PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo's fire sale??

Highlite23
09-25-2003, 10:52 PM
Is Nintendo feeling the heat??

XBOX sales have been up as of late and show no reason of slowing.

Nintendo announces price drop for GC to $99.99 and is planning a "Limited" bonus for buyers of the Glacier or Arctic Game Boy Advance.......a free E-Reader, Donkey Kong E, and a pack of E cards.

Draw your own conclusions.

Kraft
09-25-2003, 11:10 PM
This is kinda funny. Everyone used to compare the Xbox to the Dreamcast and now it seems the Gamecube is suffering that fate. One thing is for sure though: 99 bucks is a hot price for that system and they will definately start selling quicker now... especially with an 80 dollar difference compared to the other systems.

Voodoo_Vince
09-26-2003, 12:19 AM
I wonder if this has anything to do with the Rumor a couple of weeks ago about Microst and Nintendo Teaming up to defeat Sony??

Kraft
09-26-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Voodoo_Vince
I wonder if this has anything to do with the Rumor a couple of weeks ago about Microst and Nintendo Teaming up to defeat Sony??

I am seriously doubting this. Nintendo is a long established gaming company and will ride it out until the bitter end. Chances are if they ever fall completely out of the console race they will just go the way of Sega and develope games for each of the different consoles.

DIGITAL
09-26-2003, 02:28 AM
well they better plan an ill online service for there next system,but idoubt they will ever go under,but nintendo ,an sony plus microsoft should team up an make online games were system V.S sytem face off for dough an bragging rights,let all the fanboys brawl:p

noodleboy
09-26-2003, 06:52 AM
Nintendo's main problem is their dedication to GC/GBA connectivity, it's just not that important. They are almost forcing 3rd parties to develop both GC and GBA games that connect that most 3rd parties aren't even developing any games for them. As long as they have a steady stream of 1st party titles that sell anywhere from 750,000 - 1 million, they should be allright, not great though.

They just need to abandon the whole extra peripheral aspect and just use it casually. Obviously online is the way to go, I guess it's just going over their heads.

RenoXG
09-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by noodleboy
Nintendo's main problem is their dedication to GC/GBA connectivity, it's just not that important.

No. Nintendo's main problem is their dedication to old game titles. You could travel 1000 years into the future and there would still be the same Nintendo games. Mario Kart 3003, Donkey Kong World 3003, Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Milking a Title for All it's Worth, Wario's World 3003 etc.

jelgiad
09-26-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by RenoXG

No. Nintendo's main problem is their dedication to old game titles. You could travel 1000 years into the future and there would still be the same Nintendo games. Mario Kart 3003, Donkey Kong World 3003, Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Milking a Title for All it's Worth, Wario's World 3003 etc.

what the heck are you talking about....those games are the only thing thats keeping nintendo alive right now, everyone that i know w/ a gamecube, including myself, bought it for 2 games.....zelda and metroid

WynnFire
09-26-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jelgiad

what the heck are you talking about....those games are the only thing thats keeping nintendo alive right now, everyone that i know w/ a gamecube, including myself, bought it for 2 games.....zelda and metroid

Yeah, I bought mine for Zelda and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron. Plus for some other first party titles like; Super Mario Sunshine, Waverace, Super Smash Brothers Melee, etc.. Everything else I get for the Xbox.

Nameless00
09-26-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by RenoXG

Well Nintendo has been around for almost 20 years. If the Xbox makes it that far I'm sure they'll be sequels too. You can't blame a company for releasing franchise games, they sell.

jelgiad
09-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Nameless00

Well Nintendo has been around for almost 20 years. If the Xbox makes it that far I'm sure they'll be sequels too. You can't blame a company for releasing franchise games, they sell.

actually, to correct you, ninteno has been around in japan for like 100 years.....they've only been making video games for 20:D

CrazyCougar
09-26-2003, 08:11 PM
I'm glad I traded in my GC the other week before this price drop. Got $60 for it, plus another 40 for the accesories. At least I can say I owned a Nintendo product for about 6 months (I think I had the cube that long). So much for that though, cause that system is a joke in my opinion.

