PDA

View Full Version : anyone hear about gta3 coming off the shelves

gtaplayer
12-18-2001, 03:19 PM
hey did anyone hear in the news about grand theft auto 3 coming out the videogame shelves....i didnt see anything about it...but all my friends say its coming out next month....so what does that mean...it means us xboxers wont be getting a taste of what gamespot calls the best and the worse game out now...Grand Theft Auto 3....some one please give me some info that gta3 will be release for the xbox!!!!!

redrum237
12-18-2001, 03:25 PM
That would really suck if we didnt get GTA3, but i havent herad anything about it. If it is true i can always play it at my friends house:D

Gdiguy
12-18-2001, 04:18 PM
it is coming off the shelves... in australia! ahhhhhh! :) Yeah, they banned it there a week or so ago (for ps2 - you can't ban an xbox version if it's not out yet)... rockstar is however trying to remake it to allow it to be sold there anyway (not exactly sure how you could do this - walk up to the car and ask nicely for the person to get out? maybe prevent you from being able to run over &/or kill people, i guess)

in the us, no... people are trying to get video game retailers to be more vigilant in abiding the rating system, which means you'd have to be over 18 to purchase it (or 17, forget how the game one works), but it's not going away...

Supperdog
12-18-2001, 07:32 PM
i heard something about an ingame mission being to hijack a helicopter and fly it into something. Why they'd ban a game like this in Australia and not here in the USA is beyond me!

Rochey69r
12-18-2001, 10:34 PM
in australia gta3 has been taken off the shelves.

Gdiguy
12-18-2001, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Supperdog
i heard something about an ingame mission being to hijack a helicopter and fly it into something. Why they'd ban a game like this in Australia and not here in the USA is beyond me!

why would they ban it in the USA? what's the legal reason for doing so? claiming that the mission is going to cause someone to crash a helicopter into a building? Some companies have edited games, but they did so because they felt it didn't really make any significant contribution to the game... in gta, it's a little bit more in line with the rest of the game...

australia has a lot stricter policies on video game violence... they banned gta2 for the pc, if memory serves correctly (either that or gta1, or carmageddon, one of those), and they've done the same to a number of other games...

Hugh_Jass
12-19-2001, 07:22 AM
There may not be a legal reason forcing anybody to pull games off the shelf. It's not illegal to do so, either.

Rancey
12-19-2001, 07:37 AM
In Australia ratings for games only go to MA15+, I've got no problem with giving it an R18+ except in Australia we don't have that for games so they refused to classify it, ah well I guess it is another import job if I can't get it from here.

Rochey69r
12-19-2001, 09:09 AM
ill be in that jas!

how much would that cost ya recon?

grandcrusader
12-19-2001, 10:55 AM
GTA3 has been pulled from the shelves in Australia and even Blockbuster cant rent it out. (I know because i just happen to work in one!)
Here is an Article i found that may help anyone wanting to find out about the saga of GTA3 in Australia.

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,3433768%5E15321%5E%5Enbv%5E15306,00.html

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 11:54 AM
I must admit, I think that is pretty ridiculous...And, for a while now, I didn't think that any game could be banned anywhere in the world if it's on the XBox...it has "Parental Controls" on it! Well, anyway, I think all of you great Austrialians should protest :D That's what us Americans do until we get our way :D

kirkyg
12-19-2001, 01:42 PM
well let me just say if they start banning games in the us then people are goign to uprise and im not kidding. There are enough gamers now to make a big statement. There is already a release date on GTA3 and it doesn't even have the Adult rating...it has M for mature which is like 16 and up i believe. There is no reason to believe tha ton feb. 5th you can't get you a copy of GTA3 and stay up all night :D

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by kirkyg
well let me just say if they start banning games in the us then people are goign to uprise and im not kidding. There are enough gamers now to make a big statement. There is already a release date on GTA3 and it doesn't even have the Adult rating...it has M for mature which is like 16 and up i believe. There is no reason to believe tha ton feb. 5th you can't get you a copy of GTA3 and stay up all night :D

kirkyg

Actually, dude, an "M" rating is for ages 17 and above...I figured you might want to know for sure. But, yeah, I agree, dude...if GTA3 was banned here in the United States, we would all be livid....and the wrath of American gamers would definately be felt!

