PDA

View Full Version : I'm excited about ATI and Xbox now

Seawolf1
09-06-2003, 06:06 PM
I am a long time PC gamer and build my own gaming rigs. For about a year now I have used the ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128mb AGP card and when I heard the Microsoft cut a deal with ATI to provide GFX for Xbox2 (or whatever they call it) I got real excited. This Radeon I use in my Gaming PC is really fast and makes everything look really beautifull.

I guess what I would really like to find out is if the next Xbox will use Full Scene Anti-Aliasing or FSAA since ATI is famous for its FSAA quality. For those not familiar with FSAA it is the process in which a video card smooths out the jagged edges in games. In the past using this feature had a big hit to performance, but with todays cards High Res and FSAA is possible with little to no hit to frame rates.
Just curious if anyone in the know has info on such things with the next Xbox.

LynxFX
09-06-2003, 07:25 PM
The Xbox already is capable of FSAA but few game developers are evening using it. At the res most games are at, and the way Nvidia does AA you can basically get it for free, yet they still don't use it.

Lazy developers. There should be no jaggies on any Xbox games right now.

Seawolf1
09-07-2003, 02:55 AM
Well hopefully someone at MS will take advantage of ATI's superior FSAA and use it with the next Xbox. The graphics on the Xbox are already great, but there is always room for improvement.

Flood
09-07-2003, 03:56 AM
ill 2nd what lynx said...LAZY DEVELOPERS!!!!

OC Noob
09-07-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Seawolf1
Well hopefully someone at MS will take advantage of ATI's superior FSAA and use it with the next Xbox. The graphics on the Xbox are already great, but there is always room for improvement.

Like Lynx said, they don't need the power of an R300 based ATi card to do AA on XBox. If ATI gets the contract over NVidia (which I'm hoping happens) it will be killer to have a Radeon 10000 running the show, but the Gf3/4 hybrid can do a decent measure of AA as it stands.

Definitly not AA on computer games though or atleast not enough to matter.