PDA

View Full Version : My review on ESPN NFL Football



Holt88
09-06-2003, 01:35 PM
First off with the graphics I noticed they weren't up to par with NFL2K series on the Dreamcast. Helmets look weird and the bodys also, Madden has the best player models hands down. The linemen are skinny on NFL2K4, why is that? Fevers graphics are nice, but player models aren't Madden has the better out of the 3.

Now gameplay. It's not bad, but a little too fast and I don't like all of the animations, 1 hand catches I see alot and they don't drop them. Running game is great, so is passing. Don't like the way players run either, Madden comes away with this, more life like and more realistic but ESPN isn't far behind and gameplay is still fun. Defense is also nice, you can assign Champ Bailey to cover Randy Moss the whole game if you'd like, major points there for Sega. That's something Madden is missing, it only has CB swap but you have no idea where the WR's will be lining up. I also don't like the QB roll out, need to get rid of that, they zoom out of the pocket real fast and have enough time to stand there, not good, does get annoying.

In terms of control and the feel of the game, it's not bad but in Madden I feel as I have more control over everything that happens with "play maker" and using players skills like Urlachers 89 speed to my advantage changing the game because of that.

With presentation, ESPN is really nice but it's just a matter of time when it wears off, but it still is nice to view video clips from other games around the league and Chris Berman talking along with the full ESPN Sunday Night Football style. Really good, colorful and makes it much more exciting to play a game.


ESPN is a really good game, is it sim like? Yeah it is but not as close to Madden. ESPN has a little arcade in it. But it doesn't take away from it, just makes it exciting. Like I said the graphics aren't as good as they should be, me being a former Dreamcast owner and remembering the really wonderful graphics and textures of the 2k series, but with this, just doesn't stand out as much, but they are good enough to please people.

I'm a Madden fan and I rented this game and I say either Madden or ESPN is a good choice, you're not going to be disappointed getting either one. Madden is total sim, ESPN is sim with a little arcade. 2 new things for each game, Madden has owner mode and then the full ESPN style. Both are the total package I believe and owning both would make it all that much better.

They are a tie in my book. And are very hard to judge because they are 2 differnt games, way differnt. If you're not sure, rent both of them and see which one you like.

CarGuy
09-07-2003, 04:59 PM
The linemen are skinny?? WTF? :huh: http://web.espnvideogames.com/_img/nflimage012.jpg
You wont be writing for any gaming publications anytime soon.

NPYYZ
09-07-2003, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Holt88
First off with the graphics I noticed they weren't up to par with NFL2K series on the Dreamcast. Helmets look weird and the bodys also, Madden has the best player models hands down. The linemen are skinny on NFL2K4, why is that? Fevers graphics are nice, but player models aren't Madden has the better out of the 3.

Now gameplay. It's not bad, but a little too fast and I don't like all of the animations, 1 hand catches I see alot and they don't drop them. Running game is great, so is passing. Don't like the way players run either, Madden comes away with this, more life like and more realistic but ESPN isn't far behind and gameplay is still fun. Defense is also nice, you can assign Champ Bailey to cover Randy Moss the whole game if you'd like, major points there for Sega. That's something Madden is missing, it only has CB swap but you have no idea where the WR's will be lining up. I also don't like the QB roll out, need to get rid of that, they zoom out of the pocket real fast and have enough time to stand there, not good, does get annoying.

In terms of control and the feel of the game, it's not bad but in Madden I feel as I have more control over everything that happens with "play maker" and using players skills like Urlachers 89 speed to my advantage changing the game because of that.

With presentation, ESPN is really nice but it's just a matter of time when it wears off, but it still is nice to view video clips from other games around the league and Chris Berman talking along with the full ESPN Sunday Night Football style. Really good, colorful and makes it much more exciting to play a game.


ESPN is a really good game, is it sim like? Yeah it is but not as close to Madden. ESPN has a little arcade in it. But it doesn't take away from it, just makes it exciting. Like I said the graphics aren't as good as they should be, me being a former Dreamcast owner and remembering the really wonderful graphics and textures of the 2k series, but with this, just doesn't stand out as much, but they are good enough to please people.

I'm a Madden fan and I rented this game and I say either Madden or ESPN is a good choice, you're not going to be disappointed getting either one. Madden is total sim, ESPN is sim with a little arcade. 2 new things for each game, Madden has owner mode and then the full ESPN style. Both are the total package I believe and owning both would make it all that much better.

