PDA

View Full Version : Doom 3 vs Half Life 2!!

Doom3_
09-20-2003, 09:22 AM
My buddy thinks Half Life 2 will be better then Doom 3 (ha) prove him wrong. Tell me what you think!!!

Variation-XBA
09-21-2003, 02:49 AM
Personally, I'm looking more forward to HL2

Shadow20002
09-22-2003, 12:40 PM
Yeah, i'm totally agree that Doom 3 have some strong side when we talking about graphics but what about the gameplay ?? All we saw in the trailer or footage videos is they show off the graphics, nothing more than that.

On the side of Half-Life 2, best of all. :p

KboT
09-23-2003, 07:59 AM
Doom III all the way, the only thing that made Half-Life was the Mods (Like NS, CS, DoD) but Doom III will be just plain awsome.

Prankster101
09-23-2003, 09:20 PM
I going to have to go with Half Life 2 the gameplay should be great

and just graphics alone dont make the game for doom.

mil
09-26-2003, 06:23 AM
I'm definately getting both, but HL2 is about the sickest thing I've ever seen, and the gameplay in it looks to be incredible. I've wanted DOOM III a lot longer, but I had to go with HL2 based on the little info I have about both games.

Koopa
09-28-2003, 12:32 PM
half life 2 is the game of the future.

doom3 is a pretty game.

no contest.

i'll still be getting doom though, cuz it'll be scary as fcuk:D

xboxman_1
09-28-2003, 05:05 PM
Not enough info. just wait for both games to be released. I think each will be awesome in its own right.

armyof_one/ltd
09-30-2003, 01:03 PM
I would have to go for Half-Life2, although Doom 3 looks awesome I think the HL series have a better story and the way the characters and the environment are completely distrustworthy(this word exists, right?) it makes it even more interesting.(in addition to the nostalgy of fighting besides Barney)

hook-worm J
10-07-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by KboT
Doom III all the way, the only thing that made Half-Life was the Mods (Like NS, CS, DoD) but Doom III will be just plain awsome.

Did you ever even finished the SP game?

It was revolutionary.

Oh yeah, looking forward to HL2.

Stormlord
10-07-2003, 06:05 PM
No one has played either so you can't say. I wouldn't rule out Doom 3 because they haven't shown a 20 mintue video of its physics and id did hire a professional story writer for its story. John Carmack has stated that Doom 3 has a physics engine "that will bring all others to its knees." We just have to wait and see. Just because one game is more anticipated than the other doesn't mean it's better. :cool:

GrggThGrmmRpr
10-07-2003, 10:23 PM
Hmmmm I voted for Half-Life 2 cause that game had a storyline that was AMAZING. It was the first FPS that I played that felt kinda like an RPG. Doing stuff and this amazing detailed story line and just scary too. But I have been a Doom fan since i was like 6 and i really wanna play this game too. You can't beat scary, gory, shoot em ups. Its just Half-Life has a more story based fight to it and your not just shooting you gotta solve puzzles and jump obstacles and all. Its like a platform, an rpg, and a shoot em up all in one!

Cryogenic Pyro
10-07-2003, 10:43 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to HL2 more, but if I ever get a better computer, I'll be getting both.

And actually, some people at Quakecon got to play a multiplayer demo of Doom III.

DIGITAL
10-14-2003, 01:18 AM
doom 3 for me

gerbil
10-22-2003, 09:30 AM
definitely doom3

just like good ol' times :cheers:

lax_defense
10-25-2003, 10:57 AM
Half Life 2 will be so much better than Doom 3. I mean, yeah, ok maybe Doom was the predecessor to all FPS games, but Half Life is what really started to boom the FPS genre. I mean, without Half Life, would we have Halo(the way we wanted it, b/c Bungie was gonna originally make it a RTS game)

Brizzzer-XBC
10-29-2003, 10:48 AM
I don't know much about ether one. Could someone fill me in on what each one is about? I'm a Halo guy though.

WynnFire
11-03-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Doom3_
My buddy thinks Half Life 2 will be better then Doom 3 (ha) prove him wrong. Tell me what you think!!!

It's too early to tell! Neither have been released yet. WAIT TILL THEY COME OUT THEN ASK THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS!! Then we will see who is the true King of PC Shooters.

