PDA

View Full Version : True Crime vs Grand Theft Auto

Shadow20002
10-17-2003, 02:00 PM
Anyway, pretty soon Activision is coming out with True Crime: Streets of LA, our attempt at a GTA killer, which will put us in the me-too ranks with other titles like The Getaway, Simpsons: Hit & Run, and Roadkill. Each of these products tries to differentiate itself from GTA a different way, be it "The Simpsons", or "A Post Apocalyptic Future", or "You're In A Movie" or whatever. How is True Crime differentiating? With one simple word: "truth." True Crime is going to be more True, that is, more Real than GTA. The driving, fighting, and shooting are going to be next level immersive stuff.

Sounds decent. GTA but better. I might buy that. I'll give this marketing effort a B.

But still, imagine Joe Sixpack Xbox owner walking into EB and saying, "I heard Grand Theft Auto comes out for the Xbox today." He'll see not only Grand Theft Auto, but also this True Crime game. "True Crime?" he'll say. "Supposedly like GTA but better? Well, how come I never heard of it?" And he buys GTA.

Source@ (http://gamedevleague.blogspot.com/2003_10_12_gamedevleague_archive.html#106601221090598342)

EHWfedPres
10-18-2003, 01:43 PM
True Crime better have custom soundtracks, and alot of stuff to do besides missions, because everyone knows thats that makes gta so good.

l Maximus l
10-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Personally, I'm not too stoked on the lock-on style shooting type games....similar to Dead to Rights. True Crime, while impressive in many areas, still boasts that annoying lock-on stuff.

MerimacHamwich
10-18-2003, 02:11 PM
So true Maximus. If they are boasting about it being more real then why do you lock on to enemies? I know I can't do that in real life. Maybe its just me, and you are all cyborgs who have an auto-targeting system. Or maybe when you join some sort of Armed Force you get augmented implants that allow you to lock on to enemies when you see them and hit them with every shot.

TuffEagle88
10-18-2003, 03:19 PM
I hate lock on aiming systems too, I haven't played dead to rights, but the one in Enter the Matrix sucked, you could be standing 5 feet from someone and you wouldn't hit him, you could also watch the bullets' curve. It worked really good once they got farther away though.

I'm gonna get the GTA pack because like EHW said I know that there is plenty of things to do besides the missions. I used to go over to my friend's house and play Vice City for hours and hours and never do one mission, just shooting cops, stealing cars, and picking up hookers:)
I hope that the codes are easy to enter while you are running away from a few tanks and a couple dozen FBI surburbans. :D

EHWfedPres
10-18-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by TuffEagle88
I'm gonna get the GTA pack because like EHW said I know that there is plenty of things to do besides the missions. I used to go over to my friend's house and play Vice City for hours and hours and never do one mission, just shooting cops, stealing cars, and picking up hookers:)

Yeah, thats what I would do...just drive around and get as many stars as possible and fight off cops and stuff like that. Thats what makes gta3 so good...there's so much to do other than missions...which there are alot of, and some are actually fun.

MerimacHamwich
10-18-2003, 05:16 PM
I never used a locking on system in Enter The Matrix...

Se7en
10-18-2003, 07:25 PM
My favorite part of GTA III was the vigilante missions- Nothing like stealing cruiser and hunting down the (other) baddies. I think that I'll probably wait for the reviews on TC, and get the GTA double-pack instead... As far as longevity and replayability, you can't beat a 2-for-1 deal. I just wish that these companies wouldn't release all the good games at once... It's been a dry past few months for me.

Some parity please?

ramprider0
10-18-2003, 07:52 PM
All I know is I'm getting GTA double pack for sure True Crime's soundtrack has too much gangsta rap for my taste:eek:

Voodoo_Vince
10-18-2003, 07:55 PM
I just get the feeling that true crime is more Hype than anything, and will end up getting a 8 out of ten at best , not that thats bad , an 8 game is decent , but with the Double pack coming out , I am sure that this suppossed GTA killer will be killed By GTA

EHWfedPres
10-18-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Voodoo_Vince
I just get the feeling that true crime is more Hype than anything, and will end up getting a 8 out of ten at best , not that thats bad , an 8 game is decent , but with the Double pack coming out , I am sure that this suppossed GTA killer will be killed By GTA

Yeah, the only thing that will kill GTA3 is GTA3 and Vice City together in the same package for 50 bucks. :cheers:

JJaX
10-18-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by MerimacHamwich
I never used a locking on system in Enter The Matrix...

Yes you did. It was automatic.

WynnFire
10-19-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by TuffEagle88
I used to go over to my friend's house and play Vice City for hours and hours and never do one mission, just shooting cops, stealing cars, and picking up hookers:)
I hope that the codes are easy to enter while you are running away from a few tanks and a couple dozen FBI surburbans. :D

Lol, that's all I do on the PC version. I downloaded a patch so it has real cars. (Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Porche's, BMW's, Mercedes, etc...All I do is jack cars, the cool Ducati 996's, and listen to mp3's while running from the police. Both in GTA III and Vice City. It's fun. I haven't done a mission in months. I can't wait to do it in True Crimes.

TuffEagle88
10-19-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by WynnFire

Lol, that's all I do on the PC version. I downloaded a patch so it has real cars. (Ferraris, Lamborghini's, Porche's, BMW's, Mercedes, etc...All I do is jack cars, the cool Ducati 996's, and listen to mp3's while running from the police. Both in GTA III and Vice City. It's fun. I haven't done a mission in months. I can't wait to do it in True Crimes.

too bad they aren't making the GTA pack so that you can download weapons, patches, and cars via live. :( That would have rocked.