PDA

View Full Version : Xbox2

deadbolt
10-09-2003, 10:52 AM
If someone has already done a post on this sorry for bringing it up again but I have to know, what do you guys think of the route they are taking with X2.
If I remember correctly when xbox came out they talked about how they were focusing mainly on games and not trying to become the hub of your entertainment center like the ps2. But now they are talking about the tivo features and file transfers from your computers, and even with the release of the new music program for the xbox (cant remember name) they are showing the desire to branch out and become the new sony of your household, does anyone else think they are changing the game plan for pure profit or do these things all make for a better gaming experience.
Before I go let me mention that yes i know its a buisness and they are trying to make money so lets bring up stuff other than that ;)

RudedogX
10-09-2003, 10:56 AM
As I said in a previous post, it's inevitable that this is the path that the consoles go. People will not continue to pay out money for a simple video game machine once they are able to purchase a tivo type of device in addition to a console and possibly dvd writer or whatever else they choose.

Batman_wanna_be
10-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Will you be able to play Xbox games on Xbox2?

RudedogX
10-09-2003, 11:01 AM
I'd be shocked if you couldn't.

deadbolt
10-09-2003, 11:02 AM
I think it would probably be pretty stupid of them not to include backward compatiblitly with their new console because there will probably still be plenty of people playing halo 2 matches :) if it lasts as long as the first game has.

Batman_wanna_be
10-09-2003, 11:05 AM
Cool that is all i care about becasue i live in the middle of nowhere and will porably never have DSL so as along as it playing Xbox games that is good enough for me.

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2003, 11:06 AM
Batman_wanna_be, we are not working on the XBox 2 for microsoft, we have no idea. Until details are released (not for at least another year I would think) we will have no idea.

I was under the impression that the whole idea of the Xbox from the beginning was to be the hub of your household entertainment system. Thus the DVD playback, audio cd playback, digital audio storage and playback and uber-HiFi connections. I am pretty sure Microsoft even said in one of their press releases that the idea of the Xbox and future consoles was to be the hub of everyones entertainment center (IE: Living room).

Batman_wanna_be
10-09-2003, 11:09 AM
I know the xbox does all that and it will be along before Xbox2 but the way they where talking sounded like they knew about what the xbox2 is going to be able to do

deadbolt
10-09-2003, 11:11 AM
Oh, I understand what they are doing, the best decision would be to branch out its just that i remember Ed Fries (sp?) saying that "the xbox will focus on being the gaming machine for the hardcore mature gamer and instead of trying to cover every aspect of home entertainment we will focus on making the best games on any system out" or something along those lines ;)

Duke
10-09-2003, 11:15 AM
Actually deadbolt, he did say something very much like that. But look for xbox 2 to be much more of a central entertainment hub.

It will have to be to remain competitive. Can't remember the exact question that statement was in response to, but I think/know(?) that the nextbox will be much more than a gaming platform.

mattgame
10-09-2003, 11:18 AM
I guess that we have to wait for more info on this. I just hope that it continues to improve on the overall gaming experience as the Xbox already has. I am confident that it will.

Shadow20002
10-09-2003, 11:20 AM
Backwards will be the first feature i request to include in the second version Xbox.

deadbolt
10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
Thanks dukebuckhorn i was starting to think i was just dreamin that up :) But I believe your right about it having to grow to compete, I just hope that the growth produces some really kick ass new ideas because to be honest, and I believe I speak for a few of you, i didn't spend 300 dollars so i could watch a dvd or kick back at night and listen to all my cd's being played through television speakers.

MerimacHamwich
10-09-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by deadbolt
i didn't spend 300 dollars so i could watch a dvd or kick back at night and listen to all my cd's being played through television speakers.
Niether did I, I did it so I could listen to audio through my Panasonic Dolby Digital 5.1 Home Theater System and look at crisp clean images on my 43" Widescreen Hitachi HDTV. Gotta love Toslink Digital Audio and Component HDTV video.

deadbolt
10-09-2003, 11:42 AM
lol yeah, well i guess it is a little better now that i have surround sound but still little 27 in tv damn i suck lol

NeosNightmare
10-09-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by deadbolt
I think it would probably be pretty stupid of them not to include backward compatiblitly with their new console because there will probably still be plenty of people playing halo 2 matches :) if it lasts as long as the first game has.

yea i meen if halo 2 is gonna kick as much ass as expected...backward capatibility is a must. and of course theres other games that ur also gonna wanna play on the nextbox.

mattgame
10-09-2003, 01:09 PM
What do you guys think the launch title will be?

LynxFX
10-09-2003, 01:21 PM
I don't think it ever has been a secret that the Xbox and future versions were going to be the next step of microsoft getting a strong hold on the entertainment hub (computer in your livingroom) market. They have created every piece of the puzzle, Xbox, Replay TV, Media Center, HTPC OS and have gained an audience for each. Now put them all together and they have reached their goal.

The Xbox was just the 'entertainment' gaming piece of that puzzle. So I expect Xbox2 to follow the same lines and to start pulling those pieces together.