PDA

View Full Version : X-Box and Big Screen Televisions

Chr0nik
12-19-2001, 12:57 PM
Hi Everyone, this is my first post.

I am looking to get a big screen TV for my house, mostly to play Xbox on, I currently have a 27 inch and it does not do the Xbox any justice.

I want to get a Digital projection TV between 43-51 inches, but I have read on a few places including the Xbox website that gaming on these Tv can cause burn in on the screen which will damage the TV and void the warranty.

Is there any truth to this, or do any of you currently play Xbox on big screens?

Thanks.

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 01:02 PM
Hey, Chronic...welcome to the forums! By the way, if you said a private message to our electronic guru XboxAddict member named "Hugh_Jass", he will be the most helpful...but, there are several other people in here that could also lend a hand. Personally, I'm not quite sure...But, I would definately go HDTV if you can :) The XBox is set up for HDTV...or even go Plasma (But, I would wait on Plasma since they are a little too pricey at the moment).

LynxFX
12-19-2001, 02:59 PM
Welcome Chronik,

If you go with a rear projection tv either digital or HDTV then there are chances that you can get what is called "burn in" or ghost images on the screen. TVs are better than they used to be though. You just have to vary your playing time. If you buy a widescreen tv (16x9) and you play games that are in a (4x3) ratio then you have a good chance of burning in two vertical lines on either side of the tv. This is true also for (4x3) tvs and watching widescreen movies. There you can burn in two horizontal lines, top and bottom. On a 16x9 tv you can stretch 4x3 material to fill the entire screen. Less chance for burn in but the image gets a little distorted. Short fat people, circles become ovals and some artifacts here and there.

Sometimes in games there is a static health bar or other item that can also cause burn in. The only way to really prevent these is to not play in excess, like 14 hours straight. :) Also adjusting the saturation in the tv's settings will also help reduce the chance of burn in. So just be smart about it and mix your playing with tv viewing. Never leave your xbox on all the time showing a static image like if you pause a game or if you turn on the xbox and leave it at the dashboard.

As for tv sudgestions, definately get a digital set that is either HD ready or is an HDTV. This way you can take advantage of the progressive output of the xbox and games. If you go with HD you can support 1080i which (hopefully) games will start to support as well. Also I would recommend going with a widescreen (16x9) tv. This will be the standard come 2006 and some games now support that ratio. Movies will also look more impressive and you can take advantage of anamorphic widescreen dvds. It is a good investment.

Happy shopping.

l Maximus l
12-19-2001, 03:30 PM
Lynxfx <---- That's my boy! He knows his stuff :D

robnyack
12-19-2001, 05:52 PM
Chronik,

if you get a rear end projection set (most of the times, sets larger than 36" are rear end projecton sets) you do have to be concerned about burn in. Static images that, if left on the screen for a long enough time, will permanently "burn" the image into your screen.

You have to be concerned with this not just with xbox, but all game consoles, and not just with game consoles, but with TV stations as well. Over the last couple years, TV stations have gone crazy with their little static images that display their logo, usually at the bottom corner of your screen. Or worse....these **** 24 hr news networks have gone completely crazy with their logos and graphics to the point where half the **** screen is some sort of static image.

It's an unfortunate trend with the networks, one which, I would think they will have to get away from sooner or later because more and more people are shelling out $2Gs for a TV set and they are not going to be happy seeing MSNBC's logo burned into their screen. So, they will not watch the offending networks as much. I know I have made a very conscience effort to limit my time watching stations that go nuts with logos.

I notice some effort to accomadate us being made by some of the networks. For instance, I think it's CBS, during it's football games will change where they display their static image of the game score every several minutes. It will be in upper left hand corner for a few, and then it will be in the upper right hand corner for a few. Smart thinking.

But, anyways, you can get a rear end projection set and game on it, but, you really must remember to take into consideration the time you spend playing a game that has static images. Fortunately, so far, for me, most the games I'm into have very little in static images....OddWorld has pretty much no static images, madden is cool and so is Fever. Halo is a problem though. So, I limit the amount of time I spend playing Halo on my big screen TV. If I really want to go nuts with Halo, I take it to the bedroom's 27" analog set.

But, there is no comparision between looking at an xbox game on my 27" anolg set and my 46" HDTV set with a powerful 5.1/dts home theatre sound system to go with it.

:D

LynxFX
12-19-2001, 06:16 PM
Very good points Robnyack. I forgot about all those little logos.

One thing I would add is when you do get your tv calibrate either professionally or get your hands on Video Essentials DVD or AVIA DVD and calibrate it yourself. You can reduce the chances of burn in over short periods drastically.

Hugh_Jass
12-19-2001, 06:57 PM
You can get a DLP rear projection TV. They are immune to the burn-in problems.

XAddict
12-19-2001, 07:31 PM
I am jsut getting HDTV it will be sweet

LynxFX
12-19-2001, 07:39 PM
Hugh_Jass,

Do you have any links to the DLP rear projection tv's? That sounds very interesting and I haven't heard of them. Heard of CRT projection tvs but not DLP. Sounds cool.

WebToker
12-20-2001, 02:08 AM
Check out the Toshiba 50H81.