lol...I haven't played this game yet (I know I know I know...get with it, Maximus)....but, I plan on picking up this mama jama when it comes out :D

Ninja Scroll
12-19-2001, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Actually, dude, an "M" rating is for ages 17 and above...I figured you might want to know for sure. But, yeah, I agree, dude...if GTA3 was banned here in the United States, we would all be livid....and the wrath of American gamers would definately be felt!

lol...I haven't played this game yet (I know I know I know...get with it, Maximus)....but, I plan on picking up this mama jama when it comes out :D

The real question Maxi-pad-imus, lolololol!!:D

When is this game coming to Xbox in the US or anywhere for Xbox ? And this game is not offical yet so dont give me that jibberish junior:p

Gdiguy
12-19-2001, 03:17 PM
eh, they wouldn't ban it in the us... i think the farthest they could go right now would be to start full enforcement of the age requirements to buy, and for that to happen to video games they'd have to do it for movies too, or else any effort seems stupid, and the entire entertainment industry is a little too much to take on, especially in a recession

Supperdog
12-19-2001, 03:21 PM
I don't think its a legal reason as much as it is a moral one. They just don't want to offend anyone after September 11th. But what I'm getting at here is that, while I certainly don't want the game to be banned, I don't see why Australia would have it banned and not i n the United States where the tragedy actually happened. Just a rhetorical question, mind you.

gtaplayer
12-19-2001, 03:22 PM
LOL...parental controls?!?! thats on the xbox?!?!...what a joke...thats just a waste of space for the xbox...its not like any parent that knows what there doing are gonna set the parental controls...i know my parents are gettin me xbox...but they wont even kno how to turn it on...i mean who is gonna put parental controls are a videogame system why is that feature in there??? for you to waste 50 dollars on a game or 15 on a movie...and not be able to watch it cuz its rated m or rated r??? whats up with that

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by gtaplayer
LOL...parental controls?!?! thats on the xbox?!?!...what a joke...thats just a waste of space for the xbox...its not like any parent that knows what there doing are gonna set the parental controls...i know my parents are gettin me xbox...but they wont even kno how to turn it on...i mean who is gonna put parental controls are a videogame system why is that feature in there??? for you to waste 50 dollars on a game or 15 on a movie...and not be able to watch it cuz its rated m or rated r??? whats up with that

Gtaplayer...just think about it for a sec, in regards to the parental controls. The fact that the XBox has parental controls is HUGE! This is a very good thing! Why? Well, it's not that I would use it, but, because the XBox is the only console that has them, game developers will not have limitations in making games, therefore, games like GTA3 will be even more crazy! Think of the possibilities! Makes you think a little, huh?

ChaZ
12-19-2001, 03:27 PM
I think I can tell you why those kind of stuff are banned in Australia.

It all started with a simple gun-banning policy. First, they started with registry of all guns. Then the anti-gunner decided to ban all gun, and with help of registry, all guns were taken away from law-abiding citizens of Australia. (Take note: Criminals don't register their guns)

Because of that, the violent crime rate skyrocketed. There were more home invasion, gang rapes, and property crimes.

Then what did Australian did? They banned: mace pepperspray, bullet-resistant vests, combat knives, handcuffs, etc. (I'm not kidding) Seem that the criminals became more bolder in executing their crimes against victims because they knew that they don't have guns to protect themselves, so criminals also used knives, batons, and other non-gun weapons to get what they want.

You see... they all started with blaming guns for crimes instead of criminals, then they blamed knives, pipes, etc. Now they want to ban GTA3 because they want to blame video games for crimes.

Don't believe me? It already has happened in England, South Africa, and many other countries that tried to ban guns. If you love video games, freedom of speech, then you better protect the right to own guns. Once you give that away, government will take control of everything.

