PDA

View Full Version : Gamers target new level of reality

Jafo232
09-08-2003, 04:20 AM
It will be cool if they port this over to Xbox. It would be a really cool thing for XBL too:

http://msnbc.com/news/962391.asp?0dm=C13LT

Sept. 05 — The product is called “Kuma: War” and comes from a new company called Kuma Reality Games. It’s a group of veteran video game executives who started their own company with a simple idea: Break new ground in this $11 billion-a-year industry by delivering weekly episodes of the game based on what’s going on in the real world. Their first offering, due in stores and on the Web next February, is certain to be noticed.

IN “KUMA: WAR”, gamers are given a profile and password that lets them buy into military missions. You pay $40 for the game, then $10 a month for updates. Missions, the company says, that will be up-to-date, historically accurate and — even though there’s direct Pentagon involvement, relevant to recent U.S. military actions.

One of the missions set for release is the gunfight with Uday and Qusay Hussein. Company CEO Keith Halper said it’s not just the game that’s different but the business model behind it.

“There’s a critical difference,” said Halper. “We require a broadband connection. The broadband connection enables us to update the content that’s on your PC, and that means that we can reflect the news that’s happening today. That’s something that other games just simply don’t do.”

In each mission, gamers are briefed with what the company says is “real world” news reporting, satellite imagery and accurate recreations verified by a team of military veterans. The company says some of the video on which battle scenes are based comes from Defense Department archive footage that has been de-classified.

Retired Marine Corps Major General Tom Wilkerson leads the company’s advisory board.

“They depend heavily on accuracy in their content and in their delivery and timeliness and a clear understanding of the situation which cries for military expertise, which is what we provide because that lends that credence,” he said.

The games can be updated weekly and automatically downloaded to consumers’ computers.

And behind it all, said Halper, is not just a profit motive, but a desire to teach players what real world soldiers in war zones face every day.

As for critics concerned that in some way the game may exploit tragedy in the military, Halper said that they take the issue “very seriously.”

“We try to be authentic, and being authentic means portraying real events,” Halper said. “But we also think that we have a responsibility to tell the stories of the soldiers who are out there. And that’s a responsibility to them.”

In fact, both Wilkerson and Halper told us that this is a salute to men and women in uniform — many of whom, they said, will be paid for their involvement in crafting the games.

Halper said the target consumer is game lovers and news junkies ages 24 and over. It usually takes 18 months to develop a game, but the company said updates can be turned around in as little as four weeks by using different teams of developers.

Flood
09-08-2003, 04:48 AM
thats crazy....i really dont know what to think of that

rough_rida
09-08-2003, 07:25 AM
I think this will go down the drain pretty soon.

Dyslexic Chaos
09-08-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by rough_rida
I think this will go down the drain pretty soon.

At 10$ a month for updates, i think it will too. Especially considering it's a pretty no-name company full of execs *shiver*. But I'm sure it will sell very well off the shelf because all the Americans are caught up in the was scene right now (no offence guys, but you know it's true).

Arven
09-08-2003, 08:58 AM
I've never heard that idea before. You gotta applaud innovation. It sure sounds interesting. I wonder if they could do that same thing in other contexts (non-military)?

Stormlord
09-08-2003, 09:20 AM
Sounds like that EA game Majestic. IF you haven't heard of it it's because it went down the tubes. But you never know maybe these guys can pull it off because EA isn't patient when it comes to games.

LynxFX
09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
America's Army game has been doing something very similar, at least with keeping with recent events and military technology. As soon as a new weapon or vehicle is used on the battlefield they immediately make it available in the game via direct downloads (updates). Not sure if any missions are like that as well.

Jafo232
09-08-2003, 01:18 PM
Sounds like that EA game Majestic. IF you haven't heard of it it's because it went down the tubes. But you never know maybe these guys can pull it off because EA isn't patient when it comes to games.

Yeah I tried Majestic, it was lame, it wasn't really a video game and it got pretty annoying when they called your house screaming and crying at 9 in the morning that the black helicopters finally were able to break through their tin foil hats.

I am thinking this game will come down to what they all do: Gameplay.

If the gameplay sucks, the novelty will wear off quick and it will go down the tubes.

I do think it would be cool if Ghost Recon picked up on this theme though.

Shadow20002
09-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Too much of money... :watchout:

thrAsher
09-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Reality TV, and now Reality Video Gaming! Soon we will be able to simulate actual life, friendships, marriages, and jobs! Oh wait, I forgot about the Sims.

While I applaud innovation, I do not consider this all that innovative. It's more of a gimmick, if you ask me. What'll be next, simulating the Bundy murders? :rolleyes:

My money says this thing flops.

Ford Mustang
09-08-2003, 04:45 PM
I think the price will hurt the game alot. I have to admit though, it is a great idea for a game. I hope they are able to back up the idea with some great gameplay and keep the other aspects of the game up there too. If they do that, they will sell alot of copies. Maybe not TONS, but enough to pay them nicely. :)