Stormlord
11-04-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire

It's too early to tell! Neither have been released yet. WAIT TILL THEY COME OUT THEN ASK THESE KIND OF QUESTIONS!! Then we will see who is the true King of PC Shooters.

Exactly who knows if a new comer like Chrome blows them all away from right under our noses.

xbox genius
11-09-2003, 05:48 PM
For PC, i go with half life 2 cuz i like the mouse with half life and half life mods

For xbox, i go with doom3 cuz of multiplayer!!!!1 hahahaha i wanna get it so badly

dmos
11-12-2003, 03:27 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Koopa
[B]half life 2 is the game of the future.

doom3 is a pretty game.

QUOTE]

I would disagree with your statements. While HL2 could very likely be the better of the two games, Doom3 is definately the game of the future. If you read many of the tech articles floating around about the programming of Doom3 you'll see that the technology behind it is simply amazing. While it may not be that "good" per se, Doom3 should definately open our eyes to a whole new world of what fps games could be.

Conchord
11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Doom III, hands down...and to all the idiots saying that Doom III is all looks and no action...just wait til its out. Someone please tell me why Half Life 2 will be better? I need a reason...

Stormlord
11-16-2003, 12:22 AM
I can't really say why they say HL 2 is better. No one has played either and some may say they've played an alpha or beta but those aren't the real games. They say HL 2 because of its physics and give mad props to Valve for the Havok engine like if they made it......:eek: :watchout:

Ruined
11-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Doom3. Fear Carmack.

Conchord
11-16-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Ruined
Doom3. Fear Carmack.

We all do...

OC Noob
11-17-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
I can't really say why they say HL 2 is better. No one has played either and some may say they've played an alpha or beta but those aren't the real games. They say HL 2 because of its physics and give mad props to Valve for the Havok engine like if they made it......:eek: :watchout:

Like tha HL engine was a heavily modded (like 95% valve code) QII engine, Valve has redone the Havok physics engine.

With the info we have right now Hl2 does edge out DIII. They have very similar visuals. They are both going to be using Pixel Shader 2.0, Polybump technology. DIII will have all dynamic lighting and HL2 will have a mixture of dynamic and static lighting. Not much to difference as far as gfx are concerned. Everyone is expecting DIII to look a little better based on Carmack. Which will probably be the case.

After playing the alpha of DIII the physics isn't anything special. Maybe they've tweaked it, but to do some of the things done in the HL2 tech demo they would have to do A LOT of work. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

Carmack has said DIII is to show off his new engine first and a game second, so I wouldn't expect a great story or much of a story at all, just like DI & DII. Its probably a safe bet that HL2's story will be much better. DIII will have that cool scary feel to it which is a big plus.

The display of HL2 showed a fantastic AI display and DIII's AI was definitly not finished in the alpha (some things just stood there oblivious to you), so its hard to say which will be better, but HL2's looks very good thus far.

The coolest thing for HL2, IMO, was the ability to manipulate anything in the environment. Using the gravity gun to rip letters off a hotel sign and launch them at a monster was a prime example of that. I don't think DIII will be able to match that, but if they can it will be very cool.

Sure they are out yet, but we can speculate which will be better with the information at hand. People are always speculating about this or that. I really don't see why we shouldn't be allowed to do it for a couple of silly video games and with waht we know about the game IMO HL2 has the edge considering it may look a bit better and offer full dynamic lighting vs a mixture of static and dynamic.

Of course, this is all speculation based off the alpha, press releases and interviews Speculation about games is a fun topic of discusion, so take it for what its worth and have fun with it.

Conchord
11-17-2003, 03:17 PM
The only thing I don't understand is why do people keep tring to change FPSs? HL2 is better to some people because it does things that traditional FPSs don't do...I don't get it. I want a shooting game, with scripted events, awesome graphics, and a killer plot. Not free-roam storyline. I believe those are called RPGs...

BunnyRabbit
11-17-2003, 04:43 PM
I will have to go with Half Life-2 Just because Im quite sure that it will do well. Valve dished out the first one and it was amazing. I was obsessed with busting scientists over the head with crowbars. My mom made me stop playing because she thought I was being affected by it. I wouldn't blink and she came in at me at 4 inb the morning yellin 4 me to go to bed.

But now I cAn play all the insane games I want and am lookin forward to numba 2. Doom3? Looks sweeter than the almighty pits a hell and Ill be gettin that as well, but, Id pick HL2 over it at this point.