PDA

View Full Version : Xbox crash during movie, now locked at startup screen.

digitalchaos
10-14-2003, 02:21 PM
Hello everyone.

Recently I was viewing a movie on a friends Xbox, and it froze around the middle of the movie. It has done this once or twice before, so we shut it off & turned it back on. However, when it restarted, it locked during the logo screen. Several further attempts allowed us to access the music collection we had stored on the unit & play some. When we tried again the next day, it never went past the logo screen. Also during our attempts to start it, the LED ring would flash from green to red, indicating an improper video/audio connection; everything was connected properly.

The unit is now almost a year old, bought last December. It was not among the first units, it has the 2nd version of their visualization screen that appears during music play. No abnormal behavior has occured to the unit, it was in a climate controled room sitting on top a wood bookshelf w/ plenty of circulation room.

Any thoughts? My first was the harddrive as I heard clicking internally, but from the little info that I was able to gather from Google it looks like BIOS, power supplies, and other things can fail. I would like to fix it if possible, as I don't think its under warranty any longer.

Thanks

mitch2025
10-14-2003, 03:15 PM
green and yellow indicate improper video im not sure what green and red mean

spectre187
10-14-2003, 03:17 PM
seems like a bios problem to me, it could have gotten corrupted or damaged somehow, maybe u can reflash the chip with the xbox bios somehow...i dunno... to be honest even tho we aren't supposed to discuss it, i'll do it in a round about way, im not supporting piracy tho, but i do know that certain illegal chips contain bios that act in place of the xbox normal bios...that might solve your problem, and just to let the moderators know, i am not condoning piracy, and i have stated that it is illegal, and i didn't state anything about how to go about doing this, so please don't use this as an excuse to ban me... thanks :) or just get a new xbox...prolly a lot better off going that route, theres a guy online who buys busted xboxs for 50 bucks...

FuNkY mOnK
10-14-2003, 07:04 PM
call the gurus at the 1-800 number, bunch of good people there. :)

CMX Jedi
10-14-2003, 07:11 PM
call up microsoft and b*ch at them (1800-4myxbox)

spectre187
10-14-2003, 08:53 PM
if you call microsoft they will charge you practically enough to go out and buy a new xbox...

DocHoliday78
10-14-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by spectre187
if you call microsoft they will charge you practically enough to go out and buy a new xbox...
No not always true, My warranty was expired and i kept getting diry disc error. I called them up told them what was going on and they paid for everyting. They paid for air next day shipping both ways and fixed it up. Great help and i suggest you try it.:cheers:

spectre187
10-15-2003, 12:00 PM
thats great, but rare from what i've heard, anything is worth a try, simple phone calls are easier than doing it yourself too

Spaztic
10-15-2003, 12:27 PM
The Red/Green flash is either a bios or hd issue. I bet some important files got messed up on you hd!

spectre187
10-15-2003, 06:21 PM
i figured it would be the hd but he said it wasn't thats why i said bios, but the hard drive would make sense...