They are a tie in my book. And are very hard to judge because they are 2 differnt games, way differnt. If you're not sure, rent both of them and see which one you like.

You must be reviewing a dirrerent game then the one I got. ESPN Football 2K4 blows Madden 2004 away in every area.

If you think Madden is a realistic and fluid you are in fantasy land. Madden player movements would be very realistic if they had hockey sticks in their hands. It's like playing football on ice. Madden presents no challange when playing against the computer, even on the most difficult level. I have played the Madden series since it began, yes I have played Madden every year and it has not been a decent game since "99". I returned my copy of Madden 2004 after playing half a season, it got so mind numbingly boring I couldn't stand it. I'm sorry but Madden is total crap and has been since 2000.

With ESPN you need some real football knowledge or you will not be sucessfull at it. In plain English, you can't play ESPN the way you play Madden. In Madden you can complete a long bomb for a score on every play. ESPN is by far the best football game out now. The Graphics, presentation, gameplay are all very true to life, If you want real football , a game where you need to know how to read a defensive and offensive formation, where you need to use more then one play to score, where every thing about the game of real football is "IN THE GAME" you want ESPN FOOTBALL 2K4 . But if you want to be able to change the price of a friggin hotdog , by all means waste your $50.00 on Madden again this year.

ARONO129
09-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Holt88
First off with the graphics I noticed they weren't up to par with NFL2K series on the Dreamcast. Helmets look weird and the bodys also, Madden has the best player models hands down. The linemen are skinny on NFL2K4, why is that? Fevers graphics are nice, but player models aren't Madden has the better out of the 3.

Now gameplay. It's not bad, but a little too fast and I don't like all of the animations, 1 hand catches I see alot and they don't drop them. Running game is great, so is passing. Don't like the way players run either, Madden comes away with this, more life like and more realistic but ESPN isn't far behind and gameplay is still fun. Defense is also nice, you can assign Champ Bailey to cover Randy Moss the whole game if you'd like, major points there for Sega. That's something Madden is missing, it only has CB swap but you have no idea where the WR's will be lining up. I also don't like the QB roll out, need to get rid of that, they zoom out of the pocket real fast and have enough time to stand there, not good, does get annoying.

In terms of control and the feel of the game, it's not bad but in Madden I feel as I have more control over everything that happens with "play maker" and using players skills like Urlachers 89 speed to my advantage changing the game because of that.

With presentation, ESPN is really nice but it's just a matter of time when it wears off, but it still is nice to view video clips from other games around the league and Chris Berman talking along with the full ESPN Sunday Night Football style. Really good, colorful and makes it much more exciting to play a game.


ESPN is a really good game, is it sim like? Yeah it is but not as close to Madden. ESPN has a little arcade in it. But it doesn't take away from it, just makes it exciting. Like I said the graphics aren't as good as they should be, me being a former Dreamcast owner and remembering the really wonderful graphics and textures of the 2k series, but with this, just doesn't stand out as much, but they are good enough to please people.

I'm a Madden fan and I rented this game and I say either Madden or ESPN is a good choice, you're not going to be disappointed getting either one. Madden is total sim, ESPN is sim with a little arcade. 2 new things for each game, Madden has owner mode and then the full ESPN style. Both are the total package I believe and owning both would make it all that much better.

They are a tie in my book. And are very hard to judge because they are 2 differnt games, way differnt. If you're not sure, rent both of them and see which one you like.

I traded Madden 2004 and I'm still waiting for ESPN Football. The graphics in Madden are the same as in 2003. Most of the skin tones are off in Madden 2004. The doll eye effect that the players have doesn't help the graphics much nor does the graphics of the whispering referee.

The custom camera is great until you realize that you can't pull the camera back for a quick view of the formation like you can with all the other camera angles.

Now lets talk about the horrible playcalling\stats screen combined with the on-field camera. The playcalling\stats screen takes up 50% of the screen leaving a small window for the on-field action. What really makes this concept even more lousy is that 9 out of 10 replays are shown in that small screen. That leaves you with no sense of the action. Look at when a player runs the ball in for a TD. You can't even see the football in the replay.

IMO. Madden sucks. Skip it.

