PDA

View Full Version : Anybody playing Halo PC?

FragMaster B
09-29-2003, 01:30 PM
I wish I was. My computer at home is straight duke tho. From what I've been reading, I'm missing some GREAT MP action with more vehicles, maps, etc...

Who can I live vicariously through? Maximus-XBA I'm sure...

jelgiad
09-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by FragMaster B
I wish I was. My computer at home is straight duke tho. From what I've been reading, I'm missing some GREAT MP action with more vehicles, maps, etc...

is it out yet? ill be getting it as soon as i get the money (i get paid tomorrow :D )

FragMaster B
09-29-2003, 01:55 PM
is it out yet?

DOH! I thought it was. Ships tomorrow.

Shadow20002
09-29-2003, 02:01 PM
If i have a super computer, i will get it !! :D

# 1 Stunner
09-29-2003, 03:52 PM
if i remmber right, me dark, and silvertrace were talking about this last night, this game will be badass if u have ur xbox closs to your computer...

l Maximus l
09-29-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by FragMaster B

lol, dude...I wish I was getting it...my computer is likely not powerful enough to run it. My XBox even has a faster processor than my computer...my computer only has a 600mghz processor and the XBox is over 700. lol I do have the XBox beat on the hard-drive, though :D

Personally, I'm going to wait for Halo 2 instead of spending a few hundred bucks on this computer for upgrades. It seems more practical since I prefer playing the legendary Halo with my XBox controller and sitting on my couch in front of my 50" HDTV :D

Xbox Owner
09-29-2003, 05:04 PM
I heard you'll need a computer that like will run Doom 3/HL 2 to run Halo.:(

FragMaster B
09-29-2003, 05:19 PM
lol, dude...I wish I was getting it...my computer is likely not powerful enough to run it. My XBox even has a faster processor than my computer...my computer only has a 600mghz processor and the XBox is over 700. lol I do have the XBox beat on the hard-drive, though

Ditto.

Personally, I'm going to wait for Halo 2 instead of spending a few hundred bucks on this computer for upgrades. It seems more practical since I prefer playing the legendary Halo with my XBox controller and sitting on my couch in front of my 50" HDTV

Again, Ditto... except for the 50" part :( . I'll have to get a little closer to maximize the 32".

FragMaster B
09-29-2003, 05:21 PM
if u have ur xbox closs to your computer...

Why? U gonna meet in the Chat Lobby on the box so you can use the headset while you play?

Ford Mustang
09-29-2003, 06:18 PM
I don't think I will buy this game. It would be awesome, and if I can get it cheap, I probably will. The multiplayer maps and vehicles and stuff are awesome.

I'll probably be like Maximus and just wait for the one game we're all waiting for, Halo 2. :D

ShannonX
09-29-2003, 06:21 PM
after playing around with it, i have to say i can do so much more with a controller movement wise. Certain movements are harder or near impossible with the keyboard and mouse.

Other than that, its a blast. =)

wbio
09-29-2003, 08:38 PM
It's pretty fun, I'm just not into pc gaming though, like having my controller, but the extra vehicles are awesome ;)

Stormlord
09-29-2003, 09:48 PM
I might get it just for multiplay. But I'm pretty sure I won't be able to pull off all the "stunts" I can do very easily with the analog stick. Hell I like messing with the banshee making it spin around looking uncontrollable and just when I'm about to hit the floor I stop several feet from touching the ground. :D . I hope I can still do that. But I think I'll sit this one out and just get the new Empires game from Activision. RTSs are my PC vice.

Off topic: Anyone actually interested in Goblin Commander? If it does good I'll pray for a sequal.

To those that get Halo PC, enjoy. Hope to see you on the battlefield some day. :cheers:

Lucifer_Hawk
09-29-2003, 09:50 PM
same here, pc gaming is not my style, even though I play ut2003 and war3 the Frozen Throne every day! I much prefer console gaming and I have always beent hat way, so I am just going ot wait for Halo 2. Although, my friend bought Halo for pc, and he said the graphics are really improved, and the multiplayer is good, but I wilol have to see for myself.

Stormlord
09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
I don't really see any graphical upgrades, atleast from the screens I've seen. Maybe just extra shine-mapping. But maybe I'll have to see it in action to notice.

DocHoliday78
09-29-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Stormlord
I don't really see any graphical upgrades, atleast from the screens I've seen. Maybe just extra shine-mapping. But maybe I'll have to see it in action to notice.
Well you need to get some glasses becasue this game is awesome running w/ resolutions in the 1200's and up. It is pure magic. If you got the pc to run it i would definetly recommend you try it out.