-ChaZ

gtaplayer
12-19-2001, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Maximus

Gtaplayer...just think about it for a sec, in regards to the parental controls. The fact that the XBox has parental controls is HUGE! This is a very good thing! Why? Well, it's not that I would use it, but, because the XBox is the only console that has them, game developers will not have limitations in making games, therefore, games like GTA3 will be even more crazy! Think of the possibilities! Makes you think a little, huh?

so in other words all ur saying is that the parental controls is just a name that gives the xbox another reason 2 buy???

i mean come on thats like saying when u play music on the xbox theres a option 2 take out the curses...who will waste money on the cd if they dont want the whole thing 2 be played...(not really a good example..but u kno what i mean)

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by ChaZ

It all started with a simple gun-banning policy. First, they started with registry of all guns. Then the anti-gunner decided to ban all gun, and with help of registry, all guns were taken away from law-abiding citizens of Australia. (Take note: Criminals don't register their guns)

Because of that, the violent crime rate skyrocketed. There were more home invasion, gang rapes, and property crimes.

Then what did Australian did? They banned: mace pepperspray, bullet-resistant vests, combat knives, handcuffs, etc. (I'm not kidding) Seem that the criminals became more bolder in executing their crimes against victims because they knew that they don't have guns to protect themselves, so criminals also used knives, batons, and other non-gun weapons to get what they want.

You see... they all started with blaming guns for crimes instead of criminals, then they blamed knives, pipes, etc. Now they want to ban GTA3 because they want to blame video games for crimes.

Don't believe me? It already has happened in England, South Africa, and many other countries that tried to ban guns. If you love video games, freedom of speech, then you better protect the right to own guns. Once you give that away, government will take control of everything.

-ChaZ

I couldn't have stated it better myself. ChaZ, you rock, buddy :)

Seriously, if there is even one person against guns, they are insane. How man criminals does the average person know that actually purchases a gun and registers that gun? It's too bad that there are so many naive liberal idiots out there. People kill people...guns don't kill people......yes, there are accidents, but, there are also car accidents! lol....So, is taking cars away from people a good idea? Uh..no.

The only way to stop criminals before committing crimes is to make laws more stiff. If criminals have a harder penalty, crime will go down. In some countries, they actually cut a thief's hand off! Now, this may be drastic, but it works....but, I think a decade of extra jail time would suffice :D

kirkyg
12-19-2001, 04:02 PM
here's the concept...parental controls are used for parents that actually PLAY consoles younger parents obviously...and they buy games that are appropriate for them but not for their young kids. This being said it doesn't apply to many because gamers are still no more than 35 years of age...although i know LOTS of gamers in their 30's. More and more as time goes on this will be an issue. It will also as someone suggested give me reason for titles to add more gore and violence and add elements to gameplay that were otherwise not socially acceptable...for the shear fact that IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN JUST DISABLE IT FOR YOUR KIDS. :)...it really does make sense.

as for australia...no offense to you guys but banning stuff is not the way you should attempt to stop crime. Crime rates are lower in places where guns are more easily available. If a criminal is going to kill someone that criminal is going to have avenues to get the guns that civilians wont...so who's going to stop the crime from happening? to late when the cops get there.

has alot to do with why im a conservative on many policy issues.

kirkyg

Gdiguy
12-19-2001, 05:22 PM
Crime rates are lower in places where guns are more easily available.

that's absolutely untrue... rates of violent crime in japan, and large portions of europe, are much lower than in the us

XAddict
12-19-2001, 05:26 PM
YEah all i heard was that the Aussie's took Gta3 off there shelves. I dont know why they would ban it now and not right when it came out.

When does it come out on xbox

kirkyg
12-19-2001, 06:24 PM
japan is a whole nother issue. Japaneese culture is WAY different...if you so much as think about stealing and someone finds out
off goes your hand...noone would even consider stealing there LOL.

kirkyg

grandcrusader
12-20-2001, 09:50 AM
Just want to point out the only reason GTA3 is banned is because Australia doesn't have a classification higher than MA15+. Dont worry i am sure that an R rating will appear, just give it time.

