PDA

View Full Version : Can't open the damn box

billp
08-30-2003, 01:13 PM
My system took a hit on an overseas trip. Now its dead. I can fix it if I can open the dawn box. I removed the four lower screws but still can't open the dawn box.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

l Maximus l
08-30-2003, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't touch it. Just bring it back to your local Walmart and say that you recently bought it and it crapped out on you...exchange it for a new one and call it good :D

Kraft
08-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Seriously, unless you know enough about electronics that you can repair circuit boards and such, there really is no point in opening it. Everything in there is crammed so tight that there is no chance of something simple happening like a cable coming unplugged, plus it has an exposed power supply so you are putting yourself at risk of a sever electric shock.

If you are still dead set on doing this, refer to other websites that have plenty of information on dissecting your xbox.

brad111
08-30-2003, 02:37 PM
Hey the last screw is under the warranty stickers
push the stickers with ur thumb until u fell and can probaly see where the screws are underneath. Then u get a hairblowerdryer heat up the stickers and peal them off to not void the warranty and unscrew the screws (two of them 1 under two of the stickers, the one with the barcode and the one that says xbox video game system) After this ur case should come easily apart. Inside there are a few more screws holding in dvd rom and harddrive, take those out to get to the motherboard. During this the power should be off, but if it is on it really makes little difference. Just don't lick any of the circuits while the xbox is on. Thats about it Have fun fixing it.
P.S. I think that that admins know little about xbox and should learn more about it. There advice would help very little if the warranty was void.
GOOD LUCK

DocHoliday78
08-30-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by brad111

P.S. I think that that admins know little about xbox and should learn more about it. There advice would help very little if the warranty was void.
GOOD LUCK
Geeez this guy has one post and he is already starting ish with the mods. ****** where is DZ to set this man straight?

Highlite23
08-30-2003, 03:05 PM

OK Doky smarty pants, here's the dilio.................We feel we should instruct our friend here with asimple solution to his problem. Being that 99% of Walmarts will indeed replace an XBOX with a like item if it "HASN'T BEEN TAMPERED WITH" the advice given was acurate.

Our "site" doesn't support, or allow discusions that imply altering the original state of the system. We are MS friendly and don't really want to jeoperdize that relationship.

Now as to us folks knowing a little about our beloved system...........:rolleyes: I would rethink that comment:rofl:

billp, good luck on whatever you decide to do.;)

brad111
08-30-2003, 03:08 PM
uhhh u stupid admin...he asked the question. HOW DO I OPEN MY XBOX. He obviously knows that he can return it. If u knew anything about xbox u could answer that simple question..but nooo it was too dificult for you. So shut up about ur policy and just admint u have no clue.

Papke
08-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Uh oh....

Nosferatu187
08-30-2003, 03:20 PM
uhhh u stupid admin...he asked the question. HOW DO I OPEN MY XBOX. He obviously knows that he can return it. If u knew anything about xbox u could answer that simple question..but nooo it was too dificult for you. So shut up about ur policy and just admint u have no clue.

this guys a real winner aint he guys lol **** man this is why parents shouldnt give kids the internet:p

Highlite23
08-30-2003, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Papke
Uh oh....

:watchout: :watchout: :watchout: :watchout: :watchout:

Kraft
08-30-2003, 04:03 PM

Wow... I read this and all I saw was you typing 'ban me! ban me! ban me!' over and over again! Trust me, most of the mods here have been around the xbox scene longer than you and probably know a lot more about it that you do. Of course, forum policies take precedence, and even though we know where the other screws are, we are obliged to give the advice to take it back to walmart (after all, it is the best advice). So knock of your whining about the mods and just admit that you need to learn to spell better and quit complaining so much.

DocHoliday78
08-30-2003, 04:16 PM
Oh god i am getting Dream flashbacks ( andi never got that game from him that *******).