JJaX
09-30-2003, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Shannon-XBA
after playing around with it, i have to say i can do so much more with a controller movement wise. Certain movements are harder or near impossible with the keyboard and mouse.

Other than that, its a blast. =)

Like what?

I have it too, its pretty cool, but i need more ram.

And the game looks great at higher resolutions and a super smooth frame rate.

I got a Geforce 4 Ti 4400 and it looks pretty sweet. But like i said before, i need more ram to make the framerate more constant.

Stormlord
09-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by DocHoliday78

Well you need to get some glasses becasue this game is awesome running w/ resolutions in the 1200's and up. It is pure magic. If you got the pc to run it i would definetly recommend you try it out.

So the graphical upgrade is higher res? Then obviously it's not worth it if my Xbox version has the very same graphics. Plus some people have been saying it's just as much as a system hog as Unreal II. I definately will sit this one out. I'll just get an HDTV and view my Xbox version on high res then if they're identical to each other. Only thing is multiplayer. But hey there's still Xboxconnect. :D

JJaX
09-30-2003, 05:37 PM

So the graphical upgrade is higher res? Then obviously it's not worth it if my Xbox version has the very same graphics. Plus some people have been saying it's just as much as a system hog as Unreal II. I definately will sit this one out. I'll just get an HDTV and view my Xbox version on high res then if they're identical to each other. Only thing is multiplayer. But hey there's still Xboxconnect. :D

Uhhhh yeah, of course higher resolutions equals better graphics.

WoW halo at a higher resolution on your HDTV. You must have a special xbox copy that supports higher interlace modes made just for you. Good luck with that........

l Maximus l
09-30-2003, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by JJaX

WoW halo at a higher resolution on your HDTV. You must have a special xbox copy that supports higher interlace modes made just for you. Good luck with that........

:rofl:

Stormlord
09-30-2003, 06:58 PM

I very much do. :D

JJaX
09-30-2003, 07:42 PM

I very much do. :D

Send me a copy :D

Stormlord
09-30-2003, 08:00 PM
Maybe I will. But seriously don't most Xbox games support HDTV anyways? Even some Gamecube games don't show that it supports EDTV or HDTV on the box but in the manual says it does. Well anyways there's a new line of tvs from Pioneer that can increase resolution and supports 4:3 and 16:9. It has an internal processor for raising the res. Only prob is that the highest res is somewhere like 1700x900 or something like that . I had the magazine with the info but strangely I can't find it. On the good side it'll increase the res on all the images, but any images that can go higher are actually lowered to its standard. Well I'll still stick with my Xbox Halo. I refuse to pay top dollar for a game that will kill my PC but run fine on a console. Maybe I'll build a home theater PC in Januaury. I can get free high res and Anti-aliasing from the HDTV so all the card has to handle is rendering the images and anisotropic filtering. :cheers:

l Maximus l
10-01-2003, 01:29 AM
On my 16x9 (widescreen) HDTV and my XBox tied in with Component video cables (blue, green, and red video cables), I must say that Halo on XBox looks breathtaking compared to a tube running composite cables (yellow colored video cable).

Yes, I realize the Halo disc for XBox is not formatted for widescreen, however, the game still looks amazing as always even if it's a tad stretched out. In fact, a person would be hard pressed to notice unless it was pointed out by someone that knows it's being stretched out.

One of the reasons Halo PC will look better on the PC versus the XBox version is due to the fact that all of our computer monitors are in digital versus analog. Digital transmission is progressive and will naturally bring out higher resolutions, brighter and crisper colors, and clarity when compared to an analog TV.

Brevity
10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
I was seriously thinking about picking this game up. It sounds great.

AlphaRaptor
10-02-2003, 12:19 AM
Got the PC, just need the $$.:D

WynnFire
10-02-2003, 06:32 PM
It's fun playing multiplayer. A lot of people go after the banshees first though. The extra maps are cool, CTF is really fun when you have a lot of people. The only downside is THE LAG!!! AHHHHH!!!! I played a game with 4 people and it was smooth, then one person came in and the whole game went to SH*T! It was painstakingly SLOOOOWWW!!! The grass is really nice on the PC, the flamethrower is fun, and the plasma grenade launching device takes up half the screen. All in all, it's the same game as the Xbox just with multiplayer on line, and MINUS THE CO-OP! I recommend it, only if you have a powerful enough PC. Mine stutters a little bit on the single player game. I'm still keeping Halo for the Xbox.

l Maximus l
10-02-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire
It's fun playing multiplayer. A lot of people go after the banshees first though. The extra maps are cool, CTF is really fun when you have a lot of people. The only downside is THE LAG!!! AHHHHH!!!! I played a game with 4 people and it was smooth, then one person came in and the whole game went to SH*T! It was painstakingly SLOOOOWWW!!! The grass is really nice on the PC, the flamethrower is fun, and the plasma grenade launching device takes up half the screen. All in all, it's the same game as the Xbox just with multiplayer on line, and MINUS THE CO-OP! I recommend it, only if you have a powerful enough PC. Mine stutters a little bit on the single player game. I'm still keeping Halo for the Xbox.

