PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Online vs PS2 Online in Austrailia

Shadow20002
10-12-2003, 01:59 PM
Xbox Cons: As a fully managed service, XBox Live requires a credit card subscription, although local subscription pricing is yet to be announced. As a rough guide, pricing in the American market, where XBox Live launched last November, currently sits at US$49.99(~AU$72.50) for twelve months or US$5.99(~AU$8.70) per month. The single username sits with users through every game, so it's not possible to customise your username to suit specific games. The 128kbps minimum is very slow, which could lead to unnaceptable lag in some games against some players. As a central service, if the XBox Live server goes down, no gaming would be possible at all.

PS2 Cons: While there's no subscription games as yet, there's nothing stopping individual game vendors from offering subscription games down the track. The Network Adaptor must be installed onto the PS2, although this isn't a terribly difficult procedure. At launch there are only two first-party titles that are online capable -- SOCOM: US Navy Seals and the bundled Hardware Arena, although some other third-party PS2 games, such as Tony Hawk and FIFA 2004, are also online capable. Changing games on the PS2 requires a full reboot and re-login.

Source@ (http://www.zdnet.com.au/gamespot/news/story/0,2000011229,20279475,00.htm)

Amin0
10-13-2003, 04:59 PM
For me, the fact that you have to connect the PS2's heatset to the PS2 itself, and not a controller makes it a pain to play on. I have a 42" HDTV which I sit far away from so I don't get cancer... I don't wanna have to sit on the floor infront of it because the damn PS2 headset's cord is too damn short. That just ****es me off.

Yeah, Xbox has subscription fees for some of their games, but hey, those games pretty much suck... If you want to play a good MMO game, play it on the PC. You'll be playing with more mature people, which will make for a better MMO experience. Not that Xbox gamers aren't mature, it's jsut that there are more people who ARE mature playing MMO games on the PC.

PS2 is getting all the cool games from EA to be online as well. That kinda stinks, but then again, all of those games are coming out for PC as well, so if you have an Xbox and a PC, you're pretty much set for all of this year's, and early next year's online joy.:D

l Maximus l
10-13-2003, 11:24 PM
If you ask me, comparing XBox Live and the PoS2's on-line service is like comparing a Ferrari Testorrosa with a Ford Pinto, respectively.

Also, it's interesting how the article doesn't mention anything in regards to lag issue on the PS2 on-line network. WTF? I played SOCOM on the PS2 and lagged like an S.O.B. the entire time.

XBox Live kicks the ass of PS2's on-line network...it's not even funny.

Uchiha Sasuke
10-13-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Maximus-XBA
If you ask me, comparing XBox Live and the PoS2's on-line service is like comparing a Ferrari Testorrosa with a Ford Pinto, respectively.

Also, it's interesting how the article doesn't mention anything in regards to lag issue on the PS2 on-line network. WTF? I played SOCOM on the PS2 and lagged like an S.O.B. the entire time.

XBox Live kicks the ass of PS2's on-line network...it's not even funny.

Funny I own a slew of online titles for the PS2 and I never had lag issues.

l Maximus l
10-13-2003, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Substance Snake

Funny I own a slew of online titles for the PS2 and I never had lag issues.

You may have a great connection. But, if you only had 128k upload, as they were quoting the example with XBox Live (and failed to mention with the PS2), you would run into lag issues. Of course, with both systems you would. What is lame is PS2 also allows dial up...bwahahahaha! That's basically unplayable....

I have great upload, so I don't lag at all...and I have phenominal download. 3.5M down and 768k up. It's nice :)