PDA

View Full Version : Dead Man's Hand Screens

thrAsher
09-10-2003, 11:58 AM
I've heard nothing of this title. The screens (http://www.gamepro.com/microsoft/xbox/games/news/30882.shtml) look nice, and the game supports Live so you can play Cowboys and Indians w/ your buddies. I would be very interested in playing a shooter based the Old West. Any impressions on this game?

Voodoo_Vince
09-10-2003, 02:00 PM
That game has cleaned up nice since I last saw screens , it looks to be a Good game, I still don't like the fact when your riding a horse it's on Rails,

carlbme
09-10-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo_Vince
That game has cleaned up nice since I last saw screens , it looks to be a Good game, I still don't like the fact when your riding a horse it's on Rails,

You have a link to the rails thing? I agree though, a game like this would be a bit messed up if you had a horse that moved more like a vehicle than an animal.

runninutes
09-10-2003, 03:24 PM
Anyone remember Outlaws? That game was cool.

Brevity
09-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Othos wants this game and has every since last year when we first heard about it. I however think it will suck.

thrAsher
09-10-2003, 04:21 PM
runninutes: Outlaws? What was that on?

And Brevity, I don't know this Othos, but I posted this because I dig the concept. Whether it's worth a duckfart is another matter, although I thought the screens looked decent.

Tim
09-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Here is an excerpt I found on gamespot:

Since Dead Man's Hand is built on the Xbox version of the Unreal engine, it uses the Karma physics engine to pretty impressive effect. The character models flail around nicely when you take them out--they'll keel over backward if you hit them with a six-gun, but a 12-gauge blast at close range will send them positively flying backward. Just about everything in the environment reacts to your shots and other explosions physically, too--we shot out one leg of a lean-to at one point, which collapsed on and killed an enemy. King showed us a scene where firing at a barrel of gunpowder would send a wagon rolling down a hill. The rampant use of physics in the game seems to make the action and environments feel a lot more alive than they would otherwise.

Like you'd expect out of any good FPS on the Xbox, Dead Man's Hand will make full use of Xbox Live. In addition to the expected deathmatch and team deathmatch modes, multiplayer Dead Man's Hand will feature two unique modes: bounty and posse. In bounty, one player becomes a mark, and all of the other players will attempt to hunt down the bounty for greater reward. King said to remember the Alamo when envisioning the way the posse mode works--you'll hole up with several friends and fight off wave after wave of incoming AI bandits.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/deadmanshand/preview_6073815.html

Looks like a good game. I just hope it isn't as fast as Unreal is...

Shadow20002
09-10-2003, 05:27 PM
This one will revive Outlaws for sure !! Huh.. Don't know what is Outlaws ? Search in abandonware's sites. ;)

Gameman732
09-11-2003, 06:29 AM
Here's some game info re: Dead Man's hand...

Infogrames has announced a new first-person shooter for the Xbox, called
Dead Man's Hand. The game has an Old West theme, is powered by Epic
Games' Unreal graphics engine, and will feature online multiplayer through
Xbox Live. Dead Man's Hand is scheduled to be published this fall under
Infogrames' Atari label and will be an exclusive title for the Xbox.

“Dead Man’s Hand will be an amazing recreation of the Old West, from the
high drama of showdowns to the window-smashing action of shoot outs to the
bitter plights of vengeance,” said Steve Allison, vice president of marketing at
Infogrames, Inc.’s Los Angeles studio. “By using the power of the Xbox and, the
latest Unreal Technology together, Human Head is creating one of the best look-
ing, best playing and truly unique first person shooters ever released.Xbox owners
are in for a real treat, both in single player and against online foes through Xbox
Live!”

In Dead Man’s Hand, players will step into the boots of El Tejón, master gunfighter,
riding with one of the roughest gangs in the West, known as The Nine. When the
ruthless leader of The Nine betrays El Tejón, El Tejón turns to a life of vengeance,
vowing to put every member of his former gang six-feet under.

Besides straight shooting, Dead Man’s Hand incorporates unique gameplay
elements taken from the Old West. Gamers will try their hands at blasting
desperados from the back of their trusty steed and shooting it out on a moving
train, ducking just before going through tunnels. In addition, as the game
progresses, players will acquire “Legend,” a unique scoring system that awards
points as the player blazes a path into Western folklore. When accumulated,
Legend will allow gamers to pull off amazing trick shots and death-defying feats.
Players will also be able to pick their own path through the game, revealing new
mission choices as the game progresses.
Dead Man’s Hand is scheduled for release on Xbox in Fall 2003.

Screenshots
http://www.us.infogrames.com/games/dead_mans_hand_xbox_action/1b.jpg

http://www.us.infogrames.com/games/dead_mans_hand_xbox_action/4b.jpg

http://www.us.infogrames.com/games/dead_mans_hand_xbox_action/5b.jpg

Through an epic single player story of vengeance and betrayal, the player will
travel the American Frontier, experiencing bar fights, shoot outs, stagecoach
chases and other definitively Western scenes. Dead Man’s Hand captures the
grandeur, action and drama of the Old West with six-shooters, rifles, black
hats, horses, hombres, dancing girls, riverboats, saloon poker and many other
iconic images.

Saloon poker also plays a major role in Dead Man’s Hand. Players will sit down
for a poker game before each mission as a bonus round. If successful, the
player will earn bonuses such as additional Legend, health or ammo. The player
then decides whether to gamble their initial earnings for bigger bonuses. However,
they could lose all of their bonuses in the process.

More than 20 adventures will challenge gamers, through the deserts, hills and
towns of the old southwest, across the mountains and mine shafts of the great
northwest, and in the riverboats and cities of the Midwest. Missions will take place
upon vast maps that feature detailed indoor and outdoor locations, from rickety old
saloons to sprawling mountain vistas to dark mysterious mineshafts.

Players will have nine different Old West firearms to choose from, each modeled on
the real pistols, shotguns and rifles that made the Old West famous. Other weapons
include knives and dynamite, as well as fixed Gatling guns and cannons that will blow
enemies clear into the next county.

Players will be able to compete against other Xbox owners via Xbox Live! as well as
against friends in their living room in split screen multi-player mode. A variety of
competitive and cooperative play modes will be available.

Utilizing the power of the latest Unreal technology by Epic Games, Human Head has
developed an amazing recreation of the sweeping vistas and rustic canyon towns of
the American Frontier. The sophisticated in-game physics engine will make hats fly
off enemies when they are shot, bad guys fall off roofs, knock over barrels and bust
up furniture as they drop; and wagons and carts buck and bounce realistically as they
race across the desert floor.

Human Head’s unique “Semi Persistent World” technology (SPeW) enables varying
terrain through mountains, deserts, prairies, and river valleys. This technology enables
multiple missions to be played on the same map and reveals new missions as the
game progresses. In addition, SPeW allows for many items that get changed or
destroyed in one mission to remain destroyed when players return on later missions.