Got ESPN NHL and NFL with my trade in money. Probably worth 1000 times more than the gamecube itself.

Flood
09-27-2003, 12:35 AM
hmmm...if they're gonna be $99 new, then used they'll probably be around $79 or less....hmmm....might have to pick one up someday down the road for the few good games it has (mario sunshine, zelda, mario golf, mario kart, etc..)

Variation-XBA
09-27-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA
and is planning a "Limited" bonus for buyers of the Glacier or Arctic Game Boy Advance.......a free E-Reader, Donkey Kong E, and a pack of E cards.

My store is already getting ready for this promotion, cause it's Nintendo month for us in Oct.

SPARTAN VI
09-27-2003, 03:09 AM

I'd give you a cookie... but I dont have one...

Those few titles- Marion, Zelda, Metroid, etc- would be my only reason to purchase a GC... which is a lot more reasons than I had to buy an Xbox. But I did anyway because Ghost Recon + Live play appealed to me. Innovation and potential are what really grabbed my attention... Nintendo likes to recycle a lot, which isn't bad, but when does is it enough?

l Maximus l
09-27-2003, 03:19 AM
If kids exist, Nintendo will exist. I will give Nintendo some props because they do have a solid marketshare with kids, bar none. But, I think the major problem is that they need to steer away from the "cutsie" image. Yes, I realize that Resident Evil is on the GC...I know I know I know....but, to me, it just doesn't feel right slipping a half assed disc (small disc) of this dark and ruthless game into a cute little purple cube. :D

But seriously...The XBox appeals to all ages... Microsoft did it right...the green and black beast is continuing to prevail and I have a gut feeling that in 2 years, it will be the market leader...even breaking Sony's records.

The entire arguement of the XBox not having as many games as the PoS2 has completely disapated...and now Microsoft's XBox will launch more games this Christmas season than the PoS2 and the GC combined. :cheers:

borka105
09-27-2003, 09:37 AM
the gamecube just has had a bad rep. since the very beginning

I have a really good friend who owns a gamecube and there is no denial that they have probably the best first party games......

for $99, why not buy a gamecube just for Metroid, F-Zero, Mario, Super Smash, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox, Resident Evil, Vietiful Joe............

they have the best and most addictive single player games..... that appeal to all ages.

the cube has always sparked my interest and if it were to fall into the maybe 79.99 range, I would pick it up right away.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the xbox gives you is the mature games...... Hell YEAH!, I want to go on LIVE and play all those FPS, sports games, and racers. The xbox is the adrenaline packed console that brings the action and satisfies all the mature gamers........

they have kept there promise and like Max has said, there Holiday Line-up is unreal!

-borka105

Variation-XBA
09-27-2003, 01:10 PM
Eww....starfox :P

l Maximus l
09-27-2003, 01:31 PM
borka...

While I agree that Nintendo makes some of the most solid first party exclusives, I still wouldn't say they are the best....but, I guess I am in that place right now in my life. If I was a teenager, I would probably steer more towards the opinion that the GC had better first party titles... I just can't play platformers anymore....that's just me.

ShannonX
09-27-2003, 04:48 PM
hmm, i may have to buy a gamecube now, always said i might when the price went below $100. =)

Highlite23
09-28-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Flood-XBA
hmmm...if they're gonna be $99 new, then used they'll probably be around $79 or less....hmmm....might have to pick one up someday down the road for the few good games it has (mario sunshine, zelda, mario golf, mario kart, etc..)

Flood & Shannon, buddy-ole'-pals-of-mine, Game Stop sells used GC with the same 90 day warranty for $69.99.

Knock off my discount.........$55.99:D

borka105
09-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by highlite23-XBA

Flood & Shannon, buddy-ole'-pals-of-mine, Game Stop sells used GC with the same 90 day warranty for $69.99.

Knock off my discount.........$55.99:D

do you have an online discount of some sort?

like a code to give you a discount when you order from them online?

I would pick-up a gamecube in a heartbeat for 55.99.

-borka105