PDA

View Full Version : Surround system Troubles HELP...

DeaDfeTuS666
10-12-2003, 09:54 PM
Ok i bought a new 6.1 onkyo surround system and ive been trying to fix the fact that when i try to play games on it with 5.1 audio it makes horrible chirping noises...I am wondering if its the receiver or the Xbox cause when i play movies in 5.1 its Fine...And we also tried diffrent av packs also...:cuss: :cuss:

LynxFX
10-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Was your Xbox made in Mexico by any chance?

I recall way back when during the launch that their were problems with the audio chip in launch Xboxes that came out of Mexico.

DeaDfeTuS666
10-13-2003, 12:05 AM
...Yeah Mexico...

I have tried 2 seperate HD packs and both the 15 dollar cable i bought and my friends 60 dollar Monster cable and the second HD pack and cable work fine on his Yamaha system. On my system in either case During any game, even the select screen of the demo disc, the sound cuts in and out and pops and chirps. the dashboard sound and the like works fine, and the reciver reads Digital input. DVDs, and the dashboard and start up sounds all work fine, but ANY in game sound with DOLBY surround enabled on the XBOX itself causes the symptoms, if the receiver is switched to stereo, the same symptoms continue.

But once I TURN OFF dolby surround with turns off the dolby digital automatically in the dash board, even ifI leave dts on, the sound in the games is fine, and the reciver has no problem with the sound

BCan
10-13-2003, 09:58 AM
I have an Onkyo 6.1 Surround unit myself, and have never had an issue in regards to it working with my XBOX. I have my TV/VCR, DVD, XBOX and PC all running through it, only the TV/VCR without digital input.
It is a very good unit, sounds rather good, especially with a good set of speakers.

Definitely sounds like the output of the XBOX is no good, which is really unfortunate.

Duke
10-13-2003, 10:14 AM
Didn't want to make a whole thread, but since this is somewhat related and current, just thought I'd ask.

I'm trying to decide if I should buy a surround 5.1 system or an HDTV first.

Surround I could do now, HDTV, take awhile to get enough dough for a good one. Was thinking about buying a $900 cheapie, but I figure if I'm gonna go, I should go big.

I play online a lot and have heard plenty of people singing the praises of surround sound as far as hearing where people are moving and whatnot, but HDTV is just so appealing.

I only have a small space, so either one is not going to fit too well in my room, but I'm willing to make space.

BTW, currently playing on a 27" Phillips.

Chaotic
10-13-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by DukeBuckhorn
Didn't want to make a whole thread, but since this is somewhat related and current, just thought I'd ask.

Surround I could do now, HDTV, take awhile to get enough dough for a good one. Was thinking about buying a $900 cheapie, but I figure if I'm gonna go, I should go big.

I play online a lot and have heard plenty of people singing the praises of surround sound as far as hearing where people are moving and whatnot, but HDTV is just so appealing.

I only have a small space, so either one is not going to fit too well in my room, but I'm willing to make space.

TV :cheers:

LynxFX
10-13-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by DeaDfeTuS666
...Yeah Mexico...

I have tried 2 seperate HD packs and both the 15 dollar cable i bought and my friends 60 dollar Monster cable and the second HD pack and cable work fine on his Yamaha system. On my system in either case During any game, even the select screen of the demo disc, the sound cuts in and out and pops and chirps. the dashboard sound and the like works fine, and the reciver reads Digital input. DVDs, and the dashboard and start up sounds all work fine, but ANY in game sound with DOLBY surround enabled on the XBOX itself causes the symptoms, if the receiver is switched to stereo, the same symptoms continue.

But once I TURN OFF dolby surround with turns off the dolby digital automatically in the dash board, even ifI leave dts on, the sound in the games is fine, and the reciver has no problem with the sound
Sorry to say it, but it's the Xbox. You should be able to get it repaired even if it isn't under warranty by MS. Just explain the situation. This was their problem, not yours. If they say they can't do that, just give them hell.

Duke:
I would say get the surround sound now and save for the TV. Only reason is that you can afford the SS now and if you wait, HDTV's will drop significantly right around the holiday season and probably right after as well. You may end up getting a better tv for a cheaper price.

l Maximus l
10-13-2003, 11:39 PM

Go with the HDTV, hands down. Even the stock audio on a projection HDTV will be a vast improvement to your 27" Phillips now. As for a 5.1 DD SS system, you can pick up a decent box set that sounds good. I bought one for $299.99 and am loving it! Yeah, it may not blow the roof off of a warehouse, however, it just about blows the window out of my home theatre (which is obviously smaller than a warehouse :D)

FragMaster B
10-14-2003, 12:31 PM

Hmm, the obvious choice is a TV. But, surround sound REALLY imersses you in the game. I might say go for the sound if you can get it nown and a TV purchase is in the faaar distance. It IS intense when you can hear someone walking up behind you in GR or hear some Covenant grunts coming in from off the screen.

I remember once playing GR and laying there under a bush scoping out a field. I heard somebody running up behind me, so I layed there all still and just hoped they didn't see me. Sure enough, they walked right by. So, I stood up and capped him in the back of the head. Stuff like that makes the SS a must.

DeaDfeTuS666
10-14-2003, 04:05 PM
yeah i called micosoft and asked them About it and they SAID it would COST ME like 99 to ship it to them ******* it...:eek:

LynxFX
10-14-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by DeaDfeTuS666
yeah i called micosoft and asked them About it and they SAID it would COST ME like 99 to ship it to them ******* it...:eek:
That is BS. I would get on the phone with them again and explain to them that this was a documented flaw found on units that came out of Mexico during a certain time period and that they sold you the faulty product. It isn't something that just happened to break, it was always that way. You just never knew about it because you didn't have a surround setup before now. Be respectful but also don't let them walk over you. Don't take their answer as gospel. If the person you talk to says it can't be done, ask to speak to their supervisor, and keep doing that until you find someone that gets it done.

Hopefully this will work out for you. Paying $100 to fix something that wasn't your fault isn't acceptable no matter how long it has been. In the car industry, if they find a faulty bolt 10 years down the line, they fix it for free no matter who owns it.

Viper87227
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

That is BS. I would get on the phone with them again and explain to them that this was a documented flaw found on units that came out of Mexico during a certain time period and that they sold you the faulty product. It isn't something that just happened to break, it was always that way. You just never knew about it because you didn't have a surround setup before now. Be respectful but also don't let them walk over you. Don't take their answer as gospel. If the person you talk to says it can't be done, ask to speak to their supervisor, and keep doing that until you find someone that gets it done.

Hopefully this will work out for you. Paying $100 to fix something that wasn't your fault isn't acceptable no matter how long it has been. In the car industry, if they find a faulty bolt 10 years down the line, they fix it for free no matter who owns it.

adn if that doesnt work..threaten to eat his first born child :watchout:

DeaDfeTuS666
10-15-2003, 12:08 AM
yeah it was the Xbox Definetly ...Tried my best buddys and it worked perfectly....

BCan
10-15-2003, 07:53 AM
I'd even try and get a 6.1 system, instead of a 5.1. A lot of the bigger movies from the studios are also mixed in either DTS ES or Dolby Digital EX, the extra channeled version of these surround encoding formats.

Any decent surround system would also allow a stereo signal to be split across the six channels too, so watching TV would be good too.

l Maximus l
10-15-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA

I agree....I would tell them exactly that. Especially since it is a known problem for any XBox coming out of Mexico..it's a flaw that they have to take the bullet for...not you.