PDA

View Full Version : walmart question. busted xbox

beef747
10-08-2003, 05:32 PM
Hello, I have read recently that you can take the original launch Xbox's back to Walmart and get them replaced for free. If this is the case, do I need the original box it came in and do I just bring all the original contents. I dont see why it would matter, if they take the system by the serial number, besides the box got wet and bloated like a dead corpse :(

Do you just walk up and tell them, you have an original broken xbox and that they have a replacement plan?

And what is the safest way to remove all the xbox live information, do I just delete a save file in the HD directory? Thanks for the help.

l Maximus l
10-08-2003, 05:52 PM
I have never heard of Walmart doing that at all. Personally, what I would do is run out, buy an XBox from Walmart...get the new one...put your old one in the cardboard box and return it and say that you just bought it but somone just bought one for you as a gift so you already have one! lol :D Or something along those lines.

Don't worry, this doesn't hurt Walmart in any way shape or form...all they do is ship it back to Microsoft, they refurbish it and sell it again for a discounted price. If your XBox broke because of mechanical reasons, then, I think Microsoft should be obligated to take care of it. But, if you dropped it and it broke that way, then, morally, I wouldn't return it...just buy a new one.

You can probably transfer your saves on memory card (or as much as you can). XBox Live, however, has an account recovery option...so, you don't have to worry about saving your XBox Live subscription on a memory card. When you get your new XBox, just go the Account Recovery section and type in the appropriate info and you're back in action :)

beef747
10-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Well I did have some hope in this situation until I called both Walmart and Microsoft and they told me I needed a receipt and that my warranty expired. F**k you MS for denying that the original xbox had any sort of problems with it, and calling it a rumor. I think I will indeed buy a new system and use some sort of sticker removal and get this barcode and serial off my new xbox and apply it the old one and return it. This has happened to me 2 times now and I am sick of this BS.

beef747
10-08-2003, 07:03 PM
Do they scan two seperate barcodes, 1 thats located on the system box and one thats on the system itself? ( yes i am paranoid)

I cannot remember if there was a little window on the box that displayed the serial on the system along with another barcode.

I dont imagine its that big of a deal but i dont want them to scan both and have some sort of mismatch appear. Also when returning the opened box with the old system in it, will they refuse it if its been opened or do I just tell them its defective and just get the system replaced? i am desperate and crazy yes.

Kortiz
10-08-2003, 07:19 PM
always...

i repeat, always get a 2 year warranty.

ALWAYS

ALWAYS
ALWAYS
ALWAYS
ALWAYS
ALWAYS

beef747
10-08-2003, 07:37 PM
as of lately i have been, on HD and such, but I dont think they offered a 2-year warranty with my system, maybe they did i dont remember

Variation-XBA
10-08-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by beef747
F**k you MS for denying that the original xbox had any sort of problems with it, and calling it a rumor. This has happened to me 2 times now and I am sick of this BS.

dont like it, then dont support them. Mines worked flawless since day 1, so :P

If you didnt get the 2year warranty, then it's your own fault. You think anything electronic is going to last forever?

god bless exchange warranty's

X-Fan
10-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Variation

dont like it, then dont support them. Mines worked flawless since day 1, so :P

If you didnt get the 2year warranty, then it's your own fault. You think anything electronic is going to last forever?

god bless exchange warranty's
exactly i bought mine on feb 6 2002 and it had given me one dde and no other problems.my uncle just bought one and his got messed up because of the power failure in manhattan nyc so i talked to the xbox reps and they replaced it for my uncle.the whole process took 8 days.

CMX Jedi
10-09-2003, 03:44 PM
i think i shuld get the 2 year warrenty but i think my warrentys allready up :(

Variation-XBA
10-10-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by dudeman48174
i think i shuld get the 2 year warrenty but i think my warrentys allready up :(

If you got it at launch, you shoudl have till next month, thats when mines going to mysteriously break and I need a new one a day before my warranty runs out..

:)