PDA

View Full Version : Copying Xbox games

JAC
12-21-2001, 09:04 AM
Has anyone figured out a way to make a copy of an Xbox game yet? Is anyone trying to figure out a way? I've checked all over the web and there's no mention of it.

Just curious... strictly for backup purposes of course. :)

VAN
12-21-2001, 09:14 AM
I hope you brought your flame-proof suit, JAC.

True dyed-in-the wool gamers deplore software piracy....at least video game software piracy.

You'll find gamers all over the world with pirate copies of photoshop, flash, cooledit pro, etc, but most gamers have such a deep respect for the game developers that we are more than happy to fork over the required cash for our favorite games, and will go to great lengths to prevent video game piracy.

Good luck in this thread. :) I'm sure you'll have some people on your side, but I'm willing to bet my Xbox that I have more on mine. :)

terrapin
12-21-2001, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by VAN

True dyed-in-the wool gamers deplore software piracy....at least video game software piracy.

You'll find gamers all over the world with pirate copies of photoshop, flash, cooledit pro, etc, but most gamers have such a deep respect for the game developers that we are more than happy to fork over the required cash for our favorite games, and will go to great lengths to prevent video game piracy.

Good luck in this thread. :) I'm sure you'll have some people on your side, but I'm willing to bet my Xbox that I have more on mine. :)

I agree with you 100% VAN. I deplore video game software piracy. Hopefully people will grow up and realize that piracy hurts them in the long run and that by supporting these developers they will in turn get better products that have more features and less bugs. If you like a product then you should support it by purchasing the original version. I also don’t want to hear any crap like I can’t afford an original copy because of ????. BS just go to Blockbuster and rent the game. What does it cost like $5 for 5 days? With the current attitude most gamers have this should be more than enough time for you to beat the game (depending on genre of course, I don’t expect anyone to beat a 70 hour RPG in 5 days).

JAC
12-21-2001, 09:39 AM
No biggie. Thanks for the warning. lol Should be interesting.

I don't get all uptight about flames like some do. Takes a little more than some typed words on some forum over the internet to get me riled.

I just hope that if someone has pulled it off already that they won't be afraid to let us know in this thread. I probably won't ask for details, unless someone wants to give them, but it would be nice to know if it's been at least proven possible.

Snoopy7548
12-21-2001, 10:21 AM
i pirate games, i have over 170 copied psx games. have you heard of the program called irc? theres some xbox channels on it and theyre in the process of copying them. they said that the rumored release date is december 25th. they said that they would be ripping the movies to make space so it could fit in a cd-rw. (for those of you who dont know what ripping is, it means to take something out)

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 10:38 AM
Piracy = Theft. If anyone pirates games, it hurts the gaming industry and ruins it for everyone else. Just buy the d a m n games! All of the hard work that goes into these games is ATLEAST worth my mere $50. And, if you really think about it, does a person enjoy a game more than if they stole it via piracy or do they appreciate the game more since they paid for it with their hard earned money. I believe in the latter.

I'm with VAN on this one, obviously.

JAC
12-21-2001, 10:42 AM
Hey thanks Snoopy. I guess I'll have to reinstall Mirc, so I can see what the folks in those channels have to say. Should be interesting. I've got to think that Uncle Billy will have people all over this type of thing, so I'll be sure to be careful with what all "I" say. hehe

"for those of you who dont know what ripping is, it means to take something out"

hehe

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 10:43 AM
Tell me you did not say dat!?,...........please tell me you did not just say dat!
People who pirate games must die!!!:mad:

Time to katana cut some hoe's up in dis peace!:p

Snoopy7548
12-21-2001, 11:15 AM
pirating games are not wrong.i think 50 bucks a game is too much to pay. why pay 50 bucks for one game when you can pay 50 bucks for like 10 games. pirating games do not kill a system. the playstation was like the most pirated game system, and it did really well. a ton of people pirated psx games and the developers still came out with a ton of good games. its the same as pirating music or programs. its like me saying: dont pirate music and programs, it only hurts the artists and programmers. but everyone does it anyway, i bet you everyone on the board pirates music by download mp3's and not buying them. so stop whining about pirating games.

VAN
12-21-2001, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Snoopy7548
why pay 50 bucks for one game when you can pay 50 bucks for like 10 games.

Good point. I'll even add to your perspective.

Why pay 3 bucks for a loaf of bread when you can pay 3 bucks and stuff 10 loaves in your pants?

Why pay 20,000.00 for a new car when you can punch the salesman in the nose and drive away in the car?

Why pay 8 bucks for a movie ticket when you can run inside when the ticket taker isnt looking?

