PDA

View Full Version : LAN Cable?

Brutus
10-09-2003, 04:22 PM
I asked every store this same question and I can't seem to find an answer. I know I can always turn to the baddest site around with the biggest gamer guys on earth and they would help me out.

I need to hook two Xboxes together. One from my living room with the DD 5.1 to another one, about 40 feet away with a whole different stereo attached.

So I need to know if it's the regular Cat 5e cable with a Hub that I need. Am I right and no one else runs into this? Or am I wrong and I am very glad I got in touch with all of you guys?

Thanx

-BRUTUS!

thrAsher
10-09-2003, 04:35 PM
The hub and cat 5 is one way to go, or you can use a crossover cable for a direct connection w/o using the hub.

CMX Jedi
10-09-2003, 05:00 PM
i dont hava anyone to lan with (im so lonely *crys*)

Brutus
10-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Dudeman,

I didn't have anyone to LAN to for forever, but nowI have my very own set up and I'll have people bringing the booze and food. Life is going to be very cool at my house from here on out.

Adawg
10-11-2003, 01:00 AM
I think thats what Im going to do when I go "A" school...I was going to buy a new Xbox with 4 paddles and get another copy of Halo, and buy 2 copies of halo 2...then have lan parties in my room..I was also thinking of having peeps pay $10 to put in the pot and have the winner take all...a cool $80 bucks made real fast...I can't wait.

l Maximus l
10-11-2003, 02:01 AM
Brutus...

The XBox works like a computer when it comes to networking. Here's the rule of thumb:

When you are connecting two hardware units (two computers, two XBoxes, or a Computer to an XBox) together WITHOUT the presence of a Hub, Switch, or a Router, you simply use a CAT 5 crossover cable.

However, if you have a Hub, Switch, or a Router, you must use CAT 5 Patch cables.

The cables look the same, however, the wires inside are flip flopped. In fact, if you hook two patch cables together, you will get a crossover. Add a third patch cable to that and you will go back to a patch. Not many people know this, but, it's kinda interesting to learn if you don't know.

shawns20
10-11-2003, 02:11 AM
System link is the best reason to own an XBox. Cograts on your LAN setup, save me seat near the fridge !!!

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/2D/12/XBoxXtreeeem/2/8.jpg