Holt88
08-30-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Nick-XBA
Seriously, unless you know enough about electronics that you can repair circuit boards and such, there really is no point in opening it. Everything in there is crammed so tight that there is no chance of something simple happening like a cable coming unplugged, plus it has an exposed power supply so you are putting yourself at risk of a sever electric shock.

If you are still dead set on doing this, refer to other websites that have plenty of information on dissecting your xbox.

Which I have said many times they could get killed touching it. Oh well, let them touch it, just trying to warn them.

Holt88
08-30-2003, 07:44 PM
You're better off not opening it. There's a reason why it's hard to take off and there's stickers on the bottom. You're lible to do more damage to it then there already is be messing around with it if you happen to get it open.

The Jackal
08-30-2003, 07:49 PM
:rofl: stupid noobs... always good to join a site and bash the mods who run it :rofl:... and on top of it say they dont know much about the Xbox and should learn more because they suggest a different solution... how bout you dont know sh*t about the Xbox and shouldnt be tryin to fix it considering you arnt even smart enough TO OPEN IT YOURSELF :D

Shadow20002
08-30-2003, 07:55 PM
Well, something going on the wrong side here but stop bring it to the maximum level maybe it's more better stop discussing (or should i say cussing). Anyway, the best way like almost everyone telling is bring it back to the place you buy it to exchange another one. If you have void the warranty of the box, well haven't many choice here, you must find a electronic place to fix it by the hands of technician.

CMX Jedi
08-30-2003, 09:21 PM
....shoot the thing

.:*Ō*:.
08-30-2003, 09:29 PM
WOW you people are dumb as hell.

HAHA try pulling to lil black cord out of the back.
you know the one you plug into your wall?

Kraft
08-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by .:*Ō*:.
WOW you people are dumb as hell.

HAHA try pulling to lil black cord out of the back.
you know the one you plug into your wall?

Wow, the person calling people dumb as hell is dumb as hell. You ever heard of a capacitor buddy? What is incredibly funny is this has already been mentioned this thread. Did you know that a tv contains enough voltage to kill you a year after its last use? Same thing for the xbox. It stores electricity, and if you accidentally bridge a bipolar connection with your body, you are suddenly the human equivalent of an electrical wire.

08-30-2003, 09:49 PM
I bet you dont know y a TV ""contains voltage ""?

Do you know y a xbox has a capacitor?

its to keep the clock working and its like have 2 AA in there.
A XBOX IS NOT A TV.

Kraft
08-30-2003, 09:57 PM
I bet you dont know y a TV ""contains voltage ""?

Do you know y a xbox has a capacitor?

its to keep the clock working and its like have 2 AA in there.
A XBOX IS NOT A TV.

Dear lord. You looked in an xbox lately? You notice those odd looking cylinder things that stand up on end? Those are known as 'capacitors'. Capacitors work just like batteries, they are made to contain energy. Of course there is one big difference between capacitors and batteries.

What is the difference you ask? Well batteries are meant to slowly leak out their energy. This means their voltage is exponentially higher than their amperage. Of course the capacitor is completely the opposite, it releases all its' charge at once, meaning very high amperage and small voltage.

As you obviously don't know the difference between amperage and voltage (since you said a tv 'stored voltage' which is incorrect) just realize that amperage is way more dangerous than voltage. A person can live through getting struck by a 100,000 volt lightning strike, but can be killed by a 2 amp car battery.

The point? Those capacitors are hella dangerous. Next time learn about something before you start making claims that others don't know about it. Rampant flaming won't be tolerated, especially when all you are doing is making a fool of yourself.

08-30-2003, 10:30 PM
Dear lord. You looked in an xbox lately? You notice those odd looking cylinder things that stand up on end? Those are known as 'capacitors'. Capacitors work just like batteries, they are made to contain energy. Of course there is one big difference between capacitors and batteries.
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/63184/0.jpg

What is the difference you ask? Well batteries are meant to slowly leak out their energy. This means their voltage is exponentially higher than their amperage. Of course the capacitor is completely the opposite, it releases all its' charge at once, meaning very high amperage and small voltage.
HAHA your funny.

