PDA

View Full Version : Should I exchange my Xbox???

SBC31
09-28-2003, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I have an original Xbox that I bought in March of 2002 (and paid full pop....d'oh!). I got the 2 year extended warranty with it at the time. I hear lot's of people have exchanged the original box for a new one since for some games the frame rate would be bad, and some freezing issues. Not sure if the problems listed above are regular wear, but I also hear the MS has changed the DVD player 2 time since the first batch of Xbox's to possibly address the issues, or maybe they did this for contractual reasons?

My question is: Should I then exchange my Xbox for a new one since the extended warranty is still in effect. I've had rare freezes with mine, but I'm thinking before the warranty is over, maybe I should simply exchange it now.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed.

p.s. I play Sports and Racing games only.

Ford Mustang
09-28-2003, 05:01 PM
I bought my XBox on Launch Week, and I have never had any problems, ever. I have gotten about 3 DDEs since then. NOT a major issue for me. Until you start actually seeing problems, I see no reason to exchange your old Xbox. :)

Kortiz
09-28-2003, 05:16 PM
i got a billion dde with the first espn game i bought..........that was the first time ever that i had a problem

i think i did have a game freeze up on me one time, but nothing since then and that was like a year ago......anyway i got a new espn disc from Circuit City, btw great service......and haven't looked back since.

if i do get any problems, i hope it happens before Jan. 8th......

Papke
09-28-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Fosho
i got a billion dde with the first espn game i bought..........that was the first time ever that i had a problem

i think i did have a game freeze up on me one time, but nothing since then and that was like a year ago......anyway i got a new espn disc from Circuit City, btw great service......and haven't looked back since.

if i do get any problems, i hope it happens before Jan. 8th......

So all your DDE problems in that thread you made were from a bad disc? I have a launch xbox too, and I've never had a DDE but I'm starting to worry they might be just around the corner.:watchout:

AlBoogy
09-28-2003, 10:27 PM
I say exchange A.S.A.P. You probably have an outdated dvd drive to. The newer ones play burned discs (dvd and cd-r). That alone is worth the trade in.

AlphaRaptor
09-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Na, keep it. My freind has a release version and he's never had a prob with it. I bought one 3 months after the XB was released. And no you wont have bad FPS in some games. The new XB's use the same exact hardware as the release ones. If fact the new ones have a slightly "cheaper" video card. However, not cheaper as in less FPS. It was mainly a 100% phisical change to the the video cards exterior. Only to save a dollar or to on each on every XB sold. But hey, thats several $1,000,000 saved.

l Maximus l
09-29-2003, 01:47 AM
My $299.99 launch XBox fried and smoked like a cow patty in a snow bank. I bundled the puppy up, stinky as hell and all, and said that I just bought it and it doesn't work. I was handed a gleaming new and fresh XBox with the updated DVD drive and this thing purs better than my cat.

No more crunching sounds or anything. You can tell that the DVD drive is 100 times better in a new XBox compared to the Launch boxes. That's my 2 cents. :cheers:

SBC31
09-29-2003, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the info everyone, maybe I should have done a poll to see what would be the consent.

I guess that since I have had no major problems, I should keep the original launch Xbox. Although, a new DVD player would be nice. I guess I will wait until the new year to see if all goes fine. I have the 2 year warranty until March 2004.

Thanks again for all the info.

IlliniFan86
09-29-2003, 03:01 PM
I've had my xbox since release day and I play it a lot and haven't had any problems, I will have an occasional freezing (not many) and have only had a handful of DDE's. I have a friend who got a newer xbox and he has had multiple problems with it, so I'm gonna stick with my old xbox for now, until it kicks the dust (hopefully not for a long time, knock on wood).

CharlieHustle
09-30-2003, 08:57 AM
i had mine since launce and i only had like 2 dde's and 1 game freeze on me. If im right, next month, mine will be two years old. I heard about the newer ones play cdr's and rw's or dvdr's. but so what. If i want to play music, ill turn on my stereo system. I have no problem with mine and i am not thinkin about exchangin it.

Arven
09-30-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
My $299.99 launch XBox fried and smoked like a cow patty in a snow bank. I bundled the puppy up, stinky as hell and all, and said that I just bought it and it doesn't work. I was handed a gleaming new and fresh XBox with the updated DVD drive and this thing purs better than my cat.

No more crunching sounds or anything. You can tell that the DVD drive is 100 times better in a new XBox compared to the Launch boxes. That's my 2 cents. :cheers:

"like a cow patty in a snow bank" lol.

Here's my story: Launch-date Xbox. DDEs became a problem over the past few months (esp with PotC, RTCW, and KOTOR), accelerating until they were happening every half hour or so. I traded my old one in for a new one; it cost me $80. I love having a new Xbox: no more DDEs, no more hearing the laser search the cache in vain, no shutdowns even on the games that used to be the worst (e.g., RTCW)...you can really tell the difference.

studepaber
09-30-2003, 11:53 AM
Arven - Did you send it to Microsoft for the trade or at a video game store? I'm thinking about doing the same thing (I don't have a warranty) because I've had my share of DDE's and some games NCAA Football 2004 and Tiger Woods 2004 bog down at times (not sure if this is game or xbox-related). Ghost Recon will work for about 4-5 minutes then always freezes :(

mattgame
09-30-2003, 01:55 PM
I traded mine in so do what you feel you must. Neither one of my boxes gave me any problems.:D

Arven
09-30-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by studepaber
Arven - Did you send it to Microsoft for the trade or at a video game store?

I traded it at EB for a new one. They gave me $100 trade-in credit on the old one, no questions asked (they just plugged it in to make sure it worked).

I called Microsoft, and they wanted $100 to repair it, plus I'd have to pay for the shipping one-way, making the total about $120. At the end, I'd have a refurbished Xbox. I figured I'd rather have a new one for $60 more.

No regrets. I love my new Xbox. :)

Titty
09-30-2003, 03:39 PM
got mine 2nd day it came out and paid like 750$ CND :|

but ya i recently got new one because my old one kept freezing and not reading games properly. thats blaintly because the old xbox's have a old harddrive to where the most recent ones have a new Samsung harddrive which is better.

l Maximus l
09-30-2003, 06:17 PM
I actually have two new XBoxes...when my first one fried, I ended up buying a new one the same day.

Then, I returned my old XBox for a new one at a local retailer and they exchanged it for me at no cost....so, I have two of them which makes for convenient System Link gatherings :D

Xebec
11-19-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by CharlieHustle
i had mine since launce and i only had like 2 dde's and 1 game freeze on me. If im right, next month, mine will be two years old. I heard about the newer ones play cdr's and rw's or dvdr's. but so what. If i want to play music, ill turn on my stereo system. I have no problem with mine and i am not thinkin about exchangin it.

The problem with doing that is soon your extended warranty will be over and when, not if, when you have problems, you will have to purchase a new one. In one sentence you have had 2 dde's and 1 game freeze. In another sentence you say you have no problem. You'll be back complaining after your two year warranty has expired and your xbox no longer plays games.

adillon
11-20-2003, 12:59 PM
please pardon my n00bishness ... but what's DDE??

SiGuy
11-20-2003, 02:16 PM
dirty disk error

I've had my xbox for around a year and a half now and I have had ONE dirty disk error and thats on a seriously scratched disk. Only problem I've ever had. The way it sounds I can consider myself lucky

adillon
11-20-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by ManoWar
dirty disk error

I've had my xbox for around a year and a half now and I have had ONE dirty disk error and thats on a seriously scratched disk.
so are we talking about the game CD, or the xbox's internal disk?