As for ChaZs opinion

Crime has definately not sky rocketed that is utter crap. Here is an Article with some figures http://www.iansa.org/documents/research/2000/aussie_guns.htm

I think the point is crimes dont always involve real criminals, for example someone gets into a fight at a bar and gets beaten up, gets kicked out and comes back with a gun and shoots the person who beat him up. If he didnt have a gun then maybe he would have just went home and slept it off. But that just my opinion!!!:)

smack119
12-20-2001, 11:17 AM
or he might have just stabbed him.....? and if the other guy had a gun maybe he could have protected himself? just a thought.....

kirkyg
12-20-2001, 11:44 AM
rofl...gun = range...stab equal's NO range. End of conversation.

there is no substitute in a prosperous capitolistic freedom of speech type society like we have in the US than the freedom to protect yourself. I dont think a quick background check etc is bad for gun shows etc. But when you start banning guns your banning the right for individuals to protect themselves.

kirkyg

l Maximus l
12-20-2001, 11:52 AM
I don't know about you guys, but, I wouldn't mess with anyone that had a knife or a gun. I'd rather be alive so I can play my XBox :D

But, in regards to the Parental controls...this is a great feature. It's not that I WOULD use it, but I COULD. I don't go out and buy a Ferrari to go 180mph...I doubt I would ever go that fast...but, I could if I wanted to :D

But, the best thing about the Parental controls is that Game Developers will not have any limits with what they can produce in regards to future titles. They won't need to heed to restrictions and guidelines because all they have to say is "Your XBox has parental controls, therefore, if you don't want your child to play this game, all you have to do is set it so they won't be able to." This, therefore, doesn't restrict older players like myself that like to play games that are more realistic, for example.

It's not that a parent would buy their kids "M" rated games, but, they could prevent "M" rated games, for example, to be played on it let's say if a friend of a parent's child brings over a certain game title without their knowledge.

Do I think that most parents would use the parental controls? Probably not...and many of them are not aware of this ingenius option. But, they COULD if they simply acknowledged their child and what they were doing (which is a big problem these days...parents should be more involved with what their children are doing, in my opinion).

I'm 26 years old now...and I don't have any kids yet...my wife and I are still practicing at the moment :D Scrimaging, if you will :D

But, the key thing, here, is that, because of the Parental control function, game developers will have no limitations when creating game titles, therefore, giving us older "kids" what we want without there being any ethical or controversial issues. Think about all the exclusive titles that XBox will have because of this! I'd like to see Sony and Nintendo try and get around that! They can't...atleast, not yet :)

smack119
12-20-2001, 10:29 PM
rofl...gun = range...stab equal's NO range. End of conversation.

i think you got me wrong there.... im saying if he didnt have a gun...he could get a knife, its the same thing....just walk up to the guy and stab him when he isnt looking? its a little more work but it will do the same thing. if guns arent there criminals will find something else.

grandcrusader
12-21-2001, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by smack119

i think you got me wrong there.... im saying if he didnt have a gun...he could get a knife, its the same thing....just walk up to the guy and stab him when he isnt looking? its a little more work but it will do the same thing. if guns arent there criminals will find something else.

I think this gun subject is rather interesting and i agree with Maximas that i wouldnt mess with anyone that is armed with a gun or knife and would rather play an XBOX.
As to smack119 Guns equal a lot more power and killing potential than a knife, with a gun a person can go on a mass killing spree like Port Authur or what was the one in that American school? anyway the same people with knives i think would have been lucky to killed one or two people before they got their asses kicked!

kirkyg
12-21-2001, 11:15 AM
i know EXACTLY What you meant...but what are the chances of you catching someone like that off guard long enough to get all the way up to them behind their back AND stab then. Not likely at all.

kirkyg

kirkyg
12-21-2001, 11:16 AM
ironically i live like 15 minutes from port author in Beaumont, TX

kirkyg