PDA

View Full Version : Three versions of Half-Life 2

Shadow20002
09-04-2003, 07:50 AM
Description
In a story that may bring some substance to rumours of a delay in H-L 2s release, an email by Gabe Newell, posted on the halflife.net forums, claims Valve is considering offering three different versions of H-L 2 to unsuspecting gamers all over the world. In a move which has created great confusion and generated vast amounts of rumours, the message by Valve's MD claims that the plan calls for three SKUs of the game starting with a discount single-player only, no MODs version, continuing with a version including multiplayer and MODs and climaxing with a collectors edition, promising the end-user things which no other gamer has ever seen.

According to the Eurogamer report Newell also announced a monthly subscription plan which will cost around USD 9.99 a month. Newell admits that some details with the publisher will definitely have to be ironed out but seems positive that Valve will go ahead with their plans. The full mail message reads as follows:

Here's my current thinking: Some people want to buy Half-Life 2 in a store. Right now we have three SKUs planned at three price points. One will have single-player only and not play MODs and we think of that as the mass market SKU (sold mainly at the Costcos and Walmarts of the world). The second is our traditional single-player plus multiplayer SKU that runs MODs and is sold at places like EBX. The third is the collector's edition SKU with lots of cool bonus stuff for people who like cool bonus stuff.

In the Steam world, some people will want to buy it once, like the middle SKU above. Other people will want to buy the game on subscription (e.g. USD 9.95/month). The good news for the "buy it once" crowd is, well, they only have to pay once. The bad news is that when we come out with new content (expansion products, TF 2, and presumably other games) then they have to pay separately for those. We're pretty sure that the USD 9.95 guys are going to get the better value, as we've been pretty good over the years at generating a lot of content.

Now nobody has done this before, so we're scratching our heads and massaging the plans to make sure we've got the best set of options. We've had some feedback that we should sell the top SKU (single-player only no MODs) on Steam, and my reaction has been "yeah, right, for the three people in the world who have a broadband connection, are sophisticated enough to purchase software over the Internet, but DON'T want to play MODs and multiplayer". Some people have said "I want a subscription, but I think the box and the manual are cool, so what about sending me those" and I think that's pretty interesting and we're trying to figure out what to do for them (needless to say Sierra isn't exactly jumping for joy at the idea of selling us boxes so people don't buy Half-Life 2 in stores).

But nowhere has there been a suggestion that people pay in the store and then pay a monthly fee on top of that a la the MMORPG.

Gabe

Later Newell also added a reply to convince users of the forums that the message was authentic. The whole story however, seems to indicate that Valve are completely ignoring Sierra and seem to be taunting them by bypassing them completely on all things H-L 2. Whether this is part of some weird and twisted hype-generating plan or just the usual story of the big guys fighting over the big cash the game is expected to bring-in, one thing is certain, this is a story worth following...

Source@ (http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/threeversionsofh-l2announced.shtml)

KboT
09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
That is total Bull. They are doing somthing like Doom is doing. The end of PC Gaming is coming to an End.

Styx
09-04-2003, 12:47 PM
ok so what is Doom doing. If you get HL for the XBox is it going to have all this to

mattgame
09-04-2003, 12:52 PM
And....... wake me when they are done, it seems like they are the only ones having fun.

Hugopolo
09-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Styx
ok so what is Doom doing. If you get HL for the XBox is it going to have all this to
No it wont im pretty sure theres going to be no mods for the xbox version since mods are made by gamers that know how to use the half life engine while the xbox is much more complicated it would cost money to make espeacialy if they tried making an online mod some real companies still dont put games on live because they say it takes to long

Brevity
09-04-2003, 02:45 PM
huph I like posted this in the PC area yesterday. I love it when I cna beat somebody to the punch. LOL But ya I talked to some friends about this last night,,,,the more I think about it the more I am certain I will be waiting for the XB version.

Hugopolo
09-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Brevity
huph I like posted this in the PC area yesterday. I love it when I cna beat somebody to the punch. LOL But ya I talked to some friends about this last night,,,,the more I think about it the more I am certain I will be waiting for the XB version.
If your gonna be like that than you can look at some cstrike post in the xbl area and youll see that i posted this before in there and that was about a month ago so ha i win:cheers:

Cryogenic Pyro
09-05-2003, 06:28 PM
Ok, I'm a bit slow at times. Was this for the PC version, or the Xbox version?(I'm thinking PC)
<rant>
If it was for the PC, this is total bullcrap, and they aren't going to make me pay money for an update for a game, or pay for mods in which Valve did not even make. Why can't Half-Life be how it used to be, and not with all this fancy, crap-a-licious stuff added? Who are they trying to impress? The congress? I have a hard time paying money for an MMORPG, so paying for something like this is ridiculous.

All my hopes and dreams have been shattered by Valve, I have no idea what they are doing, but they better have flashy lights and sounds, or I'm going to be ****ed. Nevermind, I already am. I must ask, have they been sleeping under a rock, or in a cave? To answer your question. Probably.

I could care less about Steam, I just want my Half-Life back to the simple old days when updates were free, and so were mods. This is the first time I have been this disappointed by a game, and will probably be the last, as Valve will notice their stupid ways after the game is sold. Well, unless they keep sleeping under that nice warm rock the whole time receiving paychecks of the monthly fees, and the one-time-payer(not so much anymore, huh?) paying again for updates and mods.

I was really had high hopes for this game. I really did. Now those hopes are like the Fox satellite, demolished and shattered. I'm not even going to pick up this game off the shelf for the single player version, when not so many days ago I couldn't wait to buy it.

This message has been brought to you by the fact that it seems a lot of companies are sleeping under rocks these days.

...Urge to kill... Rising...
</rant>

We really do need a <rant> tag, or [rant] or something.

Diddy
09-06-2003, 03:40 PM
Hahahahaha Pyro I feel you man, I really do. Its stupid that peopel can buy just the bare game and then pay 9.99 for the crap that comes with the stupid "Buy It Once" deal.

The whole thing really is stupid.

But if they HAD to go with the different bundle deal things, then at least Bundle the game with everything in the second deal.

God thats so ***, I swear they better not pull some kinda bull**** like this with Xbox.