LynxFX
12-20-2001, 02:26 AM
Webtoker,

That is still a CRT rear projection tv. Still can suffer from burn in. I want to see one that Hugh_Jass was mentioning built on DLP technology.

Hugh_Jass
12-20-2001, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx
Hugh_Jass,

Do you have any links to the DLP rear projection tv's? That sounds very interesting and I haven't heard of them. Heard of CRT projection tvs but not DLP. Sounds cool.

Here is one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005BID4/mysimon-sr-buyce/002-3623170-9628062

l Maximus l
12-20-2001, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Hugh_Jass

Here is one:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005BID4/mysimon-sr-buyce/002-3623170-9628062

Hey, Hugh...what is the biggest advantage for having a DLP HDTV over other HDTVs other than for gaming? Or is there any? The reason why I ask is that my old man is on the market for an HDTV in the near future...it would be great to advise him so he can make a more informed decision before he goes out and purchases one. Thanks, pal!

LynxFX
12-20-2001, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link Hugh_Jass

I have seen that one at Soundtrack. It was $17,000 the first time I saw it. I didn't realize that it was DLP though. Does look very nice, great image, but pricey for a one chip dlp processor. I wonder if suffers from rainbows like every other one chip dlp projector or if the smaller screen size helps that. I don't suffer from them so I wouldn't be able to tell in person. Maybe the color wheel is faster on it?

It is very cool where they are taking this technology though.

l Maximus l
12-20-2001, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the link Hugh_Jass

I have seen that one at Soundtrack. It was $17,000 the first time I saw it. I didn't realize that it was DLP though. Does look very nice, great image, but pricey for a one chip dlp processor. I wonder if suffers from rainbows like every other one chip dlp projector or if the smaller screen size helps that. I don't suffer from them so I wouldn't be able to tell in person. Maybe the color wheel is faster on it?

It is very cool where they are taking this technology though.

Dude, I just now looked at your website, Lynxfx...Sorry, but, I think I drooled all over it! :D

Ground_Pounder
12-20-2001, 09:37 PM
Well... I may not be an expert in the field... BUT I can tell ya a little bit about my setup.

About the calibration thing, I don't know how many other tv's have this, but mine does it automatically... you select the option in the menu and it automatically ajusts your projection guns. It's a 52" RCA HDTV ready TV (unsure of the model) but it'll do 540p and 1080i. Really really nice set for watching movies.

Now if your going to invest in a TV like this... I REALLY REALLY suggest you upgrade the sound too, the experience when you pop in that first dvd, is breathtaking. Going from 20 yr old equipment to brand new stuff... it blew me away.

We bought this JVC hometheatre package, came with a receiver, 3 disc DVD changer and 6 speakers, sound is amazing for the price.

Make sure you shop around though. Going into the smaller shops will likely be more helpful then going to Future Shop (Best Buy in the states) because they tend to know more.

HDTV is a huge step though... my god... I can't wait to watch the superbowl (it's going to be in HDTV broadcast this year)... oh wow... hehehe But go HDTV for sure though, because in 2005 (correct me if I'm wrong) but it will be law for all the networks to broadcast in HDTV format.

Hugh_Jass
12-21-2001, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Maximus

Hey, Hugh...what is the biggest advantage for having a DLP HDTV over other HDTVs other than for gaming? Or is there any? The reason why I ask is that my old man is on the market for an HDTV in the near future...it would be great to advise him so he can make a more informed decision before he goes out and purchases one. Thanks, pal!

In my mind, gaming is the biggest advantage of DLP vs CRT.
The picture may also be brighter.

Come to think of it, DLP is digital from input to presentation. CRT must convert digital to analog at some point, right?

I really haven't researched this topic enough to give any sort of worthwhile answer. :)

robnyack
12-21-2001, 12:19 PM
lnyx

One thing I would add is when you do get your tv calibrate either professionally or get your hands on Video Essentials DVD or AVIA DVD and calibrate it yourself

YES...YES....YES......people buy these TVs, plug them in and think they are all set. If you do that, you might have a nice picture, but, you are REALLY missing out as to what you could and SHOULD have for a picture.

And you are right, but calibrating your set correctly, the possibility for burn in is somewhat reduced.

robnyack
12-21-2001, 12:21 PM
yea, the new DLPs are nice, but, just a tad bit expensive!!

Brian
12-21-2001, 04:47 PM
I have a 48" Big Screen television and the picture shows up fine. The sucky thing is that you have to sit in the "middle" of the television since it is projection. Just don't pause it and leave the t.v. on for awhile. If you're gonna pause it, turn off the t.v. also.

My two cents. :cool:

LynxFX
12-21-2001, 07:59 PM
That is why I like 'projecting' with my projector. You can view it from any angle. You do need light control though but thankfully I got that covered.

Hugh_Jass
12-21-2001, 09:24 PM
That is why I like 'projecting' with my projector. You can view it from any angle. You do need light control though but thankfully I got that covered.

True. You can get a high gain screen to offset the light control issues but that reduces your viewing angle and black level.

LynxFX
12-21-2001, 10:44 PM
Which is why I got lots of blackout shades. :)