PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Modem????

gtaplayer
12-22-2001, 09:03 PM
hello, recently i have become dumbfounded about the Xbox Modem...I kno its used to speed the loading of the games but what else...once u have da modem and u have halo can u g oon online multiplayer and just start playing or how does that process work??? Or do u need a computer and have Broadband Modem...or can u just use a 56k modem...any1 know??? thanks again

LynxFX
12-22-2001, 10:28 PM
Ok sounds like you are a wee bit confused. :)

First, there is no xbox modem.

The xbox comes with a built in ethernet jack which is used for broadband connections. It doesn't affect the speed of games at all. No modem does, that isn't what they are used for.

Right now Microsoft's official online gaming network hasn't been launched. It will go online this coming Spring and you will have to have a broadband connection like DSL or a Cable connection. Right now people are playing online though through a virtual hack. Gamespy.com has made this very easy on for you to do. You will need a PC connected to the net via a broadband connection. You will need to install their software on that pc (gamespy arcade and their tunnel program). You will then connect the xbox to a hub which is connected to your computer and DSL modem or Cable modem. You connect to games like Halo through that. So far there are only 3 games that are working like this.

Halo
Tony Hawk
and some sports game, name escapes me right now.

Once Microsoft's system is online you will no longer need the pc to connect but you will still need the broadband internet connection. There are no plans for a 56k solution which I'm glad about since those players would just bring down the game.

Hope this helps a bit.

Frostberg
12-23-2001, 06:54 PM
There is not, nor will there ever be a "Xbox Modem" It is broadband ready for a reason. Games demand too much for anything but broadband. Halo itself requires 128KBps up per person just to play online...However it was ment for a 100MBps LAN so it isint that bad. Once the MS network rolls out, im sure there will be some way to condense what you send so it doesnt require so much bandwidth, but it still wont be enough for a 56k modem.

Brian
12-23-2001, 06:57 PM
It was rumored that you could buy an attachment of some sort to enable 56k online play. Even IF that was going to happen, I sure would hope they'd make special SLOW CONNECTION servers on online games and deny them from going to the FAST CONNECTION servers.. :D:D!

anuj
12-23-2001, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Brian
It was rumored that you could buy an attachment of some sort to enable 56k online play. Even IF that was going to happen, I sure would hope they'd make special SLOW CONNECTION servers on online games and deny them from going to the FAST CONNECTION servers.. :D:D!

I hope so, i'm on cable and when i play online games i hate those **** laggers on 56k...Messes up the entire game...

Frostberg
12-23-2001, 08:11 PM
but with how much games demand...I dont see how 56k is possible. 56k does not sot send at 56k....you are lucky to up 5KBps...Halo requires 128KBps....

DT21
12-23-2001, 08:13 PM
Where did you encounter this rumor Brian?

gtaplayer
12-23-2001, 08:26 PM
im not saying im gonna go on servers w/ a 56k...im used my 56k on counterstrike 2 many times to get blown in da head...im gettin my self one of them cable modems

Brian
12-24-2001, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by DT21
Where did you encounter this rumor Brian?

Gaming chatroom. :p