You are really onto something here, Snoopy.

I don't know why I've never thought of this before. I suppose I can quit my job today since theres no need for money anymore. Everything should be free!

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 11:29 AM
Snoopy, you can't change my mind on this, dude. But, let's reason just for a moment. How is it not stealing if you decide to pirate a game because you don't want to pay $50 for it but still get it? LOL....I mean, dude...that's stealing. Seriously, how would you like it if you worked your ass off to produce a game and everyone got it for free? All of that hard work with no incentive at all. That just doesn't make good business sense.

All I know is that I am a Partner in my own company. And, like all businesses, I get screwed over, too...it's not a fun thing. My wife depends on me bringing home the bread, so to speak. I can't when people are screwing me over and it is no different for companies like Microsoft. Yes, they have a lot of money but they didn't get that way because everyone pirated their software.

There is no way to justify pirating games. It can only hurt an industry, not improve it. Now, I don't see any problem in backing up a game...to me, that's quite understandable...because nothing lasts forever including CDs. Everything turns green eventually :D But, to steal something is to not pay for it and if people are getting free games without Microsoft's approval, in this case, it's stealing. Now, if Microsoft chose to allow people to download free games off their website (www.xbox.com), then, that is their decision...but, I don't see it coming too soon.

Dude, just buy the games...people work hard for a living. $50 is a small price to pay for the entertainment value one gets out of their hard work into these games. I don't work for free and no one else should either.

Heyyoudvd
12-21-2001, 11:29 AM
you guys hae seemed to have forgotten that this is Microsoft we're talking about.

You may like Xbox since it has some great software/hardware, but you can't honestly say you have any respect whatsoever for them.

They're trying to monopolize the market and steal everyone's money, even if it means by producing ****ty products. (*cough* Windows ME *cough*)

I would feel no guilt whatsoever from making Microsofr lose a bit of money, especially since it's one of the largest companies in the world.

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by VAN

Good point. I'll even add to your perspective.

Why pay 3 bucks for a loaf of bread when you can pay 3 bucks and stuff 10 loaves in your pants?

Why pay 20,000.00 for a new car when you can punch the salesman in the nose and drive away in the car?

Why pay 8 bucks for a movie ticket when you can run inside when the ticket taker isnt looking?

You are really onto something here, Snoopy.

I don't know why I've never thought of this before. I suppose I can quit my job today since theres no need for money anymore. Everything should be free!

I feel ya Van!

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Heyyoudvd
you guys hae seemed to have forgotten that this is Microsoft we're talking about.

You may like Xbox since it has some great software/hardware, but you can't honestly say you have any respect whatsoever for them.

They're trying to monopolize the market and steal everyone's money, even if it means by producing ****ty products. (*cough* Windows ME *cough*)

I would feel no guilt whatsoever from making Microsofr lose a bit of money, especially since it's one of the largest companies in the world.

Heyyound...d a m n, you are a bold dude. Your response here has absolutely no merit for justification. Just because your crappy computer can't handle Windows ME doesn't mean that it is a bad OS. I have a buddy that uses Windows ME and he loves it! I mean, you have no right to complain about that one, dude. Let's say you decide to go out a purchase a brand new car but it cannot handle the various pot holes on your road. Do you now feel like it's justified to steal tires, parts, accessories, and car fresheners from the same dealership you bought the car from? You make no sense, dude. Reading your posts on these forums is a waste of eye radiation from this computer screen.

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Maximus
Snoopy, you can't change my mind on this, dude. But, let's reason just for a moment. How is it not stealing if you decide to pirate a game because you don't want to pay $50 for it but still get it? LOL....I mean, dude...that's stealing. Seriously, how would you like it if you worked your ass off to produce a game and everyone got it for free? All of that hard work with no incentive at all. That just doesn't make good business sense.

All I know is that I am a Partner in my own company. And, like all businesses, I get screwed over, too...it's not a fun thing. My wife depends on me bringing home the bread, so to speak. I can't when people are screwing me over and it is no different for companies like Microsoft. Yes, they have a lot of money but they didn't get that way because everyone pirated their software.

There is no way to justify pirating games. It can only hurt an industry, not improve it. Now, I don't see any problem in backing up a game...to me, that's quite understandable...because nothing lasts forever including CDs. Everything turns green eventually :D But, to steal something is to not pay for it and if people are getting free games without Microsoft's approval, in this case, it's stealing. Now, if Microsoft chose to allow people to download free games off their website (www.xbox.com), then, that is their decision...but, I don't see it coming too soon.

