PDA

View Full Version : Would a progressive scan DVD player give me a better picture than XBOX for DVD's

bada_s
09-02-2003, 11:16 PM
I have a 55" HDTV Integrated Mitsubishi wide screen tv would a progressive scan DVD player give me a better picture when playing DVD's or am I being to critical? Don't get me wrong the picture is good but I was wondering could it be better?

I also have a 500W RCA surround sound system, the sound is great with the optical connection, but I think it could be better. Can anyone give me any ideas on some better speakers that I could hook up to my RCA receiver for better sound?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dre
09-02-2003, 11:28 PM
AS long as your tv supports progressive scan, then yes you will get crisper images with a progressive scan dvd player.

MerimacHamwich
09-03-2003, 12:03 AM
Does your RCA sound system support Dolby Digital 5.1 and/or DTS decoding? If it only has DOlby Pro Logic 2, that would be a reason why you aren't satisfied with the sound. The other reason would be the DVD's you are playing.

The XBox only supports 480i for DVD playback, so yes, a progressive scan DVD player would look MUCH better for DVD's. I know that with my HDTV 480p images have a huge improvement upon 480i. Just make sure you are connecting your DVD player to your TV with a set of component cables to ensure you are transmitting the 480p signal.

crappyguy
09-03-2003, 12:07 AM
I have a Mits 65" set and yes you do want to get a progressive scan DVD player. I have a Pioneer Elite that I really like, but any of the players that have a Faroudja chip in them will likely produce a nice picture.

The difference between progressive and non-progressive DVD players pictures (IMO) is huge. I for one won't ever go back to an interlaced image.

In short get a progressive scan DVD player.
Crappyguy
http://www.pbase.com/crappyguy/inbox

MerimacHamwich
09-03-2003, 12:23 AM
Very nice setup crappy guy.
:cheers:

bada_s
09-03-2003, 12:26 AM
I agree, VERY, VERY, NICE.

crappyguy
09-03-2003, 01:02 AM
Merimac, bada

Thank you for the great compliments. This system has taken quite a while to accumulate, and by no means is it done. I still have to buy 2 pairs of SS-150 surrounds from M&K, build two new subwoofers, and maybe add outboard bass management like the ICBM from Outlaw Audio.

It's always nice to hear well researched well informed audio/video answers in an XBOX forum. Sadly enough it seems that a lot of XBOX user have spread a lot of information that's just plain wrong (i.e. 720p is better than 1080i. DTS is always better that DD5.1. DLP, LCD, LCOS, Plasma are better display devices than CRT sets.) I have found that trying to dispel these rumors is quite a chore, and again it's great to see someone that knows what they're talking about.
Crappyguy
http://www.pbase.com/crappyguy/inbox

MerimacHamwich
09-03-2003, 01:19 AM
I think you might enjoy a long stay here then crappy. :)
One member you would really enjoy talking to is LynxFX-XBA. He is a huge Audio/Video-phile. He taught me everything I know.
:cheers:

By the way, you can put the URL to your website in your signature. On the top menu selection click user cp, then go to options and then input the url into the signature area. You can also hyperlink. Use this code to do so [url*=http://www.pbase.com/crappyguy/inbox]My site (or whatever text you want)[*/url]
Just take out the *'s.

-edit-
Infact, I am highly surprised LynxFX-XBA hasn't come in here yet.

LynxFX
09-03-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm here, I'm here. :)

I'll add my praises, nice setup crappyguy. http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif http://www.xboxaddict.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif
I run a DLP front projection system myself and couldn't be happier.

I agree with you on trying to reeducate those folks that have been given a lot of bad information in the past. Slowly but surely we are getting there. Between that and getting across the point that "Original Aspect Ratio" is good is a fulltime job.

And welcome to XBA! :cheers:

Spaztic
09-03-2003, 06:33 AM
did you guys know that the xbox dvd-rom actually supports progressive scan. For some reason it was turned off in in the os.....don't know why but there is a patch for us hardware hackers that can turn it on!

LynxFX
09-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Shaggy
did you guys know that the xbox dvd-rom actually supports progressive scan. For some reason it was turned off in in the os.....don't know why but there is a patch for us hardware hackers that can turn it on!
Of course, hence the reason why games are 480p as well as supporting higher res like 720p and 1080i.

But we won't talk about the hack for progressive dvd playback here.

MerimacHamwich
09-03-2003, 11:04 AM
Yeah, it is really unfortunate that they went and disabled it for DVD playback.

Spaztic
09-03-2003, 11:46 AM
yeah i must agree, it would have been a nice feature that they could have included but for some wierd reason did not.....

LynxFX
09-03-2003, 01:18 PM
At the time I believe it was removed due to license fees.

Now not allowing the dashboard to be progressive selectable is pure ignorance on Micrsoft's part. This has been a complaint from day one and they haven't listened yet.

l Maximus l
09-03-2003, 05:03 PM
Even if the XBox was in progressive scan for the DVD portion, I still don't think I would use it. My Progressive Scan Toshiba DVD player is amazing...besides, less wear and tear on the black and green beauty :D