PDA

View Full Version : Different Xbox drives...(samsung, thompson, phillips...etc)

El Latino Mafioso
09-01-2003, 01:31 PM
Hey wazap, I got a new xbox and I think it has the samsung drive(best), cuz it even reads cdrs, but do guys know where I can get or have a picture of all the different drives. The thompson drive is said to be giving Dirty Disc errors so, I just wanna know exactly which drive I have./l8ter

BionicSniper
09-01-2003, 01:39 PM
ya i just got a new xbox too (saturday the 30th) and i too want to know what drive i have but i don't want to open it.

LynxFX
09-01-2003, 03:23 PM
There used to be a site that showed the differences as you could tell just by looking at the style of the tray. A google seach would probably find it.

As for Thompson having DDE, I don't think so. I have an xbox from launch and it has the thompson drive and I have never gotten a DDE. Doesn't read cd-rs though which is a pain.

Casper
09-01-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
As for Thompson having DDE, I don't think so. I have an xbox from launch and it has the thompson drive and I have never gotten a DDE. Doesn't read cd-rs though which is a pain.

I've had a few DDE's with the launch drive.

The difference that I notice is that the original's (Thompson) was a tad bigger, meaing the disks didn't fit in as snug as the newer drives do when placing the disks in the tray. That was the only one that I have noticed, but I know there are other difference, maybe the way that the laser is setup.

X-Fan
09-01-2003, 10:53 PM
If you have a Phillips or a Samsung drive in your XBox then you will probably be able to play CD-R's (aren't you the lucky ones!) If you want to know if you have a Philips DVD-Drive in your XBox then have a look at the hole in the DVD-Drive drawer tray: the Philips drive has a bigger opening in the middle of the tray, with the opening cut-out in the shape of an inverted light bulb. The Thomson drive has an opening in the middle of the tray in the shape of a long "U". The Samsung drive has 3 holes, one long one in the middle, and 2 circles on the sides.

that paragraph is from another site and i cant post the link as it is not appropriate to post.