Is there bullet delay?

JJaX
10-02-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA

Is there bullet delay?

When i played i didnt notice any lag.

XBC is a whole different world of lag. Your movement is delayed like early builds of quake on a 28.8 modem.

WynnFire
10-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Is there bullet delay?

Only when there is someone playing with a modem, or has a slow cable connection. I'm going to overclock my video card to see if I can get a little improvement on the single player game.

Click here to see why Gearbox says it's slow (http://www.3dgpu.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=426)

mastermind
10-02-2003, 09:28 PM
iam keen for some new maps iam going to give it a try...

l Maximus l
10-02-2003, 10:15 PM

When i played i didnt notice any lag.

XBC is a whole different world of lag. Your movement is delayed like early builds of quake on a 28.8 modem.

That's good to hear about Halo PC. Too bad not everyone is on Broadband otherwise you would likely never lag at all. That's one cool thing about XBL...all Broadband.

By the way...WTF is up with that siggy?! BWAHAHAHAHA! :D

Troy
10-02-2003, 11:29 PM
Halo PC runs alright on my comp. I prefer playing on the xbox though because it looks better. That's because my pc is starting to become an antique. It is nice being able to use a mouse and keyboard, but I don't need those for the game hehe. Although I do get kicked around in halo online for the xbox.

Knight
10-02-2003, 11:37 PM
Looky Looky we got a newbie mod.

X-Fan
10-02-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Troy-XBA
Halo PC runs alright on my comp. I prefer playing on the xbox though because it looks better. That's because my pc is starting to become an antique. It is nice being able to use a mouse and keyboard, but I don't need those for the game hehe. Although I do get kicked around in halo online for the xbox.
who are u?:D

Troy
10-03-2003, 12:09 AM
hehe, well not meaning to sound rude or anything, but I'd rather not talk about that in this thread. Don't want to take away from the original topic. You can catch me in the chat room or just message me online sometime if your curious. :D

E Nomini Patri
10-03-2003, 06:23 PM
I was gonna grab it at Wal-Mart, but they were sold out :) Gotta get it this weekend I guess.

Hehe, JJax, your sig is friggin sweet :rofl:

No Fear 23
10-03-2003, 06:38 PM
can somebody tell me the specs that u need to be able to run halo on pc?

i think there should be a small infomation about that on the box of the game. i would appreciate it. thanks

Variation-XBA
10-03-2003, 10:40 PM
733mhz, 32mb video minimum, but it will look like a$$

Im loving the new maps...banchie wars are fun :D

l Maximus l
10-04-2003, 11:58 AM
I think Halo PC is going to knock Counter Strike off the #1 on-line PC game spot. We'll see :)

JJaX
10-04-2003, 06:36 PM
I think Halo PC is going to knock Counter Strike off the #1 on-line PC game spot. We'll see :)

Hmm i dont know about that. PC FPS game tend to be faster paced. And halos game speed might be a turn off for most.

l Maximus l
10-05-2003, 01:14 AM

Hmm i dont know about that. PC FPS game tend to be faster paced. And halos game speed might be a turn off for most.

Well, nobody is perfect :D

But, just watch...we'll see. Too bad the PC Counter Strike is extremely out of date. However, the XBox version is going to be sweet. I read up on it and they have polished the entire game up to more current standards, all levels and maps are available on the XBox version in regards to the PC version, and they are adding 7 additional exclusive maps on the XBox version...of course, this doesn't include Dowloadable content :D Should be tighter than a frog's ass

Variation-XBA
10-05-2003, 01:22 AM
Should be tighter than a frog's ass

I won't ask..

And yes, it will roxor the pc version ;)

FragMaster B
10-05-2003, 03:32 PM
I won't ask..

Keeps the water out doesn't it?

DocHoliday78
10-05-2003, 08:36 PM
I dont know if anyone is gonna make the same noise CS did when it first came out. Halo PC didnt revolutionalize (sp big time) anything about fps except crappy game coding that makes the system req's way to high.

WynnFire
10-06-2003, 01:55 AM
Just in case no one read the page of the link I gave,

HERE IS THE REASON WHY HALO RUNS SLOW ON PC's!

