PDA

View Full Version : worried about the lack of online games coming? I am

peyote
12-18-2001, 04:31 PM
What's the deal with this? I've done a search on future games here and it only shows 1. I know there's more, but there isn't much. I thought Microsoft was going to have a whole slew of internet ready games available. I know that's one of my main requirements when Microsoft's network is online. I've been a long-time PC online gamer and this is a must for most games. It adds a lot of value to the puchase of a game because it extends the length of time you'll play the game. I would think that developers would jump on board to have internet-ready games.

It seems like developers aren't too confident with the viability of xbox on the internet.

Any ideas or news on what's coming and maybe some dates would be appreciated. I know about project ego, but that's maybe one of 4 games I know of. Rayman Arena & Unreal Championship are some other ones.

Let me clarify this by saying that I'm not talking about system-link play. I don't think this is how they will enable internet play on xbox games. System-link can work now on the internet but it seems to have more packet-loss then what a true internet game would seem to have, IMHO.

Please list some games and dates and maybe why there's not tons of online games coming out in May, the same time Xbox's network goes online.

thx

monkeyman
12-18-2001, 04:41 PM
x-box didnt come out that long ago give it time games will come out

peyote
12-18-2001, 04:53 PM
i understand about giving it time. But when we know about games that will come out 6-8 months ahead of time or even a year and you don't see much in that time-span, that troubles me a little. It doesn't trouble me about the viability of X-box's success. I know it will win out, but to really have a successful x-box internet network launch, you gotta' have internet games to launch with it. Kind of like xbox launch titles. You think people would buy an x-box if it only had 4 games at launch time?

XAddict
12-18-2001, 05:37 PM
More games will come out with online playing capibilities. I think just not right now becuase xbox is being acused of a small computer so on and so fourth. I think that right now that are trying to focas on showing people that are about gaming, once thats cleared up im sure that more and more games that u can play online will come out

Markus_Kalarkus
12-18-2001, 05:39 PM
man ya gotta give the **** system time! like the ps2 had ****ty games to satrt but now look metal gear solid 2!

XAddict
12-18-2001, 05:45 PM
Yes you do need to give it time. Wow it makes me shudder at the thought. think halo was good wait year

robnyack
12-18-2001, 05:53 PM
before you know it, xbox is going to have a huge amount of games...and even better yet.....we still have only scratched the surface of what game developers can do with the xbox.

it's only gonna get better. kinda scary

LynxFX
12-18-2001, 06:04 PM
Funny thing is that the xbox right now officially has no online games yet we are playing 3 already,

Halo,
Nascar Heat 2002
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x

LynxFX
12-18-2001, 06:05 PM
Also I would rather have 3 or so really good online games instead of 50 crappy online games.

Give the developers time.

Wolf1171
12-18-2001, 06:08 PM
I think that most developers are waiting to see how well Microsoft gets the online community going.

And, if they see an chance to increase profit to add multiplay capability to there games, then you will start to see more online games then you can shake a stick at.

redrum237
12-18-2001, 06:09 PM
i was reading sme stuff at xbox.com and i think the offial numbrer of online games in development right now is 27 plus more games that havnt been announced:cool:

Wolf1171
12-18-2001, 06:12 PM
Online gaming is going to be a multibillion dollar industry and the game developers (for consoles) aren't making much of it. Mainly the PC side. Hopefully the XBOX changes that.

Supperdog
12-18-2001, 07:30 PM
to be honest with you, i was never really too excited about online consoles. if i want online multiplayer, i'll use my $3000 computer. i didnt just buy it for word processing you know :rolleyes:

AlBoogy
12-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Two words: Unreal Championship,,,, judging by the time i spent on it with the dc, i think this is all im going to need.

Mysterycheese
12-18-2001, 09:51 PM
If anyone has time and patience, checkout gamespy.com and download their software. They have a section on Xbox which currently has 3 games up. Halo with 175 players last time I checked, Tony Hawk with 1 player, and I'm not sure which racing game was the third, but I believe it was NASCAR Thunder. Good Luck!!I have found the download for gamespy on my comp and it is the attached file.

Sheep goto heaven goats goto hell

peyote
12-19-2001, 10:53 AM
redrum was the only one that kinda answered my question.

The rest say give it time. Duh! That's the patented xbox homer reply. Not to offend ne 1, but I'd like to get some answers not cheerleading.

Someone said to be patient and it'll be good in a year. How does that help the x-box in May?

Like I said earlier, I'm not worried I'm just curious. I want to be able to play some kick ass games online in May when they set the xbox network.

No one's given me a list of internet-ready games that will debut for this new network. This was one of the reason's they delayed the online network in the first place (to give developers time to get internet games out).

Just curious, I'd like to hear from people that can give a neutral position, not a sales pitch. That's just preaching to the choir. I'm an x-box fan, so save the preachin' for your mama, heh.:p

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 12:00 PM
Geez, dude...the XBox has only been on the market for just over one month. For more on-line games to come out takes a little time...in my opinion, the more time, the better that way they perfect the games before they launch them. I'm eagerly awaiting Unreal Championship, personally :)

LynxFX
12-19-2001, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by peyote
I'm not worried I'm just curious.