Seawolf1
09-08-2003, 02:49 AM
Sorry, but I rented Maddan for a week prior to getting ESPN 2K4 and the ESPN version is the best of the two games hands down IMO. I have not played this years version of fever so I cant comment on that one, but EA needs to step it up if they want to remain king of the Football genre next year. The only reason Maddan has the popularity it does is because EA is a marketing monster. There are freakin EA Maddan2004 banners and ads everywhere. Even ESPN has a EA Maddan sponsored NFL show on TV and ESPN has its own Football game now. LOL Now thats a marketing monster right there. lol
I hope the word spreads on ESPN and we start to see EA step it up and Sega continue to challenge them. It only makes things good for us in the long run. It means better games.

Holt88
09-08-2003, 04:26 PM
ESPN isn't even up to Maddens level. They don't even represent how the team plays. I know football and ESPN is mixed with arcade in it, so don't deny it. You're talking about Maddens graphics when ESPN is a downgrade from DREAMCAST.

The tackles aren't as good and in Madden you realize that the tackler is not always laying on the ground. Qb's are too fast. Nothing on ESPN even touches Owner mode.

Why did Madden 2004 get in the HOF? Because it's a great game and people love it, because it's "realistic". Don't give me any of the "Oh it's John Madden what do you expect". Sorry don't use any excuses.

Throw a long bomb on every play? Stop playing on rookie and adjust sliders, it's that easy or you just skip through everything.

Gameplay isn't up to Madden, it's that easy. You can run with Kurt Warner in ESPN but no in Madden. The graphics aren't better in ESPN then Madden.

You tell me why there was such a high demand for the game. Why break something apart that people like? ESPN has downgraded the game since Dreamcast.

More fluid in ESPN? Sorry the way they run and how things go at times, It sure isn't all that fun to watch. Too many people are stuck on the whole ESPN thing, and that'll die out in a week.

Where do you see cartoon eyes? http://pcmedia.ign.com/pc/image/madden2004_082003_010.jpg

You call ESPN graphics true to life? That's one of the funniest things I've heard.

What did they do just add in ESPN and crib mode and have the nerve to call it better? No way. And they said the first person mode was a Madden killer? Not really, because Madden had that before but never worked and doesn't work with ESPN either.

When you get outsold by a crap load, you have alot of explaining to do. But ESPN hasn't delivered yet.

Regardless of that, ESPN is jerky and it's easy to see that.

You say ESPN is true to life but you have to press the same button to fill up you're power for better moves while at the same time slows you down? Doesn't sound realistic to me.

CarGuy
09-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Sorry dude, your credibility was ruined when you said a bunch of lies and B.S. in your first post. Skinny linemen.. mmmmk..:rolleyes:

Holt88
09-08-2003, 09:51 PM
Really? http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/sports/nfl2k4/screens.html?page=95 Take a look, I'm not the one with the eye problems. That's Coleman who plays guard and weighs 322 lbs. Does he look big? No. Skinny lineman, get the player models right.

CrazyCougar
09-08-2003, 10:14 PM
Funny! Thats a PS2 screenshot man. Use an xbox screenshot to prove yer point. I have to say I think the lineman are not skinny, by what I have seen so far.

ARONO129
09-08-2003, 11:02 PM
I got ESPN today and it's slick. Madden is just sick.

Where do I see doll eyes? In Madden 2004. Madden better graphically? I guess all refs are supposed to look like E.T. with laryngitis. The players skin tones are way off. But of course the small replay screen tries to hide that.

The A.I. in Madden '04 isn't even as good as last years. And why did EA make it that when you use the customizable camera you can't even pull it back to see the way the teams line up?

And the pre and post game presentation is the same every game. Boring. Very boring.

Madden '04 is about as exciting as Madden's commentary. Sad when the most thrilling part of the game is changing the price of parking.

Holt88
09-08-2003, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by ARONO129
I got ESPN today and it's slick. Madden is just sick.

Where do I see doll eyes? In Madden 2004. Madden better graphically? I guess all refs are supposed to look like E.T. with laryngitis. The players skin tones are way off. But of course the small replay screen tries to hide that.

The A.I. in Madden '04 isn't even as good as last years. And why did EA make it that when you use the customizable camera you can't even pull it back to see the way the teams line up?

And the pre and post game presentation is the same every game. Boring. Very boring.

Madden '04 is about as exciting as Madden's commentary. Sad when the most thrilling part of the game is changing the price of parking.

I dont' see doll eyes, maybe it's your tv. A.I. isn't as good? EA improved it, stop lying to yourself. You're point is the pre and post game presentation is boring? ESPN will die off in a week and nobody will care because it gets repeative.