A number of reviews out on the internet stated that performance, even on a high-end system, in Halo PC is pretty low. A lot of people have gotten worried about it, and this prompted a response by Randy Pitchford of Gearbox to give a statement about it. Here's what he had to say:

Halo PC is fast for what it's doing. And it's doing a lot.

Halo for Xbox wanted to be locked at 30fps running at an interlaced 640x480, but often dropped frames during the tricky scenes.

On the PC, you guys tend to want to run in resolutions that are drawing 1,000 times more pixels than what your Xbox and your TV could do. I want this too - it's how I'm playing the game now. If you're doing this with video hardware that is roughly comparable to an Xbox and you're turning on graphics settings that the Xbox didn't offer, you're guaranteed better performance than what the Xbox could do (the game is much more optimal now) but frankly you'd be a bit foolish to expect triple digits of FPS under those conditions.

The video hardware of the Xbox is roughly equivalent to a pixel shader 1.4 card, but it has several custom things about it that make it quite a bit faster than even the most recent video cards with the applications that are designed for it (such as Halo).

Halo for PC is more optimal - it's faster code as it's had more time to be optimized and it had direct attention from programmers at Bungie, Gearbox, Microsoft, the leading hardware manufacturers, and the DirectX team.

Halo for PC has four graphics pipelines and loads of graphics options in the menus and command lines. You can trade performance for graphics as much as you like. I personally recommend getting as many graphics features as you can while keeping the game locked at no worse than 30 FPS. I'm able to do this fairly easily even with my home machine - a GeForce 4ti with a P4 1.6ghz and 512mb of RAM. I don't know what you guys are doing...

The coders included the -timedemo feature to help you tune your performance and compare cards against one another. The feature is honest and rigorous (the -timedemos are running the most intesive pixel shaded scenes in the game - scenes that were designed to be non-interactive where performance isn't as crucial). We hope that this feature is used not as a measure of average performance during game play (because it is not), but as a metric for doing benchmark comparisons from one system to the next.

In any case, you'll find that on high end cards with users who fiddle with options like AA and AF the game tends to be fill rate bound. That's natural for a PS 2.0 game and setting a new benchmark for performance is the price Halo has to pay to be the first FPS that's really pushing your card by asking it to use the pixel shaders that it wants to support. I expect reasonably comparable performance from some of the other upcoming PS 2.0 games (although these games may make different trade offs with scalability or other factors like physics and animation complexity, geometry complexity, pixel shader complexity and other things like AI that may affect the CPU).

The bottom line, though, is that Halo is fun and the code is fast at what it does (it's doing a LOT). Is was that way when we got it and some of the smartest programmers available from hardware manufactuers, the DirectX team, Microsoft, Bungie and Gearbox worked very hard and very long to make it do more things even faster than before.

If you're less interested in the quality of the game than you are in seeing a high FPS number, there are plenty of games using DirectX 7 graphics engines that will likely satisfy you.

In the mean time, I'm playing Halo on-line and I'm loving it.

At the end of the day, I finally get to play Bungie's masterpiece on my PC, in high resolution, with a mouse and keyboard and play multiplayer over the internet. The experience is better than I anticipated it would be when the guys got started and I think that every bit of their effort has been worth it. It's the game I want to play and the game I will be playing for many, many months.

If you guys want to copy my sentiments here on any other boards where this kind of discussion comes up, feel free.

I'm proud of the hard work the engineers have done and I'm thankful I get to play this incredible game Bungie made as I've long wanted to play it.

-Randy Pitchford

JJaX
10-06-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by WynnFire
Just in case no one read the page of the link I gave,

HERE IS THE REASON WHY HALO RUNS SLOW ON PC's!

I wasnt reffering to performance issues whan i said halo was slow. The gameplay is really sluggish compared to most PC FPS games.

WynnFire
10-06-2003, 02:17 AM

I wasnt reffering to performance issues whan i said halo was slow. The gameplay is really sluggish compared to most PC FPS games.

Sorry, I didn't see your post. You're right though, running around, driving warthogs, etc... is pretty slow. By the way, WTF is that in your sig? It looks like some kind of demonic but happy slug/llama thing. :rofl:

skorp
10-07-2003, 01:24 AM
My friends and I hopped online (Halo PC) and it was crazy fun!!!!

OMG I didnt realize how huge it is right now. There was so many servers available already. and I noticed about and average of 12+ people in each... Deathmatch,CTF,etc.... DAMN!!!

I can imagine how crazy it would be when Halo2 comes out w/Live support.... WOOHOO!!!

:cheers: