PDA

View Full Version : New IGN Crimson Skies Review...

S37H
10-20-2003, 09:52 PM
They gave it a 9.1! This game has not been given under a 9.

Linky Linky (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/455/455722p1.html)

Kraft
10-20-2003, 10:38 PM
Bah, only review that counts is XBA's review :)

DocHoliday78
10-20-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Nick-XBA
Bah, only review that counts is XBA's review :)
Yeah..... We are talkin about the same site that gave NBA jam and Blinx a 4.5? j/k ;)

l Maximus l
10-21-2003, 12:59 AM
I read the entire review, mainly because the game is coming out tomorrow. One thing really bugged me about that review...the several references of Mechassault...that kinda worries me.

Se7en
10-21-2003, 03:41 AM
I thought the same thing about the MA references Max. I really hope that the single player mode in this game isn't too lacking. I still don't have XBL, and more than likely I won't get it for quite some time. Which sucks sometimes because some games that I really look forward to sometimes end up being geared more toward online play, and not so much single player, or even local multi-player. All in all though this game looks fantastic, and if I can track down a copy, I'll give it a spin soon.

SkoalMint
10-21-2003, 09:54 AM
I'm also kinda worried about the MA (and MM3) references, but I guess it was just to draw a comparison since all three are from Microsoft.

RudedogX
10-21-2003, 10:20 AM
I guess that makes 4 of us! Damn I hope there's not that many similarities between the two!:(

Duke
10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Make it 5. My biggest worry since I bought MA (doh) was that Crimson would be like it, but in planes.

No matter, will be picking this up as soon as they pull 'em off the truck tomorrow. I've bought into the hype on this one, just hope I'm not disappointed.

MerimacHamwich
10-21-2003, 10:33 AM
I already expressed my worries about the similarites before the review, just from watching some videos of the gameplay.

Seawolf1
10-21-2003, 07:11 PM
Not sure if it means anything, but I have the original PC crimson skies and it was a lot of fun on the PC. It's definantly not a flight sim which is what you mainly see on the PC, but when the PC version came out the first thing I thought of was "This would be great on the console"
The storyline is pretty cool and the graphics are really nice. It feels like your in a movie sometimes and the missions were a lot of fun. If this new Xbox version is anything like the PC version then it should be fun. It will be interesting to see what kind of missions they have for Live, but it sounds cool.

S37H
10-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Ya. I hear they remade the whole game, pretty much anyway. I hope it comes to Canada tomorrow. I can't wait.

Kortiz
10-21-2003, 08:50 PM
This weekend i get paid for 6 weeks of twiddling my thumbs...."work".....

I'm thinking I can spend 50 of it on a game......now.....I just gotta choose between Crimson Skies or Rainbow 6: 3.....

S37H
10-21-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Fosho
This weekend i get paid for 6 weeks of twiddling my thumbs...."work".....

I'm thinking I can spend 50 of it on a game......now.....I just gotta choose between Crimson Skies or Rainbow 6: 3.....

I was in the same dilemna, but I realized CSkies is the better bet. But go with what you want to.

PapaSKooT
10-21-2003, 09:53 PM
I'm still on the fence with this one...

(See MA comparisons) :)

S37H
10-21-2003, 11:16 PM
I didn't like MA. So hopefully this isn't near that game.

Koopa
10-22-2003, 12:18 AM
i loved rogue squadron 1 and 2
i loved crimon skies on pc
i kinda liked mechassault

so yeh.
im picking this up this week definitely.

NINE BREAKER
10-22-2003, 12:38 AM
I don't know what you all are talking about, MA is awesome. But either way, I don't want a MA in the skies. I want a dogfighting, barrel rolling, watch out for the AA gun, 16 player death match with no ground beneath our feat! Gonna pick this one up for sure. It did come out today, didn't it?

Koopa
10-22-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by NINE BREAKER
I don't know what you all are talking about, MA is awesome. But either way, I don't want a MA in the skies. I want a dogfighting, barrel rolling, watch out for the AA gun, 16 player death match with no ground beneath our feat! Gonna pick this one up for sure. It did come out today, didn't it?

i called my EB yesterday and they said they wouldnt get it till the 26th...but the lady on the phone sounded kinda retarded and i was pretty sure she was wrong so i called back today and a guy answered and said it'd be here tomorrow...and he didnt sound like a moron(*gasp*)

l Maximus l
10-22-2003, 01:11 AM
Did you guys also notice that in the review from IGN that the reviewer didn't portray his excitement that well? And, at the same time gave it a 91/100?

This still confuses the hell out of me. Kraft wrote a much better review, IMO... One doesn't have to play the game to realize this review was pretty lackluster.

I think Skoal made a great point, though. Since Mechassault is also a Microsoft Studios game, that's likely why they made the comparisons. Personally, I was initially more worried that Crimson Skies was more like Bloodwake, but in the air.

Regardless, I'm getting this game...but, I may not get it the very day it comes out. Fortunately, I have a brother-in-law that works for Microsoft and he can get me a company discount. I may as well as save $30 by waiting a few days. :)

Dark Enemy
10-22-2003, 01:15 AM
Mechassault is good but what it lacked was the lobby at first which cause alot of people to sell the game. Otherwise i thought the game was cool but ghost recon took up alot of my time back then.

Koopa
10-22-2003, 01:51 AM
i'm also getting mixed messages about lag...all other impressions from "less reputable" sites say lag is nonexistant..IGN says lag-free games are nonexistant..

which is it.

l Maximus l
10-22-2003, 02:19 AM
Well, Koopa...that's a great question....but, if you think about it, it's all about how the game is designed.

Take the first Ghost Recon as an example. I can host 16 dudes on there and have minimal lag issues...but, with Ghost Recon: Island Thunder, I can only host as much as 10 and have many spurts of lag...sometimes lasting as long as several seconds.

But, on the other hand, take a game like Moto GP and Moto GP2 where lag is extremely minimal to non-existent. I can host 16 guys on that and everyone is fine.

Hopefully Crimson Skies is similar to Moto GP in that regard. Know what I mean?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pro when it comes to why certain games may lag compared to others...but, I do know the outcome once I shove the disc in my XBox and host some games up.

LynxFX
10-22-2003, 03:40 AM
Crimson Skies is not Mechassault.

There I said it. Feels good.

MA wasn't that bad, but I sold it after playing on Live once because of the stupid lobby. Amazing how such a stupid little lack of a feature can ruin a game completely.

But anyway, I'll repeat this because I know more people will jump in saying "MA references scare me about this game" and say again: Crimson Skies is NOT Mechassault.

Koopa
10-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Lynxfx-XBA
Crimson Skies is not Mechassault.

There I said it. Feels good.

MA wasn't that bad, but I sold it after playing on Live once because of the stupid lobby. Amazing how such a stupid little lack of a feature can ruin a game completely.

But anyway, I'll repeat this because I know more people will jump in saying "MA references scare me about this game" and say again: Crimson Skies is NOT Mechassault.
all these MA references scare me. i hope this game doesnt turn into mechassault.

:D :D

S37H
10-22-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Koopa

all these MA references scare me. i hope this game doesnt turn into mechassault.

LOL! It won't.

soulhaloty
10-22-2003, 11:28 AM
haha this game sux monkey balls

LynxFX
10-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Koopa

Some one step on this turtle. :D

borka105
10-22-2003, 05:13 PM
that's actually a bad thing...... infact I hope this game is JUST LIKE mechassault....

because most of you have NO CLUE about what you're saying since you don't even have the game anymore...

for those that do, they would know that mechassault is probably the only LAUNCH XBL title that still has a huge userbase of original players..

Not only that, but people who have stuck with MA have been rewarded over and over and over...

Not only have there been 14 (i believe) d/l content updates, including whole new maps and mechs, but also an added lobby and talk icons.

the game is a complete package, and the only game on LIVE that has thus far received such great support.

-borka105

NINE BREAKER
10-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by borka105
that's actually a bad thing...... infact I hope this game is JUST LIKE mechassault....

because most of you have NO CLUE about what you're saying since you don't even have the game anymore...

for those that do, they would know that mechassault is probably the only LAUNCH XBL title that still has a huge userbase of original players..

Not only that, but people who have stuck with MA have been rewarded over and over and over...

Not only have there been 14 (i believe) d/l content updates, including whole new maps and mechs, but also an added lobby and talk icons.

the game is a complete package, and the only game on LIVE that has thus far received such great support.

-borka105

Man, I couldn't have said it better. I love MA, even offline. But none of my boys will play it with me no more, "You never give us a chance" blah, blah, whine, whine. Gaming aint about giving chances, you know. If you pick up that controller, and I'm on the other end, YOU'RE DEAD, plain and simple. Nah, big head aside, I just hope Crimson Skies lives up to the hype that I have so willingly giving into.

MerimacHamwich
10-23-2003, 12:15 AM
^
That right there is one of the reasons I don't play Mech Assault anymore. Poeple on there are OBSESSED with rankings and personal glory so to speak. Doesn't seem like anyone is there to have fun with a few poeple. They just want to trash someone to make themself feel cooler. Well, that's what I get from it anyway. I also think that the type of gameplay involved is one of the main contributors to this mentality.

thegamepeddler
10-23-2003, 12:28 AM
Just got done playing it, and it doesnt remind me of MechAssault(which I also own) at all. It reminds me alot more of Bloodwake than anything else. The only difference is that Crimson Skies is not totally bland and you're in a plane instead of a boat.

I'd be surprised if some of the guys that worked on Bloodwake werent on this team. Now, I know what you're thinking "ew, Bloodwake". But this is like all the good parts of Bloodwake w/ the bad parts VASTLY improved.