Sad, that they still get outsold by so many copies, it's not even funny.:o

CrazyCougar
09-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Madden will always sell more copies because it is a name branded into our minds after over 13 years. Selling more copies doesnt mean its a better game at all. ESPN will put up a good amount of copies sold this year, just due to the ESPN advertising and promotion. As many as Madden? No, of course not. But the gap is closing.

Its like comparing the PS2 and Xbox sales. One has been around longer, of course its going to have more sales. But the other is catching on.

ARONO129
09-08-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Holt88


I dont' see doll eyes, maybe it's your tv. A.I. isn't as good? EA improved it, stop lying to yourself. You're point is the pre and post game presentation is boring? ESPN will die off in a week and nobody will care because it gets repeative.

Sad, that they still get outsold by so many copies, it's not even funny.:o

Son there is nothing wrong with my TV set but I do suggest you remove your nose from EA's behind.

Troll if you must. I'll be playing and enjoying ESPN so I won't have time to respond to your regurgitation. Other's will be enjoying ESPN Football on Live. Happy hot dog sales.:cheers:

Holt88
09-09-2003, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
Madden will always sell more copies because it is a name branded into our minds after over 13 years. Selling more copies doesnt mean its a better game at all. ESPN will put up a good amount of copies sold this year, just due to the ESPN advertising and promotion. As many as Madden? No, of course not. But the gap is closing.

Its like comparing the PS2 and Xbox sales. One has been around longer, of course its going to have more sales. But the other is catching on.

No excuses. People buy it because it's realistic and there's a reason it's in the HOF and ESPN isn't.

Holt88
09-09-2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by ARONO129


Son there is nothing wrong with my TV set but I do suggest you remove your nose from EA's behind.

Troll if you must. I'll be playing and enjoying ESPN so I won't have time to respond to your regurgitation. Other's will be enjoying ESPN Football on Live. Happy hot dog sales.:cheers:

There is something wrong with you're tv if you cannot see it, not my problem.

CrazyCougar
09-09-2003, 07:19 AM
Can we say Holt = Madden Fanboy? Obviously. And only time will tell how ESPN fares against the establish name (due to experience, not content) of Madden.

We shall see, we shall see.

Casper
09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Madden more resembles it's older games than ESPN does of the DC series - you can't even compare how ESPN's graphics look compared to those of a game that was out 3 years ago. One huge difference is bump mapping. The player models in Madden have clothes hangers for shoulders, they all walk around like they have a stick up their rears. ESPN's players look so amazing and with the new animations on the plays, I can actually see my guy make the slightest move to break off a tackle.

As far as Madden's other spots go, since you seem to be so in key on it. The running game, has and always will be, slow and sluggish. You can't break away from a tackle and it feels like your guys are moving in wet cement. I'm not going to bicker about everything with that dam game, but I am happy that I was able to scam EA for a free game.

Btw, how long will it take Madden to realize that the real way to make the control setup is so that it's similar between offense and defense, not the total reverse like they have always used.

ESPN - best sport game I've ever played
Madden is like Tony Siragusa - overhyped and still gets love from the NFL, for no dam reason.

RudedogX
09-09-2003, 09:17 AM
All I've gotta say is read the review that even Gamespot gave ESPN football. If you don't want to read it, I'll put the synopsis here:



While Madden is the most realistic-playing football game on the market, ESPN NFL Football is simply the most exciting football game on the planet. - Ryan Mac Donald Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/sports/nfl2k4/review.html)


In other words, yes, madden may be realistic, but realism does not always make the best game. Normally Gamespot is all about Madden and not quite so much about ESPN (or sega), yet suddenly, this year, they've changed their tune. Ya think that's because ESPN is actually the better game?!:huh:

Holt88
09-09-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA
Madden more resembles it's older games than ESPN does of the DC series - you can't even compare how ESPN's graphics look compared to those of a game that was out 3 years ago. One huge difference is bump mapping. The player models in Madden have clothes hangers for shoulders, they all walk around like they have a stick up their rears. ESPN's players look so amazing and with the new animations on the plays, I can actually see my guy make the slightest move to break off a tackle.

As far as Madden's other spots go, since you seem to be so in key on it. The running game, has and always will be, slow and sluggish. You can't break away from a tackle and it feels like your guys are moving in wet cement. I'm not going to bicker about everything with that dam game, but I am happy that I was able to scam EA for a free game.

