PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Media Center Released

Shadow20002
10-02-2003, 11:07 AM
XboxMediaCenter (XBMC) is a new free open source (GPL) multimedia player for Microsoft's Xbox. XboxMediaCenter is still in beta stage but can currently be used to play and view most video/audio/picture formats such as MPEG/MPG, VOB, AVI, OGM, DivX, XVID, MP3, OGG, JPG, GIF and many more direct from a CD/DVD in the DVD-ROM or of the Xbox build-in hard disk drive, it can also play files over a network (LAN) from a PC via an "XStream Server" application or from a Windows (SMB) share. It has playlist + slideshow functions as well as the ability to function as a full replacement Xbox dashboard. These and more features enables the Xbox running XboxMediaCenter to fully function as a multi-media jukebox. XboxMediaCenter also known as "Xbox Media Center" or simply "XBMC".

This project is what the active official Xbox Media Player developers have been working on in secret for the last 4-6 months. This does not mean the Xbox Media Player is dead, official and unofficial developers will still be adding new code and maintain it but the lead developers will be focusing on XBMC. Remember that XBMC and XBMP are hobby projects and are only developed by volunteers in their spare-time for free.

Source@ (http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/)

l Maximus l
10-04-2003, 12:00 PM
I was reading up on this...this thing is actually bad ass! The XBox Music Maker is going to be pretty sweet. I strongly doubt I would use the karaoke part of it, however, streaming music from your PC, photos, and other stuff is going to be sweet :)

FragMaster B
10-04-2003, 02:50 PM
I knew about the music. Didn't know about the photos from PC. I've been holding out on upgrading the Tivo for Photos on the TV waiting to see if this would be offered. SWeet.

rockola
10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
the xbox media center and the xbox music maker are 2 different things. the xbox media center needs to have a modded xbox to work and its similiar to the MS media center os for media PC's. the xbox music maker is the new music cd/game thats coming out for the xbox

No Fear 23
10-04-2003, 09:18 PM
for the xbox music maker, DZNUTZ/Ninja/JJax should battle it out online freestylin.

l Maximus l
10-05-2003, 01:12 AM
The XBox Music Maker also allows you to cut out the words of your favorite tunes so you can Karaoke to it. Isn't that pretty sweet?

That's a bad ass feature on this...I wonder how that works? I can see me now: "It's gettin' hot in here, so why don't you take off all your clothes?"

canadianboi3
10-05-2003, 01:28 PM
I was also wondering how it could cut the words out of the songs. That would be cool if you could make your own remixes too. Like, put the words from one song onto the beat of another. You can sing online against people right?

DocHoliday78
10-05-2003, 01:35 PM
I dont think you can do that. I could be wrong but i doubt you can.

Shadow20002
10-05-2003, 04:48 PM
We will know soon, very soon !!!