Dude, just buy the games...people work hard for a living. $50 is a small price to pay for the entertainment value one gets out of their hard work into these games. I don't work for free and no one else should either.

you tell him maxi-pad-imus!!

Hugh_Jass
12-21-2001, 12:26 PM
Pirating is for losers and little kids.

I hope nobody EVER figures out how to pirate XBOX games.

If you think Microsoft is a monopoly and doesn't deserve your money then don't use their products. When enough people stop using Microsoft products then they will cease to be a monopoly.

If you think games aren't worth $50 then rent them. If you pay $50 for 10 games who gets that money? None of it goes to the developer.

Not EVERYONE downloads movies off the Internet. (For one thing, the quality is VERY poor.) I'll admit that I do download MP3s off the Internet but I do so to audition bands that I've never heard. When I find a song I like I will buy the disc (or sometimes every CD that band has released if I REALLY like them).

Besides, even if EVERYONE did something it doesn't make it right.

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Ninja Scroll

you tell him maxi-pad-imus!!

lol..........................Ninja turtle :p

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 12:38 PM

lol..........................Ninja turtle :p

It's the least I could say my little side-kick:)
Seriously and honestly, I agree with all your responses to these bone heads on this thread 100%
Max, I think they "as people" just dont know any better.
Like you said, their is no merit to what they are saying.

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 12:39 PM

It's the least I could say my little side-kick:)
Seriously and honestly, I agree with all your responses to these bone heads on this thread 100%
Max, I think they "as people" just dont know any better.
Like you said, the is no merit to what they are saying.

You know, it's great to have a side kick like you, Ninja. Now, go grab me a beer, I'm thirsty :D

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 12:45 PM

You know, it's great to have a side kick like you, Ninja. Now, go grab me a beer, I'm thirsty :D

D@mn Waximus!
now you wanna take advantage of me cause im siding with my own little side kick? What gives slim?
I got your beer alright little trooper, but I gotta get a massage from yo girl for all my super ninja troubles of dropping you off one of dem beers yo!:D

JAC
12-21-2001, 12:55 PM
Ok, if someone is out there reading this thread who *has* figured out a way to copy Xbox games and is worried about being flamed when replying, then don't.

Just reply and let us know. Stand behind me if you have to. hehe

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 12:56 PM

D@mn Waximus!
now you wanna take advantage of me cause im siding with my own little side kick? What gives slim?
I got your beer alright little trooper, but I gotta get a massage from yo girl for all my super ninja troubles of dropping you off one of dem beers yo!:D

LOL, actually, the beer was for my wife :D She is the one that asked me to get my little baby sidekick the tell all :D

terrapin
12-21-2001, 01:22 PM

That's some pretty good logic there buddy. But what about the game developers who actually create the game? Developers like Rockstar, Bungie and Big Blue Box don't have Microsoft's piggy bank to raid. Some of these developers have trouble paying their bills and need these games just to survive. But I guess you don't care if Rockstar goes under. Who needs GTA4 anyways?

Chr0nik
12-21-2001, 01:24 PM
PIRATING = LESS CASH FLOW = ****TY GAMES

I made the mistake of pirating a few PC games once, and you know what I did not enjoy them as much.

I did not give them the chance they deserved merely because they did not cost me anything.

I find that when I spend money for a game I appreciate it a hell of alot more, and I will give it a chance, usually it ends up being good.

YOU MIRC PIRATES SUCK MY FROSTILICUS NUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How would you like it if you put your blood sweat and tears into a project and someone came along and ripped you off the next day....

I am sure you would not like it too much.

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 01:39 PM

LOL, actually, the beer was for my wife :D She is the one that asked me to get my little baby sidekick the tell all :D

Your girls da drinker huh?
In that case i'll be more than glad to bring her a 24 pack!! lol, oooooooohhh yeeeeeeeea!:D

You see where im going with this junior?;)

smack119
12-21-2001, 04:28 PM

and what about games not mad by MS??? what about all the small developer companies?? doing that will run them out of business....then what??? a company that was good is now gone

**** it i sdidnt readin all the posts before postying this.....sorry for basically duplicating the other guys post

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 04:34 PM

Your girls da drinker huh?
In that case i'll be more than glad to bring her a 24 pack!! lol, oooooooohhh yeeeeeeeea!:D

You see where im going with this junior?;)

No, you don't get it, man...You, the little sidekick, get to go grab my wife a beer so she can feed me :D

Ninja Scroll
12-21-2001, 04:41 PM

No, you don't get it, man...You, the little sidekick, get to go grab my wife a beer so she can feed me :D

ooh I see, well why didnt you say so champ!
Tell your shorty she aint gotta do it. I'll bring it to you myself waximus.
Im gonna bring your Homer Simple-ton looking ass a can of whoop ass dog!!:p The hell with da beer, im gonna bust yo little crainium and stomp a mud hole up in ya wit da beer can!:D

Rancey
12-21-2001, 04:47 PM
Sorry Max, he's got you there ;)

l Maximus l
12-21-2001, 05:17 PM

ooh I see, well why didnt you say so champ!
Tell your shorty she aint gotta do it. I'll bring it to you myself waximus.
Im gonna bring your Homer Simple-ton looking ass a can of whoop ass dog!!:p The hell with da beer, im gonna bust yo little crainium and stomp a mud hole up in ya wit da beer can!:D

You know, if I understood exactly what you meant here, I might have to deny you by not giving you the priveledge to fetch my beer for me so my wife can feed me. Now, you wouldn't want that, now, little bitty side kick, now would ya? :D

Brian
12-21-2001, 05:21 PM
Don't copy XBox games, k thx. 'Nuff said.

ShannonX
12-21-2001, 05:49 PM
way i see it.with computer games, i'm never buying a game i haven't downloaded and tried first. You cant rent PC games like you can console games. So untill you can rent a PC game....screw em, i'll just download off a newsgroup so i can see if i want to spend 50 bucks on a worthless pile of smouldering dung.... :D

monkeyman
12-21-2001, 06:42 PM
i have money so i can buy games

Dmbman17
12-21-2001, 07:48 PM
Well i think burning or copying a game is good and bad for the companies its bad but for me its good so its your choice.

Also this is a great site but http://wwwxboxhacker.net is a great site to and they dont break laws as the name may suggest ok peace

K Dawg
12-21-2001, 09:35 PM
yo terrapin, in your ending thing, it said currently playing "gta3"

i didnt think that game comes out until february sometime?

please enlighten me:D

terrapin
12-21-2001, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by K Dawg
yo terrapin, in your ending thing, it said currently playing "gta3"

i didnt think that game comes out until february sometime?

please enlighten me:D

I play GTA3 on my "PSo2" (Playstation 2 in Maximus lingo). Actually, that's about the only game I've been playing on my playstation lately...huh. I've been so busy with my Xbox that I haven't even been playing it all that much. As for when it's getting released for the Xbox I am not that sure. Sadly I haven't been following it since I already have it and don't plan on getting it for the Xbox.

Rochey69r
12-21-2001, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by VAN

edzactly right van!! im on your side mate

GokuX
12-21-2001, 11:57 PM
I assumed the dual layer format prevented copying so far. I guess when DVD burning becomes more common like CD burning then someone will be able to make a copy with newer hardware. Anyway I have a problem with people who say "down with MS," "Linux rules so much dudes." I mean I know who you people are, ure the same person that went out and bought 2 friggin copies of Win 95 on its launch day and then bragged to all of your friends about how Winodws rules so much. Now ure just a bandwagon jumper and hate MS cuz they're making so much freakin money. I guarantee U 100 percent that if the creator of Linux didn't make it free and tried to make money off of it and became wealth all of you same fools would be screaming "down with Linux," and "____ OS is so awesome dudes." U can deny it here but I know you did and know U are. If ya hate MS so much quit buying all their products and go Linux only, "but whaa I can't cuz MS has so much stuff I hafta use it" oh please another excuse. Stop buying MS products, else quit ure friggin complaining.

ShannonX
12-22-2001, 02:38 PM
nope, 50 bucks really isn't that much if you dont go overboard on spending... :D Thats why i decided to stay on at best buy even though i really dont want to. those 10 - 15 hours a weekend are what will be buying gas for my car and buying games....haha the other 20 hours a week at my other job will go to expenses like cell phone and internet etc.....

but i agree, if you decide you have to download something.....and like it, at least go out and buy it to show your support.

An example, i was thinking about buying Empire Earth for the PC, i downloaded it and tried it, but i decided that i didn't really care for it much. So I deleted it and dont play it. If i'd had liked it, i would have went a baught it.....

Heyyoudvd
12-22-2001, 04:19 PM

Heyyound...d a m n, you are a bold dude. Your response here has absolutely no merit for justification. Just because your crappy computer can't handle Windows ME doesn't mean that it is a bad OS. I have a buddy that uses Windows ME and he loves it! I mean, you have no right to complain about that one, dude. Let's say you decide to go out a purchase a brand new car but it cannot handle the various pot holes on your road. Do you now feel like it's justified to steal tires, parts, accessories, and car fresheners from the same dealership you bought the car from? You make no sense, dude. Reading your posts on these forums is a waste of eye radiation from this computer screen.

