PDA

View Full Version : Orson Scott Card-Advent Rising Q&A

Brevity
10-13-2003, 07:58 AM
Source (http://www.homelanfed.com/index.php?id=17890)

Famed science fiction writer Orson Scott Card has work in games before but for the upcoming Glyphx/Majesco PC-Xbox action game Advent Rising he will be doing a lot, including both writing the script to the game as well as an Advent Rising novel. While Card is extremely busy of late, he did take the time to answer a few of HomeLAN's questions about his involvement in Advent Rising.

HomeLAN - What attracts you in working on a game project?

Orson Scott Card - I'm attracted to games that tell a story with difficult decisions for the player-character. A game in which all you do is run and shoot, acquiring weapons and boosting health points, doesn't really leave much scope for a writer to create anything except, perhaps, mildly amusing dialogue. But when there are tough choices to make, which can actually affect the flow of the game, I roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Now this game really sounds good, I bet its a long way off though.
AR official site. (http://www.adventtrilogy.com/)

Dirty DeStrO
10-13-2003, 10:42 AM
If you haven't read any of this guys books ... go out and get Ender's Game .... awesome book and there are like 3 other books in the series. great writer ... cna't wait to see what he does with this game

thrAsher
10-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Dirty DeStrO
If you haven't read any of this guys books ... go out and get Ender's Game .... awesome book and there are like 3 other books in the series. great writer ... cna't wait to see what he does with this game 'Ender's Game' is a great book. Lot of fun to read. Any gamer would enjoy it, I believe, and it has one of the best plot twists ever, IMO. I haven't read the rest of the series, but 'Ender's Game' is great in itself.

Sodacider
10-13-2003, 12:18 PM
dude enders game is the ****tiest book
this guy's NOT a good writer
he is, however, a really awesome person. His game might be really awesome, too.
but hist literature doesn't fall anywhere into the realm of good or even great

thrAsher
10-13-2003, 12:38 PM
I suppose to label the book 'great' was misleading. It's a great read. The concepts and ideas are interesting and innovative. I wouldn't put Card on the same level as Steinbeck or Pablo Neruda or any 'real' author. He's a sci-fi writer, and no offense to the super-geeks out there, but sci-fi ain't really regarded as 'high literature', anyhow. At least not in my book. A sci-fi novel, or even a fantasy novel, is more like a comic book w/o pictures, really.

Dirty DeStrO
10-14-2003, 10:45 AM
I don't think that I agree with you on that one Thrasher. Although that is generally true when it comes to Sci-fi/Fantasy because the story itself is the focal point instead of the relationships between characters and the inner turmoil. In Sci-fi books authors generally spend more time developing the story as opposaed to developing the characters, but this isn't true for Card. I think that the Sci-fi story is just the backdrop for a the more difficult problems facing the charcaters and when you read some other books in the series you might see that more. Anyways, the next book was called Ender's Shadow and it is the same story but told through the eyes of Ender's best friend ... the small kid ... I can't remember his name.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but I just don't think that it is right to discount this book simply because it is Sci-Fi.

Arven
10-14-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Dirty DeStrO
... the next book was called Ender's Shadow and it is the same story but told through the eyes of Ender's best friend ... the small kid ... I can't remember his name...

Bean. I used to play on Live with a guy who's gamertag was Bean, and he usually had a friend alongside him named Petra. I didn't make the connection until after reading Ender's Shadow. I made fun of his name a couple times. Now I feel kind of stupid for it, since I had such a connection to the character of Bean by the time I finished Ender's Shadow. I don't see him around on Live anymore, though, so I can't apologize.

:(

Koopa
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Sodacider
dude enders game is the ****tiest book
this guy's NOT a good writer
he is, however, a really awesome person. His game might be really awesome, too.
but hist literature doesn't fall anywhere into the realm of good or even great

i love orson scott card. he's no asimov, but he's a great writer in his own way.
Ender's Game had me hooked, and i just recently read speaker for the dead, which had some very interesting concepts.

i never heard of this game till now, but now that i konw Card is involved, i'll keep my eyes peeled.