As you obviously don't know the difference between amperage and voltage (since you said a tv 'stored voltage' which is incorrect) just realize that amperage is way more dangerous than voltage. A person can live through getting struck by a 100,000 volt lightning strike, but can be killed by a 2 amp car battery.
You do know that car batterys are DC right?
i did not hear of anyone dieing by one...

The point? Those capacitors are hella dangerous. Next time learn about something before you start making claims that others don't know about it. Rampant flaming won't be tolerated, especially when all you are doing is making a fool of yourself.
[I'm warning you to not mention anything to do with modchips. Not really necessary since you'll be banned promptly.]

Frink
08-30-2003, 10:34 PM

http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/63184/0.jpg

HAHA your funny.

You do know that car batterys are DC right?
i did not hear of anyone dieing by one...

You know, I would ban you right now but I think I'll let Kraft do the honors.

08-30-2003, 10:38 PM
LMFAO:p pooned

DocHoliday78
08-30-2003, 10:39 PM
What about casper or reclaimer. They need to get their first ban in. :cheers:

08-30-2003, 10:43 PM
[I'm warning you to not mention anything to do with modchips. Not really necessary since you'll be banned promptly.]

you know that xbox ***chips are legal in all ways:cheers: ?

Kraft
08-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Oh my god. Well luckily for you, ignorance isn't a crime, though this is a good case for it to be outlawed. Hope you enjoyed your 5 posts here.

Anyways, just to let everyone know, The Xbox, just like a car battery, runs on DC current. Yes, powerlines transmit power in an AC current, but the power supply inside of your xbox converts it to DC, as AC is useless in running electronic circuitry. (actually, the capacitors are what aid in the effort to convert ac to dc). Shame ace won't be around to learn this.

X-Fan
08-31-2003, 12:09 AM
two words ban them.
ok three words ban them now!!!!!!
aight
ban those idiots right now plz.

Ugunnalose
08-31-2003, 12:14 AM
if he wants his box open why doesnt he call xbox tech support?

blackdeath
08-31-2003, 12:17 AM
an xbox is nothing more than a computer so if you are ok w/ opening up a case on your computer, you're ok w/ working on an xbox. however, since you can't easily get parts for an xbox, i wouldn't recommend screwing around w/ it. i can't remember what the original post here was?? something about his xbox won't work and he wants to fix it himself?? if the guy wants to screw around for a few hours and break the thing even more then let em. he should just take it back to any store that sells xbox's though and exchange it since MS is really good about RMA'ing xbox's for retailers.

Kraft
08-31-2003, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by blackdeath
an xbox is nothing more than a computer so if you are ok w/ opening up a case on your computer, you're ok w/ working on an xbox. however, since you can't easily get parts for an xbox, i wouldn't recommend screwing around w/ it. i can't remember what the original post here was?? something about his xbox won't work and he wants to fix it himself?? if the guy wants to screw around for a few hours and break the thing even more then let em. he should just take it back to any store that sells xbox's though and exchange it since MS is really good about RMA'ing xbox's for retailers.

Good analogy, except there is one huge difference... THERE IS NO SAFTEY COVER ON THE POWER SUPPLY OF AN XBOX!!!! That means if you are careless while taking out the hd bracket you could land yourself in a hospital.

Snake Eyez
08-31-2003, 01:35 AM
Wow, did this thread bring out some pain in the ass noobs.

PsiDOC
08-31-2003, 03:52 AM
Look guys, you can flame all you like...
If the guy wants to open his box and have a look see, fully knowing he invaildates the warranty who are we to tell him different???

The man (billp) asked a question, has anyone answered it fully yet?? I think not...

BillP if you go HERE (http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open2.php) I think you'l find all the information you need.

Let us know if you find the problem.

On the subject of the powersupply not being sheilded, this is correct, however so long as the mains cord is disconnected and you don't go trying to short out the the 2 main reservior capacitors (The BIG BLACK ONES ON THE PSU BOARD) by putting 2 wet fingers directly across the Cap connections on the UNDERSIDE of the powersupply you'll be fine - because the connections are on the underside of the PSU board this only applies if you have to remove it for test / replacement.
Everything else apart from these 2 Res Caps is totally devoid of voltage and therefore current.
To sum up. Keep the mains cord disconnected and be careful if you need to remove the PSU. That's it.
Regards,
Psi

FuNkY mOnK
08-31-2003, 07:30 AM
How did .:*Ō*:. get the little halo over the {A}in his name ? Now we'll never know :cry:

Casper
08-31-2003, 11:35 AM
Hopefully this shows everyone a good lesson on why not to be cheap and to always buy a warranty.

And why is it that the main topic of this week has become hacking your Xbpx....that's not what this site is for.

X-Fan
08-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
Hopefully this shows everyone a good lesson on why not to be cheap and to always buy a warranty.

And why is it that the main topic of this week has become hacking your Xbpx....that's not what this site is for. \
did u ban them yet?

The Jackal
08-31-2003, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by FuNkY mOnK
How did .:*Ō*:. get the little halo over the {A}in his name ? Now we'll never know :cry:

you just go to the "character map" in your computer and you can have a buncha letters that are altered... ie. À Á Â Ã Ä Å
and a comment to Kraft showin the noobs where its at... BAAAAM!! :D

Ō_2
08-31-2003, 11:28 PM
I was just going to let this settle put no you have to say stuff AFTER ya ban me.

(btw your sites java script has a hole in it.:p)

How did .:*Ō*:. get the little halo over the {A}in his name ? Now we'll never know
Just hold "Alt" and press 0197 and let go.

You should not get your balls in a twist becouse i disagree on what you say...

I'm just going to leave you guys to your lil world.

Highlite23
08-31-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by PsiDOC
Look guys, you can flame all you like...
If the guy wants to open his box and have a look see, fully knowing he invaildates the warranty who are we to tell him different???

The man (billp) asked a question, has anyone answered it fully yet?? I think not...

BillP if you go HERE (http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/open2.php) I think you'l find all the information you need.

Let us know if you find the problem.

On the subject of the powersupply not being sheilded, this is correct, however so long as the mains cord is disconnected and you don't go trying to short out the the 2 main reservior capacitors (The BIG BLACK ONES ON THE PSU BOARD) by putting 2 wet fingers directly across the Cap connections on the UNDERSIDE of the powersupply you'll be fine - because the connections are on the underside of the PSU board this only applies if you have to remove it for test / replacement.
Everything else apart from these 2 Res Caps is totally devoid of voltage and therefore current.
To sum up. Keep the mains cord disconnected and be careful if you need to remove the PSU. That's it.
Regards,
Psi

The problem wasn't the question, the problem wasn't the answer, the problem was brad111 being rude, and insulting members of the staff for no damn good reason.

Highlite23
08-31-2003, 11:36 PM
Oh, and ACE....................Dissagreeing with someone is one thing, this is another>>>

Ō_2
08-31-2003, 11:49 PM
If i remember right i did not say that....someone with the 111 on the end of there name did.

now this is turning into blame game, he said she said.
EVERYONE hade a part in it.

and i have no idea y the **** i'm here...

DocHoliday78
09-01-2003, 05:26 AM
Damn this man just does not quit. Just wondering how much is the warranty total?

PsiDOC
09-01-2003, 05:51 AM
highlite23-XBA

I think you missed my point. The man asked a question. The direct answer didn't come.
All he got was a "crooked" answer to take it to a local Walmart? Maybe he's not that dishonest and wants to have a go @ fixing it himself.

As far as Brad is concerned the way he did his reply was rude, I will agree with you there. Slating mods is never a good thing to do even if they are wrong, or refuse to give the information directly.

However I will say this. Being a mod is not something to be taken lightly, and all actions on the forums, wether it be a simple reply to a post, a deletion, or a ban should be thought through and then acted on in a responsible and adult manner.
This stops the forum coming into disrepute.

What I will ask is, was that the case here?

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.
Kind regards,
Psi

Casper
09-01-2003, 10:58 AM
The man asked a question. The direct answer didn't come.
All he got was a "crooked" answer to take it to a local Walmart? Maybe he's not that dishonest and wants to have a go @ fixing it himself.

Like I already said, this site is not for fixing your broken Xbox. He was given the option also to contact MS and call 800-4MY-XBOX. As far as anything else goes beyond that, or returning it with a swap, we can not give that information on there. It has been clearly stated a few times in here, and many in other closed threads in the last few days. If you want to find that information out, go google it or something, but you won't be able to find it here.

I'll let Highlite respond and then I'd imagine this thread will be closed as nothing else can be done.

Prankster101
09-01-2003, 11:16 AM
lol billp started the thread but never made one post but the
first

:wink:

Highlite23
09-01-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Ō_2
If i remember right i did not say that....someone with the 111 on the end of there name did.

now this is turning into blame game, he said she said.
EVERYONE hade a part in it.

and i have no idea y the **** i'm here...

Ace i wasn't blaming you, I was showing you what was said, thats not a dissagrement, thats just being rude. Sometimes we don't read entire threads before posting, so i wanted to show you what was said.

My appologies if you felt it was aimed at you.

Kortiz
09-01-2003, 11:25 AM
i really dont understand why this thread is still open?

Highlite23
09-01-2003, 11:31 AM
highlite23-XBA

I think you missed my point. The man asked a question. The direct answer didn't come.

As far as Brad is concerned the way he did his reply was rude, I will agree with you there. Slating mods is never a good thing to do even if they are wrong, or refuse to give the information directly.

However I will say this. Being a mod is not something to be taken lightly, and all actions on the forums, wether it be a simple reply to a post, a deletion, or a ban should be thought through and then acted on in a responsible and adult manner.
This stops the forum coming into disrepute.

What I will ask is, was that the case here?

Assuring you of my best attention at all times.
Kind regards,
Psi

Hey Psi, see what you just wrote? Thats how you cary on a conversation. Your new, you came in , read the thread, formed an intelegent response and posted it.

I take being a mod very seriously as i'm sure my fellow staffers do. But, coming into a new place, guns-a-blazin, insulting people you have never talked to or gotten to know is a little out of line. We try very hard not to let this site turn into a "Boys Club"

We have rules, and reasons for those rules. We also have relationships with manufacturers, publishers, and developers that we don;t want to jeapordize by making one stupid comment.

Finally, we don't go around banning people just because of something like this. We have a "3 Strike" policy, and as of this moment, brad111 was not banned, he was warned, and we explained why we felt the way we did, and Issued him his 1st strike. Thats it. No ganging up on him, no knee jerk reaction, we followed our rules.

The site is for enjoyment, converstion, and information. We strive to keep it that way so no one ever feels like they don;t belong.

By the way, Welcome to the site.;)

billp
09-01-2003, 06:36 PM
OK, so I opened the darn box - thanks for your help. Now i tried swapping my old hard disk into a new machine, but the new system won't work. Do you know if I can swap hard disks? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

wbio
09-01-2003, 06:45 PM
no, there is a special id on every hdd for the xbox, and the xbox looks for that id, and if it can't find it, it won't work. There was a thread about this, let me find it...

EDIT: http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40336

How come there seems to be so many people acting so ignorant lately. People will argue with the mods, not listen to warnings, and then get banned, how stupid can people get?

Casper
09-01-2003, 07:37 PM
billp's question can be brought onto another site, but not here. We've said it numerous times in this thread and the only way that an answer that is going to come out of this is one relating to modding.

Thread closed.