty much SOL because that automaticaly voids the warranty. If you have run out of options go buy a new xbox for $179 .

zeve
08-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by ChaoticMage

If you have run out of options go buy a new xbox for $179 .

I see that as

If you have run out of options go buy a new PS2 for $179 .

Chaotic
08-29-2003, 01:05 PM

I see that as

If you have run out of options go buy a new PS2 for $179 .

If you want a subpar system for $179 go for it :cool: I would rather buy another xbox for the same price that is 10x's more powerful and has some incrediable games out now and coming out by christmas time :cheers:

Liquid Oxygen
08-29-2003, 03:22 PM
As a reminder to everyone, we DO NOT allow discussion of mod chips, not matter what the context is. Microsoft and other developement companies don't like them so neither do we. End of discussion. Trying to argue with us about what we do and do not allowed is a sure way to get banned, as liquid oxygen just found out. Thank you for your cooperation,

Nick-XBA

Kraft
08-29-2003, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Oxygen
HD Error #5 means your hard drive is not locked! Get a god foresaken modchip for 30 bucks, use Config Magic to lock it and your done!

And what the hell are you guys talking about being scared to open your xbox while its working???? As long as you dont touch the power supply you are fine. I was holding my hard drive in my hand while the xbox was turned on and fiddling inside of it.

Stop giving this guy nonsense ideas, if you have nothing that can help him out then dont say it at all!

You are so banned! Obviously 3 warnings and a barrage of PMs telling you NOT to post about mod chips didn't quite get through that skull of yours. Have fun posting elsewhere.

Reclaimer
08-29-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Nick-XBA

You are so banned! Obviously 3 warnings and a barrage of PMs telling you NOT to post about mod chips didn't quite get through that skull of yours. Have fun posting elsewhere.

And to think that I wasted my time to send him a nice pm and try to rationalize with him. I'm serious. I locked that one thread, and I sent him a pm about why and how to avoid future issues.

Guess you can't reach everyone.

Holt88
08-29-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Jerred B

Yeah, um, those "Towers" are called Capacitors. And by the looks of the size of the Xbox, they can't be very large. One the size of your fist coluldn't kill you. It would HURT, but it wouldn't kill you, because it only holds a short BURST or electrivity, good for things like sub-woofers in stereos where you may need a quick burst of electricity, and that's usually where the BIG ones are. Trust me, I am in my fourth year of electronics. BTW, no, unless you do something illegal to your 'box, which, like duke, i wont mention, you cannot swap the hard drives. Well, at least you know now that the Xbox won't kill you... Uless it falls on you or something...

Yes it can kill you. One touch and all that electricy is dumped in 1 shot. I know what I'm talking about. I've been in Electricy/Electronics longer then you.

Look here. http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/crack_open_that_xbox.htm

Be careful in there there is an exposed power supply with some big cans on it, they can hold electricity for years and are designed to dump completely in one shot. That means one big shock, death, paralysis, discomfort, constipation etc, proceed at your own risk.

Some will just stick their hands in there and touch it without knowing.:rolleyes:

wbio
08-30-2003, 10:55 AM
yea, like other people said, it won't work, your HDD has a special code on it and the Xbox looks for that and if it can't find the right one, it won't work. There are ways to get around this, but I don't think that can be discussed here. Try asking over at http://www.xbox-scene.com and someone will probably tell you what to do.