PDA

View Full Version : how do you setup a DD 5.1 home theater?

PENGUIN112
12-21-2001, 09:19 PM
Ok so I just went to bestbuy and bought a new TV, receiver and speakers and the guy said i needed to get speakerwire because for som4e reason the set of speakers I bought didnt come with any. Now I ditnt buy any there because there were so many to choose from and I have no idea about home theaters, as this is my first. So whats the difference between monster cable speaker wire, acoustic research speaker wire and the cheap speaker wire? And is there any guides online that will show me how to do everything? I guess I need some kind of thing to put over the wire also. And I saw the speakers in the store has red and black on the back. On a spool of wire, is one long rope thing have both wires in it, or in the spindle do i need to use double. I dont know if that sounded right...I jusyt want to know if I need to buy double, one for each of the connectors. If there is some simple pictures somewhere that I can look at or if there are comparison sheets somewhere. Also what is the difference between the guage of a wire...

-CLUELESS NEWBIE

Hugh_Jass
12-22-2001, 12:03 AM
Typically, you wouldn't want to use any speaker wire provided by the manufacturer because it's about the same grade as doorbell wire.

All the hardcore home theater fanatics use 12 gauge speaker wire. Personally, I think that's overkill. I used 14 gauge in my theater.

There is a difference between expensive speaker wire and cheap speaker wire. A lot of people like Monster Cable but there are even different grades of that. The bottom line is that most people won't notice a difference. If you've got entry-level audio gear then I wouldn't worry about the best wire money can buy.

I've only ever seen bundled pairs of speaker wire. Sometimes the wire itself is colored differently. Most often you will see that one of the wires is marked with a line (or a dash). It doesn't matter which you use as red or black as long as you're consistant.

XboxAddict04
12-22-2001, 08:24 PM
Ok i just found out today that the surround sound my dad is getting is dolby digital 5.1 ...... Now one last time 2 get this straight, bear with me:D

I just need an advanced AV pack (not HD because i dont have a HDTV) and a optical cable if i want true 5.1 surround.
And all the cables except the optic cable are included( i assume just 2 RVA cable and a S-Video right?)

right?

oh and from the box i couldnt see an optical port, there is one right?

:confused:

thanx

LynxFX
12-22-2001, 10:32 PM
Yes that is all you need.

1)Advanced AV Pack
2)Optical Cable

The optical cable plugs into the AV Pack, not the Xbox(since there isn't a connection)

Have fun, Dolby Digital gaming is intense when it is used. :D

XboxAddict04
12-24-2001, 08:42 PM
LOL thanx everyone i thin i finnally got it:D

Well i let ya know how the 5.1 surround works tomorrow:D :D :D :D :

well thaz if i get an xbox:p