Btw, how long will it take Madden to realize that the real way to make the control setup is so that it's similar between offense and defense, not the total reverse like they have always used.

ESPN - best sport game I've ever played
Madden is like Tony Siragusa - overhyped and still gets love from the NFL, for no dam reason.

Um yeah, there is a difference in speed. ESPN resembles college football speed and Madden NFL. ESPN is the most over hyped game.

In the HOF, sells more and just overall better, live with it.

Buccaneer21
09-09-2003, 06:18 PM
What a fanboy. :rofl:

CrazyCougar
09-09-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer21
What a fanboy. :rofl:

That obviously seems to be an understatement in this situation. I think its the fear beginning to show from Madden diehards around the world that there is a new kid on the block about to beat the hell out of Madden.

I say Cheers to Madden for many years past...The past 13 years have been outstanding and come a long way. But its time to step aside as ESPN (The Worlwide LEADER in sports) is here to stay.

Holt88
09-09-2003, 10:12 PM
:huh: What happend last year? Sega getting their a$$es handed to them. And it's happend again this year. Too bad, but the truth is, they will never catch up.

Casper
09-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Holt88


Um yeah, there is a difference in speed. ESPN resembles college football speed and Madden NFL. ESPN is the most over hyped game.

In the HOF, sells more and just overall better, live with it.

What if I don't want to live with it? Like I said, I've tried both already and am hooked on ESPN. Why? Because it's the best dam game out on the market right now, period. If you want to stick with a company that has used the same boring ass commentary since '91, than so be it, but don't try and knock a game that is way above what Madden has ever been, and hell, they've been working on that game since Gensis, shouldn't it be perfect by now?

Go back and play your PS2, I know you're much happier there....

CrazyCougar
09-10-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
:huh: What happend last year? Sega getting their a$$es handed to them. And it's happend again this year. Too bad, but the truth is, they will never catch up.

Continue livin' in your dream world, but don't come lookin for sympathy in 2 years when Madden has been toppled for the first time in sales.

Holt88
09-10-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Casper-XBA


What if I don't want to live with it? Like I said, I've tried both already and am hooked on ESPN. Why? Because it's the best dam game out on the market right now, period. If you want to stick with a company that has used the same boring ass commentary since '91, than so be it, but don't try and knock a game that is way above what Madden has ever been, and hell, they've been working on that game since Gensis, shouldn't it be perfect by now?

Go back and play your PS2, I know you're much happier there....

Best? Not exactly. It's DOING ALOT better in sales than ESPN and that means alot more people like it, bottom line. Who cares about commentary? It'll get boring within a week. Only thing that counts is gameplay which Madden has and hasn't broken. Sega trys taking shots at Madden? That's just down right funny. They had alot of explaining to do, but didn't live up to it.


Madden NFL 2004 Shatters Sales Records
Two millions units sold in only two weeks.

Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS), the world's leading developer and publisher of videogames, today announced that based on internal tracking, two football titles launched in July and August have broken records. Madden NFL 2004 has sold through more than two million units in just over three weeks. NCAA(R) Football 2004 has sold through close to one million units.

"The data we're getting from retailers indicates this could be another record breaking year for Madden NFL and NCAA Football," said EA Senior Vice President of Marketing Frank Gibeau. "The season is just beginning and serious fans have already been to the store twice for football games made by EA SPORTS."

Major retailers have confirmed a record-breaking launch. "Based on the first three weeks of sales across all platforms, Madden NFL 2004 is the fastest selling game in the history of EBGames," said Jeff Griffiths, President and CEO.

"EA broke the record," said GameStop President and Chief Operating Officer Dan DeMatteo. "Madden's first week numbers made it the fastest-selling game we've ever had in our stores."

Based on internal tracking, EA estimates:

-- Both games are maintaining strong momentum at retail.

-- To date, total sales of the two EA SPORTS(TM) football games are just below three million units.

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the PlayStation(R) 2.

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the Xbox(TM).

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the Nintendo GameCube(TM).

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the PC, the Game Boy(R) Advance and the original PlayStation.

-- NCAA Football 2004 is the #2 football title on all platforms.

-- Both games are currently tracking ahead of the record volume established in 2002, when independent data showed they were the number one and number two selling football titles with a collective category market share of 82.1 percent. Historically, sports represent roughly 27 percent of the market for games in North America. Football titles represent roughly 28 percent of the sports category.

-- In the past six weeks, EA SPORTS football titles have registered 200,000 new user accounts to play online through the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system.

"We couldn't be happier with the way this game has been received by fans and critics," said EA's Tiburon Studio General Manager Steve Chiang. "Gaming critics have overwhelmingly chosen Madden NFL 2004 as the top rated game and we've achieved our highest ratings in the history of the franchise."

"Consumer enthusiasm for our football titles suggests it's going to be an unprecedented year for the entire EA SPORTS brand," said Frank Gibeau. "September releases include NASCAR Thunder 2004, NHL 2004 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004. In October, we'll launch a major marketing campaign to promote breakthrough game play innovations in NBA LIVE 2004. We'll finish up the year in sports with FIFA 2004 and NCAA March Madness 2004 launching in November." -IGN. http://wire.ign.com/articles/436/436492p1.html?fromint=1


Blah, even NCAA is 2nd on all platforms. See, EA still owns SEGA. That makes two games better than ESPN. :rolleyes:

ARONO129
09-10-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Holt88


Best? Not exactly. It's DOING ALOT better in sales than ESPN and that means alot more people like it, bottom line. Who cares about commentary? It'll get boring within a week. Only thing that counts is gameplay which Madden has and hasn't broken. Sega trys taking shots at Madden? That's just down right funny. They had alot of explaining to do, but didn't live up to it.


Madden NFL 2004 Shatters Sales Records
Two millions units sold in only two weeks.

Electronic Arts (Nasdaq:ERTS), the world's leading developer and publisher of videogames, today announced that based on internal tracking, two football titles launched in July and August have broken records. Madden NFL 2004 has sold through more than two million units in just over three weeks. NCAA(R) Football 2004 has sold through close to one million units.

"The data we're getting from retailers indicates this could be another record breaking year for Madden NFL and NCAA Football," said EA Senior Vice President of Marketing Frank Gibeau. "The season is just beginning and serious fans have already been to the store twice for football games made by EA SPORTS."

Major retailers have confirmed a record-breaking launch. "Based on the first three weeks of sales across all platforms, Madden NFL 2004 is the fastest selling game in the history of EBGames," said Jeff Griffiths, President and CEO.

"EA broke the record," said GameStop President and Chief Operating Officer Dan DeMatteo. "Madden's first week numbers made it the fastest-selling game we've ever had in our stores."

Based on internal tracking, EA estimates:

-- Both games are maintaining strong momentum at retail.

-- To date, total sales of the two EA SPORTS(TM) football games are just below three million units.

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the PlayStation(R) 2.

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the Xbox(TM).

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the Nintendo GameCube(TM).

-- Madden is the #1 football title on the PC, the Game Boy(R) Advance and the original PlayStation.

-- NCAA Football 2004 is the #2 football title on all platforms.

-- Both games are currently tracking ahead of the record volume established in 2002, when independent data showed they were the number one and number two selling football titles with a collective category market share of 82.1 percent. Historically, sports represent roughly 27 percent of the market for games in North America. Football titles represent roughly 28 percent of the sports category.

-- In the past six weeks, EA SPORTS football titles have registered 200,000 new user accounts to play online through the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system.

"We couldn't be happier with the way this game has been received by fans and critics," said EA's Tiburon Studio General Manager Steve Chiang. "Gaming critics have overwhelmingly chosen Madden NFL 2004 as the top rated game and we've achieved our highest ratings in the history of the franchise."

"Consumer enthusiasm for our football titles suggests it's going to be an unprecedented year for the entire EA SPORTS brand," said Frank Gibeau. "September releases include NASCAR Thunder 2004, NHL 2004 and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 2004. In October, we'll launch a major marketing campaign to promote breakthrough game play innovations in NBA LIVE 2004. We'll finish up the year in sports with FIFA 2004 and NCAA March Madness 2004 launching in November." -IGN. http://wire.ign.com/articles/436/436492p1.html?fromint=1


Blah, even NCAA is 2nd on all platforms. See, EA still owns SEGA. That makes two games better than ESPN. :rolleyes:

Madden sells two million copies in two weeks? That's a lot of unhappy customers. Do you even own an Xbox? If you do then why do you like Maddens PS2 graphics?

I'll bet you're playing Madden on your PS2 and you know someone who's playing ESPN on Xbox and obviously you are jealous.

P.S. If you do own an Xbox then how are you ranking online with Madden '04?

Happy hot dog sales.

Holt88
09-11-2003, 06:39 AM
Like I said, enough with the excuses. I provide a link with information on Madden selling better than ESPN. The graphics are good enough and the player models are betting looking and also the lighting. But that's not what counts, gameplay does and it beats ESPN. This is a lost battle, give up.

CrazyCougar
09-11-2003, 07:06 AM
Lost battle? Hardly....

Holt a lost cause? Definitely......

You just don't get it do you? I am not in the least worried about what kind of sales ESPN ends up with. I know I have the better game over madden and thats the bottom line. Did i say Madden was a bad game? No. ESPN is just better. Fact, not opinion there, and many many folks agree. Including some of your beloved 2,000,000 that bought Madden when it first came out.

Holt88
09-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Who cares about you're point. I put up a site that showed that Madden is the better selling football game, even on the XBox. Yet others provide no back up for ESPN.

Dre
09-14-2003, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
Who cares about you're point. I put up a site that showed that Madden is the better selling football game, even on the XBox. Yet others provide no back up for ESPN.

Who cares about your sales figures? No one is questioning that Madden has sold more copies in the past and will more than likely outsell ESPN this year. A true gamer judges by the gameplay, not by some sales figure he pulled off the internet. And gameplay clearly shows that ESPN is the superior football title on Xbox this season. Period. Argue all you want about Madden selling more, or how you saw skinny linemen.. no one really cares.

Holt88
09-14-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Dre


Who cares about your sales figures? No one is questioning that Madden has sold more copies in the past and will more than likely outsell ESPN this year. A true gamer judges by the gameplay, not by some sales figure he pulled off the internet. And gameplay clearly shows that ESPN is the superior football title on Xbox this season. Period. Argue all you want about Madden selling more, or how you saw skinny linemen.. no one really cares.

Sales figures are something and prove it has sold more and more ppl lke it. You prove nothing. I give stats and Madden is selling more on XBox than ESPN. Just shows more people don't like ESPN so don't give me that crap.

CrazyCougar
09-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Well Holt, obviously you are set on a sales perspective and not a gameplay perspective. So yes Madden has outsold ESPN and will do so again this year. But time will topple Madden.

Lets see Madden 13+ years experience
ESPN 4 years experience

I'd say thats quite a difference in age and name recognition. ESPN is doing a hell of a job being compared to the "almighty Madden". And EA Sports is extrememly worried about the newcomer.

I cant take your opinion seriously anyhow because with a name like Holt88 you have to be a rams fan. And thats just plain bad.

dances with broom sticks
09-14-2003, 07:54 PM
FINALLY, GOT TO THE END OF THE THREAD SO I CAN POST!


I will start off by asking how sales figures relates to what people like more? How many people in here own a game they dont like? enough said. I own fever, It hasnt seen the light of day since espn came home. And I work at Blockbuster, and our figures show this:

- Madden was renting crazy and couldnt be kept on the shelf, until fever came out, then there was always about 2 copies (out of 6) on the shelf.

-Now that ESPN has come out, we have had to sell down to 2 copies of madden, as the most that have been rented out at a time is 1, and that only happened when both fever and ESPN were gone.

-ESPN gets rented before it comes back usually (there is a request list), this never happened to madden.


There, I just proved that people like ESPN better... Face it, battle lost :D

CrazyCougar
09-14-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by dances with broom sticks

There, I just proved that people like ESPN better... Face it, battle lost :D

Nice....now thats what I am talkin about.

Holt88
09-15-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by dances with broom sticks
FINALLY, GOT TO THE END OF THE THREAD SO I CAN POST!


I will start off by asking how sales figures relates to what people like more? How many people in here own a game they dont like? enough said. I own fever, It hasnt seen the light of day since espn came home. And I work at Blockbuster, and our figures show this:

- Madden was renting crazy and couldnt be kept on the shelf, until fever came out, then there was always about 2 copies (out of 6) on the shelf.

-Now that ESPN has come out, we have had to sell down to 2 copies of madden, as the most that have been rented out at a time is 1, and that only happened when both fever and ESPN were gone.

-ESPN gets rented before it comes back usually (there is a request list), this never happened to madden.


There, I just proved that people like ESPN better... Face it, battle lost :D

That's funny because you have no proof, I've checked countless stores here and there isn't a demand for it.

I provide stats while I get B.S.

CrazyCougar
09-15-2003, 09:44 PM
Hmmm Holt, its kinda funny that there is more supporters for ESPN at this site than for Madden. That obvious by this thread and all the other threads about ESPN. I think its safe to say that Madden fans are outnumbered by at least 3 to 1 here. I see no one else jumping in here to help you defend Madden. Funny isnt it?

Holt88
09-16-2003, 06:51 AM
I don't care, it's not about quantity it's about quality, get it through you're thick skull.

Dre
09-16-2003, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
I don't care, it's not about quantity it's about quality, get it through you're thick skull.

You should heed your own advice. Its not about how many copies are sold (quantity), its about which is more fun to play (quality). As Crazy-Cougar just pointed out, there are many more ESPN fans than Madden Fans on this site. Why? Because the game feels and plays like a better football game, its just that way, get it through your thick skull.

CrazyCougar
09-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
I don't care, it's not about quantity it's about quality, get it through you're thick skull.

Hey man, if its not about quantity with you then why do you keep bringing up the fact of the Madden Sales??? High sales volume does not even hint at a game of quality. High sales is all due to the name recognition and thats it. I did not ever say madden was a bad game and told you I played it. BUT the fact of the matter is ESPN is the better game for quality. Who needs quantity when it shows by opinion right on this forum which is the better game.

ESPN by leaps and bounds is far more superior to Madden and that shows by most people's opinion, not sales. So as for the thick skull, I think you best look in the mirror and think about your statement a little longer before typing.

Holt88
09-16-2003, 03:33 PM
I could careless, sales show, peoples opinions, nothing. And there are more Madden players on Xbox, you lost, give it up.

CrazyCougar
09-16-2003, 11:43 PM
People opinion dont count? Kewl then I can just ignore everything you wrote in this thread. Thanks for wasting my time.

Holt88
09-17-2003, 08:59 AM
Madden is the number 1 selling football game on XBox, amazing isn't it.

Casper
09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Holt88
Madden is the number 1 selling football game on XBox, amazing isn't it.

And it's amazing that you are still going with this....the only one in this thread that's still going....wow.....

CrazyCougar
09-17-2003, 12:41 PM
And the only Madden supporter in the thread as well. Geee, that just shows how popular Madden really is. Its all about ESPN.

unklefuka
09-17-2003, 03:18 PM
Madden looks like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag, just like the drunk fat ass redneck it's named after. Sega will always rule football video games...bottomline. Who in the hell would waste time or money on some crappy Madden **** on PS2? Did you watch Carolina beat Tampa Sunday? I beat you think Carolina isn't sim because they blocked 3 kicks, huh? LMAO

Buccaneer21
09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
You just had to use the Buc VS Panther game as an example lol.:cry:

CrazyCougar
09-17-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Buccaneer21
You just had to use the Buc VS Panther game as an example lol.:cry:

ROFLMAO!

Holt88
09-17-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by CrazyCougar-XBA
And the only Madden supporter in the thread as well. Geee, that just shows how popular Madden really is. Its all about ESPN.

Madden is the number 1 selling fb on the XBox. Seems like you've lost this battle, too bad.

Holt88
09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by unklefuka
Madden looks like 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag, just like the drunk fat ass redneck it's named after. Sega will always rule football video games...bottomline. Who in the hell would waste time or money on some crappy Madden **** on PS2? Did you watch Carolina beat Tampa Sunday? I beat you think Carolina isn't sim because they blocked 3 kicks, huh? LMAO

Awww, look at the words you use. Madden looks alot better then ESPN Football.

Look at this garbage. And no whining it's from XBox. http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/bucs199193homex.jpg

You call that good? :huh:

CrazyCougar
09-18-2003, 02:14 AM
Yeah those old orange uni's for the Bucs are garbage man. They definitely did suck. Thanks for pointing that out though. Now I will remember to stay away from using that retro uniform.

Holt88
09-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Those player models are terrible, just terribleeeeee.

Seawolf1
09-23-2003, 07:25 PM
Holt, your a funny person.:p

Maddan got flat out punked by 2K4 this year and its eating a hole right through you. LMAO

"NO! IT CAN'T BE!!! Maddan Must be the best, it just has to. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!":D

Holt88
09-24-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Seawolf1
Holt, your a funny person.:p

Maddan got flat out punked by 2K4 this year and its eating a hole right through you. LMAO

"NO! IT CAN'T BE!!! Maddan Must be the best, it just has to. NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!":D

:cool: