PDA

View Full Version : buying an X-Box tonight ...

jello
09-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi.

I am making the jump from Computer gaming to Xbox only tonight. In about 2 hours I will be going out to buy my Xbox. My questions are as follows ..

What games do you all suggest would be good to start out with ?

Just how GOOD is XboxLive?

I'm a big time multiplayer gamer so i'm into all that sort of thing. I also will be buying ESPN's hockey which is coming out soon I think.

Thanks in advance, and be gentle :)

RudedogX
09-03-2003, 02:13 PM
Welcome to XBA. As for your games, it all depends on what you're interested in. Since you're talking multiplayer, would you want realistic (Ghost Recon:Island Thunder), or fast paced crazy cluster....s(RTCW). And yes, Live is definetly a lot better than playing on your own. If you want the single player experience though, if you are into RPGs, I highly recommend Knights of the Old Republic, or maybe an action RPG, I hear Otogi is a pretty kickass game for 40.

The Informer
09-03-2003, 02:17 PM
Try looking here:

Linkage (http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/items.asp?platid=13&start=H)

Knight
09-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Here's some you should get are:

Soul Calibur2
Halo
Star Wars: KOTOR
Dead or Alive3(you can get it for $20 now)
Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(you can find it for $25)

GENERAL TG ZEUS
09-03-2003, 02:19 PM
The first two games that I suggest for you to get is unreal Championship ( an online game ), and Halo ( , which is ofcourse the best game ever, and welcome to Xbox Live!:cheers

:hail: All hail HALO!!!

jello
09-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, I appreciate it. Needless to say i'm pretty psyched :)

KOTOR is something i'm really considering picking up first I heard amazing things about it but sometimes wonder if it's under the influence of the Hype Machine?

We'll see. Thanks again :)

Knight
09-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by GENERAL TG ZEUS
The first two games that I suggest for you to get is unreal Championship ( an online game ), and Halo ( , which is ofcourse the best game ever, and welcome to Xbox Live!:cheers

:hail: All hail HALO!!!

For $20 it's a good buy if your going to get XBL. Best Buy is selling it for $20.

RudedogX
09-03-2003, 02:26 PM
You'll find people hate it and love it, just like any game, but the game is truly all that and a bag of chips!:yikes: You won't regret spending your money on this game. It easily on par with some of the Final Fantasy games!

jello
09-03-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by rudedogX
You'll find people hate it and love it, just like any game, but the game is truly all that and a bag of chips!:yikes: You won't regret spending your money on this game. It easily on par with some of the Final Fantasy games!

Wow. If that's true then it will be something I pick up for sure. Good info there.

As far as Halo i've heard SO MUCH about it that it also seems like another "go get it first" game.

GENERAL TG ZEUS
09-03-2003, 02:39 PM
YOU DON'T HAVE HALO!!!:yikes:

Chaotic
09-03-2003, 02:41 PM
ESPN NHL HOCKEY Is going to be a great choice. This year they have totaly revamped the AI,Graphics,Arenas and have added ice spray and facial expression. This game was by far the best at E3.

Also like rude said for $40 i would highly recommend Otogi, this game does kick ass. ;)

jello
09-03-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by GENERAL TG ZEUS
YOU DON'T HAVE HALO!!!:yikes:

Lol not yet, give me a few hours ... :cool:

l Maximus l
09-03-2003, 03:32 PM
Jello...first and foremost, welcome to XBA, the best XBox fansite on the net :)

Next, congrats on your decision to finally get XBox. To clear a couple things up, first of all, Halo is the best damn game every created...period. Halo 2 will be arriving in all of our greedy hands in April 2004, approximately. That is the only game that has any potential to dethrone the greatest game ever made. You said you like multiplayer? Damn, Halo has it and does it the best...you'll see :D

Too bad Halo is not on XBox Live...simply because the game came out one year before XBox Live did...Halo 2, however, will be on XBox Live, without a doubt.

My favorite XBL game is Ghost Recon: Island Thunder.

BORNGD
09-03-2003, 03:52 PM
Get xbox live! you wont be sorry. RTCW is one of my all time favorite multiplayer games and xbox live is the perfect game for it! other games you should get??? what a long list......i would start with RTCW, ONLY if u get live though. Honestly, the one player missions are just ok

rough_rida
09-03-2003, 03:59 PM
If u dont get Halo ur not a true Xbox owner.:cheers:

l Maximus l
09-03-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by rough_rida
If u dont get Halo ur not a true Xbox owner.:cheers:

Those are some damn fine and wise words....

:D

shapoopy
09-03-2003, 04:23 PM
u should wait and tryxbl for 2 months free and get halo or sc2 sc and get max payne

KboT
09-03-2003, 06:46 PM
No Xbox Owner should be without Halo.

Arven
09-03-2003, 06:55 PM
Congratulations, welcome to the fold. You'll find a lot of PC-gamers are also Xbox owners. I'm not sure you'll be as impressed with Xbox Live as some people would have you believe. If you've done a lot of mulitplayer online gaming via the PC, Xbox Live may be rather routine for you -- it won't have the mods you're used to, or the selection of games, although it does have the voice communicator. I love Live myself, play it all the time -- love the cheat-free environment especially -- but I've heard disappointed remarks from several PC gamers who were old veterans at online gaming.

You're buying in at a great time. There is a healthy backload of great games (Halo, Kotor, and Morrowind would be my top 3 picks), and there is literally a dozen great games being released within the next six months. I'm sure you'll be pleased. :)

maximan00
09-03-2003, 08:07 PM
dont get kotor for your first and only game. Get something that has better replay value such as Midtown Madness or a sports title. KOTOR will be boring at first and may not give you the best "introduction" to the Xbox. I highly suggest getting Halo in the very near future.

Ford Mustang
09-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Those are some damn fine and wise words....

:D

AMEN. :D

ThaWatcher
09-04-2003, 09:01 AM
Halo is a pretty good game....but the best ever?...give me a break!! I guess it's the best if you like to sit around and mindlessly blow people up all day long....And to the above poster....a "real x-box owner" is anyone with $179.99 and a television set.....

CharlieHustle
09-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Get halo first. It lives up to its hype and its like 2 years old now and people are still playin it. If you are gettin live, you can choose RTCW, for a more fast paced game or Ghost recon: island thunder for a more realistic shooter. Both are fun, youll be happy with both. As fas as KOTOR, this game does live up to its hype, and its one of the better RPG's on any console this year. Its very fun and addictive, and i just finished the light side and it took me 43 hours. Now im goin to do the dark side. You chose a wonderful console and think about this, you dont have to buy a damn memory card, anymore.

ThaWatcher
09-04-2003, 09:29 AM
KOTOR requiers mucho patience.....I rented it and wanted to take it back after the 1st half hour....

wbio
09-04-2003, 03:14 PM
Live's great, and you have to get halo, If you are in to racing games, Midtown Madness 3 is great, I would list more, but I'm tired

jello
09-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Well i'm happy to report that getting an Xbox has been a GREAT decision so far!!! It's pretty amazing actually and i'm really having fun with it.

KOTOR is just, un-flippin-real. Seriously, great game. And of course I had to pick up Halo which is just SICK good.

Next up is Espn Hockey 2k4, which I *hope* is a good title.

Again thanks to everyone in the thread for the suggestions and welcomes, it helped alot.

Arven
09-05-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by jello
Well i'm happy to report that getting an Xbox has been a GREAT decision so far!!! It's pretty amazing actually and i'm really having fun with it.

KOTOR is just, un-flippin-real. Seriously, great game. And of course I had to pick up Halo which is just SICK good.

:) You have good taste, my man. Welcome.

Seawolf1
09-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Hey Jello,

I'm pretty new to the Xbox myself, just got setup with LIVE last night and played some Mech Warrior and ESPN Football online, Had a blast!
Trust me you made the right decision with getting a Xbox. I did my homework before buying and everyone kept telling me to get a PS2, but having compared the two systems I think they were on crack! Xbox is just awsome and if your a PC gamer like me you will be right at home with LIVE.

One thing you must do if you have a good digital home theatre system is get yourself a digital audio kit for your Xbox so you can hook it up to your digital input on your Home Theatre. Xbox has the best sound system available on any console and trust me it is AWSOME! Xbox has a 5.1ch dolby Digital decoder built in (PS2 has dolby surround, but no DTS decoder so it doesnt produce true digital suround) and with the Optical audio hookup your games will sound like your watching a DVD with bullets wizzing over your head, walls shaking when you blow something up. Its really awsome.

I still use my PC for Flight Sims and Shooters like Raven Shield, Americas Army, Operation Flashpoint, etc but the more I get used to the controls on the Xbox the more I start to play games like Ghost Recon, Max Payne, etc.