If you aren't worried then don't put that in the title of your thread.

No one's given me a list of internet-ready games that will debut for this new network.

Because there is no list. No one knows for sure until the games come out or an official press release stating the facts. Everything you get will be he said, she said until then.

Facts of right now, you have 3 games you can play online NOW, 5 months before May.

Patience is a virtue.

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx

If you aren't worried then don't put that in the title of your thread.

Because there is no list. No one knows for sure until the games come out or an official press release stating the facts. Everything you get will be he said, she said until then.

Facts of right now, you have 3 games you can play online NOW, 5 months before May.

Patience is a virtue.

Exactly...and just to think back for a moment...remember how we all were before November 15th before the XBox came out? (Personally, I haven't seen any of us change a bit, we are all still pumped up, and rightly so!!)...but, to keep that adrenaline going, imagine what Summer 2002 is going to be like when Microsoft gets us XBox hungry dudes all pumped up about on-line playing? Man, this is going to rock!!! I'm already pumped! If it were to happen next week, I wouldn't be nearly as pumped...but, Summer? D A M N!!! Something new and exciting to look forward to! I think they had this planned this way.........One thing I can tell you, living close to Microsoft headquarters...they are a very very very intelligent company....one thing is for sure, they know how to market :)

Lightwave Freak
12-19-2001, 01:12 PM
I thought i saw at least one or two games that were comming out that were massive multiplayer games... But u guys are saying that there are none?

LynxFX
12-19-2001, 02:46 PM
Nicely put Maximus.

It is like waiting for the next summer blockbuster. :)

Lightwave, which 'guys' are you talking about? As you know there are multiplayer games coming. :)

kirkyg
12-19-2001, 02:57 PM
First of all its OBVIOUS the xbox internet gaming will be a success. Within 2 days of the system launch people were playing using Gamespy's tunnel software. ps2? LOL people have to go buy an external usb ethernet adapter which is about 40 bucks and you can only play one game that has ethernet link capabilities that would be tony hawk 3. Again xbox was out for 2 days and people were already lpaying online...it shows that if you provide it people will play. Now that being said I DONT CARE TO PLAY FIRST PERSON SHOOTERS ON XBOX...come on guys those are computer games made for mouse+keyboard. XBOX controller does decent for fps's but its just never going to be the same. I bought xbox to play console games...and at the same time play those console type games online. I consider Tony hawk series and Grand theft auto series console type games that play well with controllers and not keyboards and mouses.

as for saying that people are cheerleaders for saying be patient...all things come to those who are patient. And thats stupid to expect everything to just be available all of a sudden it doesn't work that way.

kirkyg

peyote
12-20-2001, 10:37 AM
kirkyG & others,

someone please just tell me they have information that there will be launch titles for x-boxes internet launch in May. Just one will suffice. I didn't post this topic to feel warm fuzzies about my X-box. I have enough of that.

I just think it's odd with all the information about future games that are posted here and on IGN and other sites & only read about one game that will be internet ready.

Obviously, the X-box internet launch in May will have games. You can't have a launch like this without having games to play on it. This is why I'm trying to find out what might be out then.

I'd just like to see some information about this. Saying "give it time" obviously doesn't address the question. One answer could be that "they won't talk about the game list because of their competition."

I just need one response that can stick to my question so I can put this topic to rest. thanks

LynxFX
12-20-2001, 10:42 AM
You know there is more to this site than just the forum. Go to the main page, click on games and do a search of games coming in 3 to 6 months. There are plenty there that will have online gaming capability. Just take the time and look. Use the site. That is why it is here.

l Maximus l
12-20-2001, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by peyote
kirkyG & others,

someone please just tell me they have information that there will be launch titles for x-boxes internet launch in May. Just one will suffice. I didn't post this topic to feel warm fuzzies about my X-box. I have enough of that.

I just think it's odd with all the information about future games that are posted here and on IGN and other sites & only read about one game that will be internet ready.

Obviously, the X-box internet launch in May will have games. You can't have a launch like this without having games to play on it. This is why I'm trying to find out what might be out then.

I'd just like to see some information about this. Saying "give it time" obviously doesn't address the question. One answer could be that "they won't talk about the game list because of their competition."

I just need one response that can stick to my question so I can put this topic to rest. thanks

Peyote...I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft launched several exclusive on-line titles and announced that launch with just one week before they establish their on-line forum. This is how Microsoft markets their products and the reason why they are the most wealthy company in the world.

But, I know for a fact that Unreal Championship and Halo Multiplayer can be played on-line at that time. I think there are others...I just don't know about them enough to say for sure that they are on-line compatible. :) Expect another "feeling" that November 15th gave you and the rest of us coming this summer!! :D

Lightwave Freak
12-20-2001, 06:41 PM
never mind, sorry im obviously out of the loop here... ill shut up now and let someone else talk... :D

viperII
12-21-2001, 12:37 AM
I agree with your worry, peyote!

See my post -http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4152

One of the reasons I purchased XBOX was for its multi system cabability. I think the way online games are designed will get better as MS brings its internet gaming online. Whether its System Link, or online gaming it doesn't matter to me. If I can play someone on another console, it makes the game much better and worth more than the $50 you pay for it.