I'm not the only one that thinks that M.E. is a piece of s.hit. Nearly everyone who's used it knows that it's complete garbage and does nothing aside from crash all day long. I have to admit that XP is really good (even though microsoft can see right into your computer with it), but Windows M.E. was just a stupid ploy to sell a s.hitty product and make more cash from consumers.

BTW, if my computer's too crappy for it, then there are very few people that would actually run it, since I'm on a Dell Pentium 4 w/ a Geforce 3....

So, your analogy about the tires is irrelevant.

terrapin
12-23-2001, 02:19 AM
I have Windows ME on my computer and haven't experienced a crash since I installed it. I know that a lot of people have difficulties with it and claim it is a buggy operating system but it's been very stable for me.

LynxFX
12-23-2001, 02:35 AM
ME also cost a measily $50 for an OS upgrade. Doesn't sound like they were trying to milk you out of your money when every other OS has been costing $80-100 for the upgrade.

I didn't like ME though and no one was putting a gun to my head saying I had to upgrade. I was using Win98 1st edition since it came out with no problems. Went to a dualboot with Win2k Pro and since XP came I have been running that solely. Very nice OS.

Frostberg
12-25-2001, 07:23 PM

I'm not the only one that thinks that M.E. is a piece of s.hit. Nearly everyone who's used it knows that it's complete garbage and does nothing aside from crash all day long. I have to admit that XP is really good (even though microsoft can see right into your computer with it), but Windows M.E. was just a stupid ploy to sell a s.hitty product and make more cash from consumers.

BTW, if my computer's too crappy for it, then there are very few people that would actually run it, since I'm on a Dell Pentium 4 w/ a Geforce 3....

So, your analogy about the tires is irrelevant.

If you want to complain, might as well say a Dell computer is a waste of money. All they do is use cheap mobos and accessories and make a bundle just to call it a dell. Windows ME didnt really do much, but than again it was cheap like Lynxfx said. Win SE 2nd edition was still better. And I dont think advertising your video card will have any effect if your computer crashes or not. I dont think that its gonna be like "Sorry, Your video card cant handle the increased output to the monitor of Win ME!!"

motto
10-17-2006, 03:09 PM
OK Folks:

Reading your comments to Game Piracy does give me a positve feeling about our nation's youth, but were not talking about the "Starving Kids of Africa" or "The War Povirshed Nations Fund". We are talking about the Richest Companines in the World. Do your homework.

"The Rcihest" - REDMOND, Wash. — Jan. 26, 2006 — Microsoft Corp. today announced revenue of $11.84 billion for the quarter ended December 31, 2005

SONY reported a 122.6 Billion YEN Sales & Operationg Revenue, just from their GAME Division. That's $1,031,465,622.68 in case your wondering

Nintendo: Nintendo Reap Biggest Annual Profits Since 2001
Posted by: Leigh Stringer at April 4, 2006 6:44:09 PM
A weak yen combined with the massive popularity of the Nintendo DS portable in Japan have garnered $807 million of net income for the company for the financial year ending March 31.

Something tells me the majority of these postings are coming from young adults who do not pay for any of thier gaming, much less anything else.

Infraredragon
10-17-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't really have anything to add to this thread, except that I agree with what maximus said 5 years ago. Piracy is wrong.

I'm glad this got bumped, I'm inspired to become a much better member now because of it. We need more discussion like this.

Reclaimer
10-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Holy crap dude, you bumped a 5 year old thread.. why?

Half of the posters in this thread aren't even on this site anymore to defend their points.

mattgame
10-28-2006, 09:51 PM
Some have gone on and actually have lives now..................................:cheers:

thatdude222
10-31-2006, 07:31 PM
I'm against pirating games in circulation. I am not, however, against the pirating of older games no longer bieng printed. NES roms? yes please! they are impossible to find, and the developers aren't bieng hurt.

Crazy Joe
11-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I'm against pirating games in circulation. I am not, however, against the pirating of older games no longer bieng printed. NES roms? yes please! they are impossible to find, and the developers aren't bieng hurt.

that argument may not fly anymore once the Wii comes with the virtual console games.

kamikaze666
11-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Who says you have to pay $50. Just buy used or "pre-played" games. You can get a buttload of games on the cheap if you're willing to wait a while and then get them used. If you're really worried about buying used games just ask the store clerk to see if can check if the disc works correctly. Besides, I'm pretty sure developers don't want to give away years of hard work for free, let alone the publishers.